[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Worst Album Cover? FAREWELL

Many have suggested that "Merry Christmas" is the worst Supremes LP cover, but my vote goes for "Farewell". Yes, it was a "deluxe boxed set", but what could have or should have been a splashy end to the group is represented with a small black and white photograph. Even the "booklet" included isn't all that fantastic.

Was "Farewell" the first boxed set from Motown? I wonder why a gatefold wasn't used instead? Anyone recall what the price was in 1970? I imagine it was more expensive than a regular release.

Any thoughts on why subsequent releases of this were called "Captured Live On Stage"?

Some interesting questions. I think the name was changed so as not to "fix" the album at a moment in time - so that it might appeal to a wider audience who might not be interested in necessarily the "farewell" performance.

I like the packaging, but I agree the photo should have been much larger on the cover. But overall, I think the packaging gave the album the prestige that Gordy wanted, so as to make it such a major event.

Overall, I never cared much for the album. Too many speeches, and the third side with all the celebs singing - is it "Let the Sunshine In?" - I think maybe I played that side only once.

But as a commemorative edition of the last performance, it certainly lived up to that hype.

My next door neighbors gave this album to me for Xmas one year and I was so excited.

Even though I find the album lacking [not enough hits], I always thought the package itself was rather classy. Even though I don't know if it would be considered a true boxed set, versus a double album. I would venture that THE MOTOWN STORY collection from 1970 would be considered the first Motown boxed set, as it included five albums [each in its own individual sleeve], plus a booklet.

I agree that the FAREWELL cover photo [and the text beneath it] might be too small. Plus I don't think the photo itself is actually from the farewell engagement but at least on my copy, it is in color. The booklet is on a nice grade of paper, has some great color photos, and included a very nice collection of photos from the girls' early years, complete with a photo including Barbara.

The only complaints I have are the white cover doesn't lend itself to wear and tear. My copy became significantly darker [dirty, really] over the years until I finally replaced it. Also, unless one bought a sealed copy with a sticker, there's no way of knowing what songs are on the album since they aren't listed on the cover itself.

Note: I also have the Tamla-Motown edition of the album which is gatefold. It includes the same cover although the title is grey as opposed to the embossed title on the US version. The inside features black and white copies of the booklet photos of Diana with Marvin and Smokey and Claudette, as well as the individual profiles of DMC. The back cover has a photo of DMC on stage shrouded in darkness, only their faces visible.

While we're on the subject, I would consider the 1982 reissue as having one of the worst Supremes album covers. Why they changed the name to CAPTURED LIVE ON STAGE is a mystery as the cover still indicates that it is the group's final performance. Yet the only photo on the front is a small shot of the Frontier Hotel's marquee. The inside concert shot is a bad choice [it's rather dark], and the back photo is a fuzzy shot of Diana appearing to wave goodbye as she leaves the stage. They should have chosen a shot of DMC instead.

BTW: The reissue also had a sticker on it reading "The Original Dreamgirls?"
    Last edited by reese; 12-17-2022 at 12:43 PM.

Never really one of my faves. Agree with Kenneth in that there is just to much chatter, coupled with certain celebs singing badly to a song that stretches to infinity.
    The cover photo looks rather odd, being ridiculously small. It’s s real shame as Diana looks particularly glam in this shot. Instead we are left with a sea of white.
    Why they decided on renaming the album “Captured Live On Stage” remains a complete and utter mystery. What was so wrong with “Farewell”.
    Other then the historic value of being the groups final performance, the album imo is only noteworthy for Diana’s beautifully heartbreaking performance of “Didn't We”, and Marvin’s stunning, though sadly all to brief performance on “Let The Sunshine In”.

Ditto, ditto, ditto... even to the point that I also was going to comment that the cover photo on the 1970 release is actually in color and not black and white. I know there had to be good intentions by Motown for releasing such luxe packaging for the top star [oh, and those other two--LOL, j/k], but... the white box did not wear well [I've never run across a copy that wasn't dirty] and the box itself isn't very sturdy. BUT IN THE MOMENT, it was probably a significant investment in commemorating the final show[s] of DRATS and looked beautiful upon release/inside plastic. I just wish the cover photo was at least twice as big.

As for the contents, I agree with what everyone has said. There really weren't enough hits from their "long" career included. I had no problem with Diana's solo numbers being included, of course, but I think "Let The Sunshine In" was just too long. I can't remember whether Deke Richards ever told us something to this effect: was the rambling LTSI stitched together from multiple nights' performances or was that strictly from the final night? Either way, it just went on and on and on and... by the end, in spite of a couple of gems in the audience participation, most of it was mediocre singing that no fan really wants to hear. THE SAME for all the speeches from the Nevada senator and the Frontier management. It just went on and on and on and...without the visual aspect for all that talking, it lost something on vinyl. It's the kind of thing that I wish had stayed in the vault and then was only released on a subsequent CD release [or someday Expanded Edition--haha!]. Had there been any more musical performances [or even patter with the girls that wasn't TOO snarky!], it would have been better to include them over repeated choruses of a song that wasn't even their own and long speeches from people nobody remembers.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Ditto, ditto, ditto... even to the point that I also was going to comment that the cover photo on the 1970 release is actually in color and not black and white. I know there had to be good intentions by Motown for releasing such luxe packaging for the top star [oh, and those other two--LOL, j/k], but... the white box did not wear well [I've never run across a copy that wasn't dirty] and the box itself isn't very sturdy. BUT IN THE MOMENT, it was probably a significant investment in commemorating the final show[s] of DRATS and looked beautiful upon release/inside plastic. I just wish the cover photo was at least twice as big.

