[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    i look forward to seeing if this sparks renewed interest in the Supremes. I know if Mary was still with us, she would be all over the media. I certainly hope the World will see and remember the specialness of Mary, Diana, Flo, Cindy and all of the other ladies in the Supremes. This was long overdue. I am sure Diana feels as we all do that she and the group deserve the honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Fingers crossed. Hopefully it might renew interest in the groups back catalogue, leading to at least one further expanded being released in the next fifty years lol.
    Amen. Last I heard, REFLECTIONS was complete and waiting on the "green light".

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    And, boy... has it been a long wait for that green light! Maybe someone, somewhere could press the "walk" button so that light will finally change! LOL

[P.S.: That was the same intel I'd heard about Reflections: EE, too, Mary!]

That’s the problem. We had heard Ross 78 was completed as well and was waiting for the green light. This green light seems to take forever.

Dana and Mary’s relationship was always a complicated one. Personally i always viewed those complications from both women’s point of view as opposed to Diana the saint and Mary the sinner.
    If Diana did indeed turn down the opportunity to accept such an incredibly prestigious award, therefore preventing the Supremes from being honoured then yes, i consider that’s fairly self centred. Not only that, it would have prevented Mary Wilson the prestige and honour of being part of that recognition.
    Diana has always performed Supremes songs because she knows thats what the public wants and expects from her. She has often said she is rarely sentimental about the past, always looking to the future.
    The Supremes meant so much to so many. Not just for their phenomenal musical achievements, but in breaking down cultural and social divide.
    I doubt given the opportunity, Mary would have ever have turned down a chance to honour the group she was always so very proud to have been a part of.
    I don’t know where this Saint ✛ Sinner thing comes from, I don’t know anyone who considers Diana a saint. The way I see it, both women went after what they wanted and left a few casualties in their wake. I think that maybe Diana was oblivious to many of her transgressions because of her ego, thoughtlessness and anxiety; where Mary, 99% of which is the sweetest kindest most fun loving and just plain loving person, with a 1% very calculated nuclear bomb.

of course I don’t know if Diana had ever been contacted by the Grammys, I assume that she had and that she said no. Now on that assumption I’ll put another assumption, she may not have known that her participation was mandatory in order to achieve the award. After all many other awards were given to the group without Diana‘s participation, perhaps she had every reason to think this would be the same way. That being said, I don’t think that even if they told her she was mandatory, it would’ve changed her mind. Hey I’m a Supremes fan, I would’ve loved for this to happen 20 years ago or 30 years ago when it should have and yes, if Diana knowingly kept the group from getting the award, it was very selfish. And it’s terrible that Mary never got to enjoy owning a Grammy. And, there are those who would lay the blame for this solely at the feet of mary four of the public rows over the years. if she hadn’t have done such and such diana wouldn’t have done such and such and Mary only did such and such because Diana did such and such. It’s real chicken in the egg thing.
    In my point of you the Supremes were so deserving of this award that it shouldn’t have mattered if anyone was going to accept. What group deserved it more, ever? On the other hand, it’s selfish of others to want Diana to do what they want her to do when they know she doesn’t want to do it. We all want things. Maybe we can all be selfish.

If they give this award to dead people who don’t attend and given that this isn’t televised, why is it so definitive and critical for Diana to agree to attend in order for the Supremes to be given the award?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I don’t know where this Saint ✛ Sinner thing comes from, I don’t know anyone who considers Diana a saint. The way I see it, both women went after what they wanted and left a few casualties in their wake. I think that maybe Diana was oblivious to many of her transgressions because of her ego, thoughtlessness and anxiety; where Mary, 99% of which is the sweetest kindest most fun loving and just plain loving person, with a 1% very calculated nuclear bomb.

