[REMOVE ADS]

The Spinners Unsung!!

looking forward to tonights Unsung on The Spinners. Too bad it was made after Harvey Fuqua passed It would of been neat to hear his side of the Spinners story.

Should be epic! Can't wait. With these cats and others getting older, we need to interview them and preserve our soul history. Thank you Unsung!

and thank you in advance for the reviews that I am hoping you two might offer to us here!

*smile*

I wonder if they will go into detail about Mr Henderson? This is the one I have been waiting for,
    Steph

Gotta wait for tomorrow -- darn! I saw some clips, however, good interview with Bobbie, nice comments from Henry, and G.C. talking about "It's a Shame." G.C. looks really young ... wish when he returned to The Spinners that he stayed and didn't go Tempts, but that's a story for another day. Good job "Unsung."

Very good show but they never mentions I'll Always Love You.

oh hell no, I missed it, thinking 10:00 and it came on at 9:00.........

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    oh hell no, I missed it, thinking 10:00 and it came on at 9:00.........
    I don't know where you live, but in the Eastern Time Zone, the Spinners Unsung was on TVOne from 10-11PM. The Deniece Williams Unsung was repeated last night from 9-10PM Eastern time.

Enjoyed this one tremendously. Was glad to see John Edwards is doing as well as can be expected. I loved his tenure with the Spinners. Also caught that they gave C.P. Spencer a shout out as I had heard he was part of the early nucleus of the group and "heard" he was on the record, "That's What Girls Are Made For".

Nosey

CP Spencer deserves a whole programme devoted to his career

Does anyone know when the full episode will be up on the internet? It's not there ... waiting impatiently.

I'm watching it now on TVOne website.

http://www.tvoneonline.com/shows/sho...d=1219&id=3369

Thanks GeeTee. I just started watching and already learned something new. For years I believed the Spinners were either from Lincoln Park or Allen Park, Michigan [[both South of Detroit) and here that say they were from Ferndale!

Thanks TVONE,for doing a great story on THE SPINNERS,It's about time,someone give THE SPINNERS some RESPECT,i would love to see a movie on THE SPINNERS,what a story.and the music plays on,what a MIGHTY LOVE[[smile)
    Please stay positive

I am having terrible problems getting it to load

I have managed to watch about 25 minutes of this programme in 6 hours. Is anyone else having problems trying to get it to load

I give up.....can someone tell me what happens from when Phillippe decides to leave and they start to play a clip of Working My Way Back to You.

I'm a bit disappointed their Motown years was glossed over but I guess that was because they had so much to deal with.

I, too, had loading problems, it went out completely about a 1/4 the way in just after the interview with G.C. Cameron. What the heck? I hope it's fixed today.

I've always really liked G.C., have his latest solo album and so forth, saw him in concert with The Spinners in his second go-round with the group and with The Temptations, he shook my hand after the show. Seems like a neat guy. Anyway, his quote in "Unsung" was fabulous, I'm paraphrasing here ...he's talking about the death and destruction of his time in Vietnam and his return to the U.S. and joining the group.

"When I put down the gun, I put down death. When I picked up the microphone, I picked up life."

That was very moving to me.

I had the same problem yesterday. Hopefully the link has been fixed. I'll check in a few minutes. It kinda left me hanging,right when it was getting interesting.

Red face

[

Members of the Spinners were indeed from Ferndale or "8 Mile." Watching the Unsung episode made me remember that I have cousins who knew some of the Spinners. They were indeed celebrities in the 8 Mile community. My female cousins talked about them all of the time and followed their career.
    I noticed a building in the Unsung episode that has been there for years.
    Some things never change.

I got to see the Spinners perform at the Fox Theater a few times. The last time was in 1969, they had a local hit with In My Diary and did the Brown Beatles and Motown Review bit. I'd see G.C. Cameron riding through my neighborhood in a sports car with the top down, hair blowing in the wind. Those were interesting times.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 06-15-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Was George Edwards mentioned?

Still no better reception. It keeps going back to the beginning.

Technically, this thing is a nightmare, I finally got to the into to John Edwards and it just keeps buffering. It's taken me hours to get there ... fix it please, Unsung. I'd like to contact them and tell them, but don't see where I can.

The documentary is awesome ... when I can watch it.

You have to scroll down to the bottom of the page ,and look for the About Us section. Not much help there,because the have a telephone number to their New York and Chicago office,but now a direct email address.

I called the Chicago office,and left a message.

I e-mailed them, it's gotten worse. With a computer techie on every corner these days, it shouldn't happen. This is very disappointing, going on 2/3 days of this happening.

I am having trouble with it too. I hope this episode makes it too youtube. I thought it was just my internet connection.

jeez.......

Good News! GO to you tube and type in Spinners unsung and the whole show is there,
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Good News! GO to you tube and type in Spinners unsung and the whole show is there,
    Stephanie
    Hey thanks Stephanie! I remember the first time I saw the Spinners in concert, summer 1974, John Edwards was a solo artist and was on the bill with them at the Toledo Sports Arena!

An hour is just not enough time to really do their story justice. But it was a good program overall.

Thanks Stephanie, I'm about to do that in a few minutes.

