Super interesting read!

If The Isley Bothers did record a version of I Heard it Through The Grapevine, it seems to be burried deep and yet to see the light of day. As discussed, there's more then one odd decision regarding Motown maintenance of their legacy/integrity. But that shouldn't stop the 'original' recording coming out.

The 'original' recording of IHITTG is the stuff of legand, even making a prominent pop up in the Histsville documentary, with Berry Gordy calling his PA for confirmation. If Ron Isley's story is true, The Isley Bothers recorded the first version after Marvin Gaye's original demo version in 1966, using the same backing track. The The Miracles cut their first version, also in 1966.

And then the track went on live more Motown lives than Dr Who;
Gladys Knight & The Pips [[1967)
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles [[with new vocals 1968)
Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers [[1967)
Marvin Gaye [[& The Andantes 1968)
The Temptations [[1968)
The Rustix [[1969)
Sounds Nice ft Tim Mycroft [[1970)
The Undisputed Truth [[1970)
Rare Earth [[1978)
Bettye LaVette [[1982)
Michael McDonald [[2003)
Calum Scott w/ Ray Parker Jr [[2018)

I always thought a Stevie Wonder interpretation of IHITTG circa 1968-1972 would have had huge potential. We have his live renditions to only imagine could have been.

The other interesting Isley Brothers song from Soul On The Rocks is that they recorded a cover of Whispers [[Getting Louder) - a 1966 Jackie Wilson song backed by The Funk Brothers and The Andantes. I mean, that had BG beef written all over it… Perhaps he was too busy.

In summary I agree, The Isley Brothers tenure at Motown - though fraught with tension and denied its true potential - was and is a phenomenal contribution to Black Music history.

We know it even if those involved don’t wanna talk about it.

In the meantime, here’s praying there really is an Isley Brothers version of Grapevine, which will someday surface and grace our ear and their legacy.