of course I don’t know if Diana had ever been contacted by the Grammys, I assume that she had and that she said no. Now on that assumption I’ll put another assumption, she may not have known that her participation was mandatory in order to achieve the award. After all many other awards were given to the group without Diana‘s participation, perhaps she had every reason to think this would be the same way. That being said, I don’t think that even if they told her she was mandatory, it would’ve changed her mind. Hey I’m a Supremes fan, I would’ve loved for this to happen 20 years ago or 30 years ago when it should have and yes, if Diana knowingly kept the group from getting the award, it was very selfish. And it’s terrible that Mary never got to enjoy owning a Grammy. And, there are those who would lay the blame for this solely at the feet of mary four of the public rows over the years. if she hadn’t have done such and such diana wouldn’t have done such and such and Mary only did such and such because Diana did such and such. It’s real chicken in the egg thing.
    In my point of you the Supremes were so deserving of this award that it shouldn’t have mattered if anyone was going to accept. What group deserved it more, ever? On the other hand, it’s selfish of others to want Diana to do what they want her to do when they know she doesn’t want to do it. We all want things. Maybe we can all be selfish.
    The thread regarding Motown 25 was a perfect example of Ross apologists. Mary cast as the demon in red, with Diana of course only doing what she thought best. The saint and the sinner. RTL being another prime example.
    Regardless of personal reasons, for Diana to turn down an opportunity for the group to have been honoured years ago, therefore preventing it happening would imo have been an insult to the legacy of the Supremes and all they stood for. For that reason alone i really hope she didn’t.
    I think it matters very much who is there to accept such an incredibly prestigious award. Not bothering sends a clear message. Mary was so incredibly proud of the Supremes and all they achieved that to not turn up would have been unthinkable to her.
    As a fan I’m just so pleased the group is finally getting the recognition they so very much deserve. It’s just sad the longest standing group member isn’t around to join in the celebrations.

So far on her Twitter feed, Diana has not acknowledged this. To be fair, Nancy Wilson of Heart hasn't acknowledged either the one she's getting with her sister.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post

PS: Is anybody sweet 99% of the time MM. That’s a tall order, even for those with the purest of intentions.

The timing of this special award to the Supremes as part of this year's ceremony is perfect for Ross.

By having an album in her name nominated in some category in this same year, it keeps Ross relevant. Otherwise just accepting the Supremes award would make her presence there as but that of a legacy artist who used to be in the Supremes way back hundreds of years ago.

As it is, to an extent this new lifetime distinction siphons off a portion of Ross' claim as already being a Grammy lifetime achiever that had already included her Supremes years without specifically including a nod to anyone else involved in that part of her musical 'lifetime'.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-15-2023 at 05:38 PM.

Well, with the award season now in full swing it is still very nice that the Supremes will finally be recognized. I don't think that they offered it before and Diana Ross declined it so as to not be onstage again with Mary Wilson. That would be a horrible and selfish thing to do. Many groups have been awarded things and appear together even though they don't get along personally anymore. It would be a shame if that was true as Mary is now no longer with us. I just don't believe Diana would do such a thing because in celebrating the Supremes, she is celebrating herself along with Mary and Florence. This just would have been such a much more beautiful thing had it happened while Mary was still with us. Maybe in Heaven, Mary and Flo are looking at each other and saying "Honey, we is terrific!"

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Well, with the award season now in full swing it is still very nice that the Supremes will finally be recognized. I don't think that they offered it before and Diana Ross declined it so as to not be onstage again with Mary Wilson. That would be a horrible and selfish thing to do. Many groups have been awarded things and appear together even though they don't get along personally anymore. It would be a shame if that was true as Mary is now no longer with us. I just don't believe Diana would do such a thing because in celebrating the Supremes, she is celebrating herself along with Mary and Florence. This just would have been such a much more beautiful thing had it happened while Mary was still with us. Maybe in Heaven, Mary and Flo are looking at each other and saying "Honey, we is terrific!"
    That’s a nice sentiment Jim. Terrific they were.

This is happening today. Is there anyplace that we can see the Lifetime Achievement streamed live?

Sounds like Nicole and Turkessa will be accepting on behalf of their mothers. I hope Diana attends.

Sounds like Nicole and Turkessa will be accepting on behalf of their mothers. I hope Diana attends.
    I certainly hope so. She can’t really use Mary as an excuse now. With Flo and Mary’s daughters in attendance, it would be the gracious thing to do.