I only was able to see the beginning of the program, but from all indications, all of the early sites they referred to were in Royal Oak Township, Michigan which is next to Ferndale Michigan. I would have to ask someone older than me, but from what I know of the neighborhood, it is highly unlikely that there were any African-Americans in Ferndale in the 1940's and 1950's.

Hi!

Henry Fambrough: "We went to school together. Pervis, Henry and me - we went to Grant elementary school. Billy went to Carver school, which is about three or four blocks away, but it was the same neighbourhood, though. On one side of Wyoming Avenue there is the Royal Oak Township, and on the other side of Wyoming there is Ferndale. During the summer the guys in the neighbourhood used to meet at the basketball court on Grant's playground..."

Billy Henderson: "Where we lived in Ferndale was like a housing project type of a situation. Most of the guys that were in the group went to Grant school. I went to Carver. One side of the street we called the Grant side, and I was on the project side..."

Stingbeelee, unfortunately I haven't been to Detroit yet, but this is what the guys told me nine years ago. Maybe this is familiar to you.

[[Soul Express: The Spinners story, part 1).

Best regards
    Heikki

Day 4 of Unsung's Spinners episode not working. Not sure any of those Unsung employees read this site, if you do, could you please fix the darn thing? I'm guessing in the city where you live there are computer techies who can fix this.

* Heikki's 6-part series on The Spinners in Soul Express magazine is the definitive read on the group. I highly suggest it, it's phenomenal.

Thanks Stephanie

I managed to see it all at last!

I went to YouTube, someone put it up, looks like off their TV, which is fine, I got to see the entire thing. Can't believe TV1 can't get this fixed. That said, the show was excellent, hit on all the important parts. Sad that John Edwards had a stroke and is in a wheelchair, though it was cool he got on stage and sang and still has the voice. I've always liked John a lot, a very talented guy and his own man, who didn't try to be Phillippe. The new guys -- Marvin, Charlton, and Jesse -- came across very well, too.

Nice history and tribute to my favorite group.

Heikki;
    Wow, I am not too sure that the guys have it correct. Royal Oak Township is on both sides of Wyoming, and the general borders are Meyers to the west, Northend to the north, Mitcheldale to the east and 8 mile to the south. With all of the rampant "redlining" that was going on in the neighborhood - the infamous "Berlin Wall" comes to mind, I am thinking that the Spinners were in Royal Oak Township, certainly the places in the unsung are in Royal Oak Township. Part of the confusion is that, under the postal system, all of it is Ferndale. I grew up not too far from there, on the Detroit side, and growing up we had to fight the people from the 'ship [[as we called them) when we went swimming at Johnson Recreation Center which was located at Cherrylawn and Chippewa. I am going to Detroit Yes! and see what they may know about Ferndale in the 40's and 50's. I could be wrong about the boundaries!

You are welcome Xtown! I am shocked we dont have more responses regarding this UNSUNG it was very informative! I wish it had been 2 hours and although they didnt talk about Motown a lot I was happy to hear about the Brown Beatles and each flunkie job each Spinner had at Hitsville USA! It seems like men liked Gwen Gordy she has been around GC said she took good care of him! Nice to see Thom Bell he rarely does interviews.

Steph

I was real pleased to see Thom Bell too. That guy needs a special all of his own.

RossHolloway Guest
    I was able to catch most of the show last night. I took a call during the break when the were talking about their song It's A Shame and what eventually led them to leave Motown and GC's split with the group. Can anyone fill in the details?

Motown didn't renew their contract,so the left. GC Cameron was under contract,and stayed with Motown.

Red face Gc cameron

GC Cameron has an official site on youtube.
    Please feel free to leave a comment or ask questions, he will be happy to reply.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/gccameronify?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Steph

I was real pleased to see Thom Bell too. That guy needs a special all of his own.
    Bell is extremely intelligent and I would call a musical genius. He had some great insights, very sharp. The part about Phillippe was interesting:

Wynne: "I'm going to leave."
    Bell: "Tell me, other than Rubberband Man, which songs did you sing all the lead on?"
    Wynne: "That's not it."
    Bell: "That is it."
    Wynne: "You don't understand."
    Bell: "I think you're making a mistake."

On G.C., I heard him with The Temptations as well as his return to The Spinners. While he did well on the Tempts tunes, he's a Spinner all the way. He was a better fit for the group and wish he would've stayed upon his return. Nevertheless, I like him a lot and he seems to be a really good guy and comes across very well on Unsung.

The group certainly has an interesting history.

Quote Originally Posted by tsull1 View Post
    On G.C., I heard him with The Temptations as well as his return to The Spinners. While he did well on the Tempts tunes, he's a Spinner all the way. He was a better fit for the group and wish he would've stayed upon his return. Nevertheless, I like him a lot and he seems to be a really good guy and comes across very well on Unsung.
    I agree with you about that, I prefer him in the spinners and solo than in the tempts.

Quote Originally Posted by bjmingo View Post
    GC Cameron has an official site on youtube.
    Please feel free to leave a comment or ask questions, he will be happy to reply.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/gccameronify?feature=mhee
    You know they could do an Unsung episode on G.C. He has such a great and interesting story of his own.

Hey, People...You might want to check this out!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXFuDXMGBN8