Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
I've always thought about what would have happened if the 5th Dimension had been signed to Motown in the 60s. I think it was a blessing that they were NOT singed. More than likely, they would have been handed over to all the songwriters who worked with the artists who didn't have hits. Motown would have straightjacketed their unique group vocal style to fit the Motown Sound, including using the already-existing vocals of the Andantes and Originals on various tracks instead of the actual group. In fact, I'd bet that in time, they'd attempt to focus exclusively on Marilyn McCoo, gradually recording only her, to the exclusion of the others. We DEFINITELY wouldn't have gotten true albums [[as opposed to 12 songs recorded as possible singles) like "The Magic Garden," "Stoned Soul Picnic" and "The Age of Aquarius."

So, thank you Motown, for NOT signing the 5th Dimension in the 60s.
And I agree that The 5th Dimension wouldn't have been a good fit for Motown in the '60s. They excelled in the Sunshine Pop Soul sound that they had during their hit making run. However, their first single on Soul City, "I'll Be Loving You Forever", is a good example of what the group might've sounded like if they did sign with '60s Motown.