PS: Is anybody sweet 99% of the time MM. That’s a tall order, even for those with the purest of intentions.

Sometimes I get carried away, 99% is a stretch. However, I think that if you asked anyone who knew her they would tell you she was a real sweetheart. Calling diana ross a saint is also a stretch. Lord knows she’s had more than her share of diva moments, a quick temper and public examples of bad behavior: she should never of laid a hand on Mary at Motown 25 no matter how much she was provoked. And I believe she was provoked on purpose, but that’s not an excuse to act out like that. It’s just a reason. If I ever do meet diana ross, I hope she’s as nice as Mary was.

It's Lisa whos accepting for her Mom and shes already in LA.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    This is happening today. Is there anyplace that we can see the Lifetime Achievement streamed live?
    Milven, they are being presented with the award tomorrow at 3:30 PM EST, as part of the 'premiere ceremony'. It will be streaming live online on live.grammy.com and on their YouTube channel.

Name:  65th_GRAMMY_Awards_Feb_5_Schedule.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  52.7 KB

Thank you Carlo. I read earlier that they would be presented on Feb 4th, but then there was no further info. Thanks for the update ♪♪♪

You're welcome, Milven.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Thank you Carlo. I read earlier that they would be presented on Feb 4th, but then there was no further info. Thanks for the update ♪♪♪
    I'm sorry, Milven. I was totally wrong. The Lifetime Achievement Award was indeed presented and accepted today, by Turkessa and Lisa.

Name:  AP23036053712669.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  71.5 KB
    Last edited by carlo; 02-04-2023 at 10:31 PM.

Looks like Ross was a no-show.

No shade towards Diana in saying this, but I think with her not appearing at this ceremony, she has likely decided that Turkessa and Lisa can now accept any accolades for The Supremes going forward. I can imagine that, in part, it relieves Diana of having to answer the question of "why weren't you there all the other times with Mary before she passed?" that can dredge up topics Diana would likely prefer to put behind her now. Sure, she'll likely release publicity statements that are gracious about any possible awards given to The Supremes in the future, but I think we're looking at the future of any Supremes publicity with Turkessa and Lisa. These two ladies looked very pretty representing their mothers tonight!

I'm disappointed in Diana, but that's a really good point, Dan. Yes, they both looked lovely.
    Last edited by carlo; 02-04-2023 at 10:36 PM.

It wouldn't have killed her to send one of her five kids with a two sentence statement.

She can pass the baton all she wants, and truthfully, I hope she does. But how disrespectful to the legacy, the fans, and the Grammys.

Upon further thought...yes Dan, you're totally right. I think Diana likely wanted to give Turkessa and Lisa their moment to shine and to be able to celebrate their mothers' shared legacy. Her presence at this ceremony would have overshadowed both of them. I'm sure neither of them have seen Diana in years, and it would have potentially created some feelings of uneasyness and nervousness. Assuming that Diana had attended, perhaps they would have felt self-conscious about how long they're allowed to take with their speeches, etc, because the thought would be "This is Auntie Diana...she created this group with our Moms and she should be taking the most time to speak." Then I'm sure Jay would be all over it, coaching Turkessa and saying, "You should get just as much time to speak" [I know I'm making up scenarios, but I can realistically imagine this lol]. It would have created stress and overshadowed a celebratory moment for these ladies, and I think Diana just wanted them to have their moment, without all of that.

Plus, as you said Dan, it would be a weird look for Diana, if she had attended this, after years of not attending various Supremes' honours, because of her decision to both avoid Mary, and to defer all Supremes legacy related matters to her. If she had attended today, it would have looked like she was saying, "Mary is gone, so I can be here now."

On the other side of the coin, Mary Brewster is correct. She could have at least sent one of her daughters to accept the award on her behalf, but then would it have led to questions as to why their mother couldn't be there?
    Last edited by carlo; 02-04-2023 at 11:01 PM.

While I’m disappointed I guess I can see if she had shown up the media would mostly talk only about her and her pic would be the only one used. And if she’d sent her daughter everyone would have said “it’s like she sent her secretary”. And then people would say “oh now that Mary is gone you FINALLY decide to attend one”

There's no win, for sure.

