[REMOVE ADS]

Ultra Nice Spotlight on The Marvelettes & Smokey Robinson

It's always wonderful to see when mainstream media recognizes the Marvelettes. This article features a surprisingly rich relating of the group's chart achievements in light of "My Baby Must Be A Magician" as well as "The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game" and "When You're Young And In Love." Honestly, it was really a surprise to see an article celebrating the group for more than "Postman."

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/entert...www.google.com

Nice find and they seem to get all the details right! Great article, yes very nice to see Wanda in the spotlight!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Nice find and they seem to get all the details right! Great article, yes very nice to see Wanda in the spotlight!
    This literally made my day a lot brighter!

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    It's always wonderful to see when mainstream media recognizes the Marvelettes. This article features a surprisingly rich relating of the group's chart achievements in light of "My Baby Must Be A Magician" as well as "The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game" and "When You're Young And In Love." Honestly, it was really a surprise to see an article celebrating the group for more than "Postman."

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/entert...www.google.com
    Good Catch; thanks for sharing it. While it's too bad that The Marvelettes wouldn't have any more major hits after 'My Baby Must Be A Magician', they did well with their time in the spotlight.

After reading this post last evening I had to listen to the whole "Sophisticated Soul" album....one of my favorites I regularly listen to! I'll admit, I played the whole album twice, lol
    Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Good Catch; thanks for sharing it. While it's too bad that The Marvelettes wouldn't have any more major hits after 'My Baby Must Be A Magician', they did well with their time in the spotlight.
    Old fan magazines and Billboard magazines are really a good way to gauge an artists' career trajectory back when it was happening and it's been a really nice surprise to find that the group had quite a bit of press coverage. There are some really nice write ups about the Marvelettes and one that I especially enjoyed- they made it clear that the Marvelettes were NOT the Supremes, but it was in the most positive light. The article spoke about how Motown had strong girl groups and that the Marvs and Sups had each carved out their own unique identities, each one strong in their own way. I liked that a lot. Another ad I saw was trumpeting that Motown had 3 great chart-topping girl groups and they had the Marvelettes listed as #2 behind the Supremes and Martha & The Vandellas as #3. I don't think it was necessarily a ranking, but still it was nice to see that the group was much more high-visibility and regarded so highly than I think many of us have been lead to believe in later years.

I was a teen back in the day and it was always fun to write out my own "rankings." Those three groups were usually at the very top of the female groups and sometimes there would be variations in my thinking, I guess depending on what songs were out at the time. To the best of my recollection, the Vandellas and Marvelettes spent the most time at number one, with "maybe" Martha occupying the top spot a little more often.

Any day that my girls[the marvelettes]are mentioned is a great day indeed!!

It's refreshing to see Wanda Rogers & The Marvelettes get some mention -- especially of such high commendation. I've always loved ALL of the Motown artists, and faithfully bought ALL of their recorded output, but my favorites were always The Supremes, Martha/Vandellas, and The Marvelettes -- EQUALLY! Motown provided all 3 of its top Girl Groups with top-notch material and production, making all three of them equally important and exciting.