[REMOVE ADS]

JAMIE - Eddie Holland

Does anyone know who did the string arrangement on this song? This was one of the early Motown records recorded in Chicago [[if I'm not mistaken, at RCA). Thanks.

I think it was done by Raynoma Singleton.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  21.1 KB
    Raynoma [[Liles) GORDY [[at that time). If either she or Berry would have known what would happen in 1963-64, she wouldn't have been working on "Jamie". I'm surprised to hear that she arranged strings. I assume Motown didn't use Gordon Staples yet, in 1961 [[but not sure).

Would it have been Riley Hampton?

I just pulled out Raynoma's book, and she wrote that she did the string arrangement for JAMIE, with assistance from Sonny Sanders. According to her, the session was done at Hitsville, with eight string players from the Detroit Symphony.
    Last edited by reese; 06-14-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Decided to play the Eddie Holland Marginal CD...then logged on and see an Eddie Holland thread......Spooky
    Would be a good project for ACE/KENT wouldn't it?

Oooh, yes please !!

I firmly believe that Ron has clinched the deal. He said please!

Ron....can you ask for a few more.

oh and please!

LOL

Ramone Verona Guest
    I enjoy this song a great deal.
    First heard it on the "HARD TO FIND MOTOWN CLASSICS" series.
    Those came out so long ago, now.
    Hard to believe.
    I remember thinking to myself: "probably never hear another song by these uncelebrated artists again".
    Sure caught on; albeit it took many, many years of vaulting.
    Andy was probably working in the vaults way back "then".
    Although George most likely had to change Andy's diapers every 15 minutes!
    Last edited by Ramone Verona; 06-14-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Eddie Holland recorded two versions of "Jamie." The original single and LP versions were released on October 20, 1961 and the second single version in January 1962. Did Ray arranged them both and were both versions cut in Detroit? Interesting.
    Last edited by dvdmike; 06-14-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  21.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I just pulled out Raynoma's book, and she wrote that she did the string arrangement for JAMIE, with assistance from Sonny Sanders. According to her, the session was done at Hitsville, with eight string players from the Detroit Symphony.
    I never heard that "Jamie" was recorded in Chicago. So, this sounds right to me. But, in any case, the strings could have been recorded in Detroit, and the remaining instrumental could still have been recorded at RCA in Chicago, as could Eddie Holland's vocals. But, I think most [[if not all) of the recording of "Jamie" was done in Detroit.

I thought it was held that Jamie was the first song recorded at Hitsville using strings

According to CMS volume 1 - The original backing track for "Jamie" was recorded for Barrett Strong with string arrangements my Raynoma and Sonny Sanders. When Barrett left the company in 1961, the track was still there, so Eddie Holland overdubbed his vocal. This was also the first hit to feature the Andantes [[Louvain Demps, Jackie Hicks and Marlene Barrows) on background.