But I still stand with Rhonda could have showed up with a nice statement and posed for a few pics. All on equal footing, representing their mothers.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Upon further thought...yes Dan, you're totally right. I think Diana likely wanted to give Turkessa and Lisa their moment to shine and to be able to celebrate their mothers' shared legacy. Her presence at this ceremony would have overshadowed both of them. I'm sure neither of them have seen Diana in years, and it would have potentially created some feelings of uneasyness and nervousness. Assuming that Diana had attended, perhaps they would have felt self-conscious about how long they're allowed to take with their speeches, etc, because the thought would be "This is Auntie Diana...she created this group with our Moms and she should be taking the most time to speak." Then I'm sure Jay would be all over it, coaching Turkessa and saying, "You should get just as much time to speak" [I know I'm making up scenarios, but I can realistically imagine this lol]. It would have created stress and overshadowed a celebratory moment for these ladies, and I think Diana just wanted them to have their moment, without all of that.

Plus, as you said Dan, it would be a weird look for Diana, if she had attended this, after years of not attending various Supremes' honours, because of her decision to both avoid Mary, and to defer all Supremes legacy related matters to her. If she had attended today, it would have looked like she was saying, "Mary is gone, so I can be here now."

On the other side of the coin, Mary Brewster is correct. She could have at least sent one of her daughters to accept the award on her behalf, but then would it have led to questions as to why their mother couldn't be there?
    But do we honestly think she's really thinking about Lisa and Turkessa and wanting them to have their moment? They're all grown women. When it was announced they were receiving this award on January 5th she and her kids made no word about it. She issued a half-hearted brief statement via her publicist for the Variety article just yesterday and that was it and probably all we'll hear about it. Today she posted about her son's restaurant but said nothing of today's award. Even if you look at her social media, she hardly ever posts videos or photos of her Supremes days. Would it have killed her to do the right thing and do what she thought Mary should have done during RTL and just "show up?" Of all the Grammy Special Merit honorees with the exception of Ann Wilson [[who's on the outs with Nancy) and the deceased honorees, all of the major players except her showed up - Nancy Wilson, Nile Rodgers, Slick Rick, Bobby McFerrin, Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic of Nirvana. Even if she didn't want to be there, would have been so difficult for one of her daughters to represent her? How nice would it have been to see the Supremes daughters together accepting on behalf of their mothers. She couldn't even do that right.

For all the turmoil that went down with the Beatles, I've never seen Paul, George, and Ringo treat their Beatles legacy as an afterthought the way Diana does with the Supremes.

I always have high hopes for her and each time she doesn't come through. I'm just really disappointed in her.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 02-04-2023 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I always have high hopes for her and each time she doesn't come through. I'm just really disappointed in her.
    I try my best to stay out of the partisan "Diana, not-Diana" wars on this here forum, but I have to agree with Brad. It is very disappointing that she seems to have completely given up on this part of her career other than to sing the hits occasionally. Perhaps when she "gave" the Supremes legacy to Mary, she really had no intention of ever recognizing it again. The hurt must go to the bone on this one. One would think Mary's passing might heal things, but apparently not.

Rather lacking in the gratitude dept. Her next project might be best titled :
    NO THANK YOU

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    But do we honestly think she's really thinking about Lisa and Turkessa and wanting them to have their moment? They're all grown women. Can no one act like an adult, be courteous, and just have their moment?
    In my mind, I feel like her decision had more to do with knowing the magnitude of her own celebrity, and how that causes others to act and react, in her presence...whether that be the media at the ceremony, Turkessa and Lisa, etc. She would have overshadowed both ladies, without even trying to. It's understandable that not everyone will agree with that being her reason for not attending.

I'm sure she would have been courteous to all, if she had decided to attend, and vice-versa with Turkessa and Lisa. I agree that she should have posted about this honour on her social media. I seem to remember Diana sending Rhonda to accept a Supremes' award, alongside Mary, years ago, possibly when she was in rehab? [Reese will probably be able to confirm this ] Not sure why she couldn't have done something similar today, or what the thought process was behind her decision...or if she even cared to think about it at all?
    Last edited by carlo; 02-05-2023 at 12:38 AM.

