[REMOVE ADS]

Rare Footage of Diana's South Africa Trip/Concert in 1998

Happy holidays to all! This footage is new to me. Here are a couple of links to videos from Reuters/Screen Ocean's archive, containing footage from Ms Ross' trip to South Africa in April 1998. During this trip, she met Nelson Mandela and opened the MTN Sun Dome, which was a brand new arena at the time. In the first link, you'll see her rehearsing for the concert [including a snippet of Only Love Can Conquer All], followed by an excellent interview and a brief press conference with the media [keep watching to the end, as the screen goes grey at one point]. In the second link, you'll see some brief clips from the concert, which started with a sound/mic issue. Wishing everyone a happy and healthy new year! 😊🎉

https://reuters.screenocean.com/record/894242

https://reuters.screenocean.com/record/894244

Looking absolutely furious, she goes to hit the guy coming to her aid with the mic she’s holding. She can be rather scary if things don’t go quite to plan.
    The interview she did with tv and press is one of my very favourites. She appears so happy and relaxed, answering questions on politics, new music and even Marvin Gaye. Other then in 81, i never knew she had tried to work with Quincy Jones again.
    Interesting that she mentions she did not want to be sitting down putting on makeup to tour when she is 60. And here we are at 78 lol.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 12-27-2022 at 05:57 PM.

Lol I also noticed that diva moment, Ollie. It didn't seem like she was going to hit him, but she forcefully gave him the mic, in a moment of frustration. I can understand her frustration, especially when she seemed to put in some time the day before, rehearsing and making sure the sound was right...and the sound guys still managed to mess it up.

I noticed that this footage is already on YouTube, and then realized that I do remember seeing it some time ago, but I had forgotten.

https://youtu.be/r7aM7vUCiYs

I watch that interview on YouTube every so often. Love the little bit where she talks about film :/

That was a very enjoyable interview etc - thanks for posting it

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Lol I also noticed that diva moment, Ollie. It didn't seem like she was going to hit him, but she forcefully gave him the mic, in a moment of frustration. I can understand her frustration, especially when she seemed to put in some time the day before, rehearsing and making sure the sound was right...and the sound guys still managed to mess it up.

I noticed that this footage is already on YouTube, and then realized that I do remember seeing it some time ago, but I had forgotten.

https://youtu.be/r7aM7vUCiYs

I’m not so sure Carlo. She wields that mic like a weapon above her head, then rams it full force into the guys hand. I’m sensing at least one broken finger lol.
    I saw the same thing happen at a Randy Crawford concert but handled very differently. I can only imagine the abuse hurled at the sound tech after the concert.
    That aside it’s a great interview, with Diana appearing open and relaxed, revealing the youthful, almost girlish side of her persona.
    I was glad of the question regarding Marvin. Had his life not been tragically cut short, i feel sure they would have reunited at some point in time.