I'm in the disappointed category. I always thought that it could be a potential PR nightmare for Diana to show up for this Supremes award, now that Mary is deceased. With Diana and the Supremes, it is sometimes for Diana a damned if she do and damned if she doesn't situation. But I thought that with her own Grammy nom for TY that it would be the perfect excuse for why it was so "easy" for her to attend this ceremony for the Supremes. I also wondered, to myself, if she might send one of her children to do it, since the other two Supremes would be represented by their children.

I'm terribly disappointed in Diana. And Brad's post sums up perfectly what I feel is wrong with this whole thing. I'm so disappointed- and I know this won't go down well with my fellow Diana fans- that I'm not even rooting for Diana's album to win. Nope. Sorry. Can't. Won't. I won't spend energy rooting against it, but if she doesn't win, I'll shrug my shoulders and mind my business, not feeling the least bit sorry for her.

I am a Diana Ross fan because she was once a Supreme. Had I never become a Supremes-aholic, I am doubtful I would have ever become a Diana-holic. Because the Supremes are my all time favorite singing group, I am terribly protective of their legacy and Brad lays out the perfect case of how Diana seems to disrespect that legacy. Yes, I recognize that after her exceptional work as a Supreme that Diana Ross went on to have a decades long successful solo career, that spanned a great portion of her life, eclipsing the amount of time she was an actual member of the group. I do not deny her right to be more invested in her solo legacy rather than the legacy she shares with others. Perhaps on some level I can even understand it.

But make no mistake about it: Diana Ross just dissed the Supremes. A Grammy is considered the highest honor in the music industry. Nobody knows Diana Ross' name if not for the group that was being honored and it appears that she couldn't give two spits. How disrespectful to the very thing she- along with Florence and Mary- created. I don't care about whether or not she's a nostalgic person and prefers to look ahead, yada, yada, yada. This was a moment for her to stand in her Supreme glory and acknowledge the long overdue acknowledgement of the recording industry that the Supremes were something special.

I'm not usually someone who thinks people have to show up for this thing or that thing, but this one has pissed me off. As a fan, I'm officially giving up hope of Diana ever accepting her role as the last original Supreme standing. I genuinely feel like she doesn't care and that's a turn off for me. But at the end of the day, she's grown and I have to respect her right to attend or not attend anything she makes a decision about.

But I don't have to like it. And I don't. As a fan, I'm offended. I love her, that won't change. But when we get together at the end of the month for our monthly dinner date, I will ignore her the whole time, while humming obscure Supremes songs to piss her off.

Here’s a Facebook post about this and an indication of why she might not have appeared:

Why bother now? Flo and Mary are gone. Once again Diana  will get the center spotlight. She probably won’t even mention the other two. 

Does anyone think Turkessa and/or Lisa might have been consulted about this? Or considered the possibility ?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Can't. Won't.
    Can't AND won't [/obscureArcherreference]. This is serious now, Boyz.
    Seriously though, you said it well Ran. I completely agree with you.
    Last edited by thanxal; 02-05-2023 at 02:33 AM.

BTW - I vaguely recall someone taking flak for writing that the Supremes died with Mary Wilson. Whoever said that has just been vindicated.

Ironic that her latest release is THANK YOU.

She doesn't even know the meaning of those two words.

Folks are always saying The Supremes never receive the respect they deserve for what they achieved not only in music history but breaking down barriers etc etc...THIS is the resaon why ....if the person that created this history cant be arsed to acknowledge it herself why should everyone else bother...I have been a Diana fan from the age of 12 and thats a lot of years but this has really pissed me off..its not only a slap in the face for The Supremes legacy but also for the fans.

I normally don’t wade into these sequin-and-wig-laden waters lately, but damn, Diana. I just woke up excitedly searching Google for images of Ross, Turkessa and Lisa basking in the glow of this honor together—and was crushed to see her absent. AGAIN. I echo most of the sentiments above. I know that we can’t know the lady’s reasons, but it still feels like spit in the eye. And this is coming from someone who’s dedicated 45 years of his life to defending her. “Where Did Our Love Go,” indeed.
    Last edited by sansradio; 02-05-2023 at 09:09 AM.

Unless there's going to be a segment set aside for tonight's main ceremony to honor the Supremes and Diana appears for that [[and Turkessa and Lisa share the stage with her to represent their moms), or if Diana was suddenly taken ill and cancelled at last minute for last night, there's really no excuse for her not showing up last night, or at least having one of her children be there to accept for her. Turkessa and Lisa aren't in show business so using the excuse that she didn't want to steal their spotlight doesn't wash with me.

Anyway let's see what happens, or doesn't happen, tonight, but right now I've a sour taste in my mouth.

The picture of Turkessa and Lisa is beautiful. In a million years, I can NOT see Diana standing with them.

If it did happen, people would talk and it would also stir up all the old accusations of Diana being evil. Diana was right to stay home.

Was Cindy included in the award? If not, why not. Cindy was an awesome Supreme during their heyday.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I seem to remember Diana sending Rhonda to accept a Supremes' award, alongside Mary, years ago, possibly when she was in rehab? [Reese will probably be able to confirm this ] ...
    When the Supremes were honored by the Rhythm and Blues Foundation, the award was accepted by Mary and Flo's daughters. Rhonda was there "unofficially" representing her mom, according to J. Randy. So I don't know if she actually took the stage with them.

Re the Grammy no-show, disappointed is the word I can use. This morning, I signed on to my email to find some photos from the event sent by a friend. When I didn't see Diana up there with Turkessa and Lisa, my heart sank because I just knew she would be present. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as she also didn't attend the MusicCares event for Berry and Smokey on Friday night and I was just sure she would be present for that as well.

That said, I won't invent scenarios as to why she didn't attend because a) she'll never speak on it and b) I have no idea why. I'll just repeat that I am disappointed. She [along with Mary and Flo] more than earned every bit of that award and for her not to bask in it, again, to be repetitive, I am disappointed.

I am very happy for Turkessa and Lisa to honor their Mothers for their Grammy achievement [[FINALLY) as the Supremes. To answer questions, no other Supremes were included in this honor-only the Original members. I am disappointed in Diana Ross but by the same token I am not surprised. I remember reading she had her Supremes gold records shoved in a vanity in a bathroom once. She only acknowledges the Supremes as a starting point for her own glorious solo career-which is fine and good. However, she did receive a Grammy for her contributions to the start of her career as a group member. True, she may have felt she would overshadow the daughters of her deceased groupmates but like someone said-neither of them are singers. In fact I looked at this You Tube Grammy video and I do not see the Supremes on it even though the title mentions them. Plus, I agree that she could have-at the very least-sent one of her 5 children to accept on her behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    When the Supremes were honored by the Rhythm and Blues Foundation, the award was accepted by Mary and Flo's daughters. Rhonda was there "unofficially" representing her mom, according to J. Randy. So I don't know if she actually took the stage with them.
    Thanks Reese. I knew you'd come through I remember this as well, and I had read a rumour that Rhonda did not speak to Mary.

I agree, I'm disappointed too. In the midst of my extreme disappointment last night, I was stretching a bit to try and give Diana benefit of the doubt, in my earlier posts. I have a hard time imagining she would have indifference, when reflecting on her Supremes years...maybe more so, emotion, hurt and pain. However, by her age, there comes a point where you need to take a hard look, do the internal work and reconcile those feelings, within yourself. She deserved to be there, accepting that award...even if she possibly chose not to attend, in order to not overshadow Turkessa and Lisa. As far as I know, she still lives in LA, so it would have been very easy for her to have been there. I don't know if she still has feelings or is emotional when thinking about all of that water under the bridge with Mary and Flo, and maybe being there with their daughters would make her feel far too awkward and emotional. Who knows? However, at the end of the day, she's one of three who created this magnificent group and history. For her to not make a bigger attempt to acknowledge the award is a disservice to that legacy and to herself. She made herself look bad. Her continuing this behaviour of silence and aloofness over the years has perpetuated her own image and reputation issues.
    Last edited by carlo; 02-05-2023 at 10:51 AM.

When Diana is honoured as a"SOLO" artist the whole world and its mother turns up to support her yet when its one of her so called Motown family its a very very rare occasion that she will be there supporting them...like I said before I have been a lifelong fan of hers I have every single release from "I Want A Guy" to the latest ....every album and every CD...ive paid to see her numerous times so I guess that makes me a dedicated fan and im getting to the point where I just cant be bothered with her anymore...The Supremes made us all fall in love with her in the first place and she would be nowhere without them..dissing her roots and just accepting all the solo accolades and awards is just downright selfish...I will not be spending another penny on her EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    i look forward to seeing if this sparks renewed interest in the Supremes. I know if Mary was still with us, she would be all over the media. I certainly hope the World will see and remember the specialness of Mary, Diana, Flo, Cindy and all of the other ladies in the Supremes. This was long overdue. I am sure Diana feels as we all do that she and the group deserve the honor.
    I think it has sparked interest, but not in a positive way for Diana. Across the 'net, the consensus is that her actions [[or lack thereof) are inconsiderate, selfish, and disrespectful. It's hard not to agree.

I was going to write the exact same thing marybrewster.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    BTW - I vaguely recall someone taking flak for writing that the Supremes died with Mary Wilson. Whoever said that has just been vindicated.
    And to that point Al, as a fan, what this situation has done has made it even more real that the Supremes is dead. No disrespect to all the replacements, all of whom came in, usually during a time of great upheaval and stress, and assumed their position, embodying the very name SUPREMES. Definitely no disrespect to the women currently touring as the FLOS, doing their part to keep the legacy going. But the indisputable queens of the Supremes were Florence Ballard, Diana Ross and Mary Wilson.

When Mary was alive, she kept the Supremes alive. She lived it, talked it, hit us over the head with the history and accomplishments. One thing Mary was never going to do was allow the world to forget about the Supremes. And while it was always disappointing that Diana often refused- for whatever reason- to share in that enthusiasm, it was easy to shrug it off because Mary was doing so much. Also Mary was very good about making sure that Florence wasn't forgotten either. Whatever criticisms I have of the way Flo was sometimes used in Mary's books, there has been no bigger ambassador for Florence Ballard's legacy than Mary Wilson. So with Diana still doing her thing solo, Mary doing her thing solo as well as being a voice for the history of the group and, on top of that, making it a point to ensure that Florence was remembered and accounted for, it still seemed like the Supremes were very much here.

Now with Mary gone, my desire was that Diana would honor the group by taking up some of the slack that would occur with Mary being gone. I would never expect her to be as dogged about it as Mary. After all, Diana has her own HUGE career to look after, while a large chunk of Mary's career was the Supremes. Rarely did Mary's post Supremes work and life result in the kinds of highs she had while with the group. So when it comes to Diana, I figured to manage my expectations. But I thought for sure she'd pick up the mantle on occasion, especially something like a Grammy.

The realization that we'll probably never have any more Supremes stories told by an actual Supremes member, no never before seen candid photos from the personal archive, no recollections of the music and performances, the career highs, and yes, the career lows, has hit me like a ton of bricks.

I want to caution myself that I'm being too hard on the lady. She has her reasons. Try to understand. True, some of those Supremes days are probably difficult to look back on. But she has "sworn" on more than one occasion that there was more good than bad. Florence and Mary have both made similar statements. So what's the problem? I don't know.

In a week or two, I'll probably forgive this and pretend it never happened. I'll go back to listening to the music and focusing on how I feel when I hear Diana's beautiful voice, whether solo or alongside the beautiful voices of Florence and Mary. Whatever happens, I will always feel that this group I love is officially dead. Diana Ross is her own separate thing, and I'll deal with her as such. But when I watch the group singing "You Can't Hurry Love" on Sullivan, or them singing "My Heart Can't Take It No More" at the Apollo, it'll be like watching three people who no longer exist.

And that sucks.