As for the contents, I agree with what everyone has said. There really weren't enough hits from their "long" career included. I had no problem with Diana's solo numbers being included, of course, but I think "Let The Sunshine In" was just too long. I can't remember whether Deke Richards ever told us something to this effect: was the rambling LTSI stitched together from multiple nights' performances or was that strictly from the final night? Either way, it just went on and on and on and... by the end, in spite of a couple of gems in the audience participation, most of it was mediocre singing that no fan really wants to hear. THE SAME for all the speeches from the Nevada senator and the Frontier management. It just went on and on and on and...without the visual aspect for all that talking, it lost something on vinyl. It's the kind of thing that I wish had stayed in the vault and then was only released on a subsequent CD release [or someday Expanded Edition--haha!]. Had there been any more musical performances [or even patter with the girls that wasn't TOO snarky!], it would have been better to include them over repeated choruses of a song that wasn't even their own and long speeches from people nobody remembers.
    I enjoyed Jean Terrell's speech--short but succinct.

AS we know from the Mary anthology, there were other performances/shows recorded for this Frontier "Farewell" gig. Deluxe expanded edition anyone? Hopefully the "Let the Sunshine In" audience participation number wasn't as long at other shows due to lack of celebrities in the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    AS we know from the Mary anthology, there were other performances/shows recorded for this Frontier "Farewell" gig. Deluxe expanded edition anyone? Hopefully the "Let the Sunshine In" audience participation number wasn't as long at other shows due to lack of celebrities in the audience.
    The complete version of “Let the Sunshine In”, including audience participation ran for over three hours long The album version being severely edited.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    The complete version of “Let the Sunshine In”, including audience participation ran for over three hours long The album version being severely edited.
    "Is that the graveyard shift cleaning woman for the 12th floor of this hotel?! MAKE HER SING!" :[[ LOL

You , towel boy for the pool , join in !!

I’m really enjoying these comments; I cannot recall much discussion of Farewell on this site.

This LP is special to me as it was the ONLY Ross album my parents owned when I became a fan in 1975. The Stop! medley and live performances were my first introduction to the hits, and at nine years old I thought Let The sunshine In was incredible to listen to while leafing through the booklet. The speeches added to my excitement. There was nothing similar to this in my parents’ record collection, so I thought it was magnificent!

My dad, on the other hand, had no real interest in the album. He laughed when he explained to me it was offered at a discounted price when purchasing a bucket of chicken at KFC! He bought it believing it would someday become a collector’s item, and wouldn’t even give to me until several years later…

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    I’m really enjoying these comments; I cannot recall much discussion of Farewell on this site.

This LP is special to me as it was the ONLY Ross album my parents owned when I became a fan in 1975. The Stop! medley and live performances were my first introduction to the hits, and at nine years old I thought Let The sunshine In was incredible to listen to while leafing through the booklet. The speeches added to my excitement. There was nothing similar to this in my parents’ record collection, so I thought it was magnificent!

My dad, on the other hand, had no real interest in the album. He laughed when he explained to me it was offered at a discounted price when purchasing a bucket of chicken at KFC! He bought it believing it would someday become a collector’s item, and wouldn’t even give to me until several years later…
    What a great story!

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    "Is that the graveyard shift cleaning woman for the 12th floor of this hotel?! MAKE HER SING!" :[[ LOL
    There should have been a box set of this song alone.

Worst lp cover with Ross: Greatest Hits Vol. 3

After Ross: Tie; Jimmy Webb, At Their Best

I wonder what the thought was behind including the 117 minute version of LTSI. If I remember correctly, I thought I once read that getting the celebs to sign off was a clearance nightmare. I could see including a very condensed version, but to literally take up almost an entire side of a LP is ridiculous. Mary's and Cindy's chops must have worked overtime.

One last thought: was the released LTSI just one night, or was it strung together from several nights?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    One last thought: was the released LTSI just one night, or was it strung together from several nights?
    I wondered the same exact thing, Mary!

I did not think the cover was really that awful. I can remember when I saw it for the first time and I was very sad. Perhaps, that was the image or thought they were going for. LTSSI was good for a couple of things, one being I finally got to hear Cindy's voice and I got a good idea of who came out to see Diana Ross and The Supremes. I am still curious as to why they did not make Berry Gordy sing. The cover did not hold up well over the years though.

As far as the worst album cover my vote goes to the one where they cut their heads and they quickly reissued it.

Name:  51ORSWwgU-L.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  34.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I wonder what the thought was behind including the 117 minute version of LTSI. If I remember correctly, I thought I once read that getting the celebs to sign off was a clearance nightmare. I could see including a very condensed version, but to literally take up almost an entire side of a LP is ridiculous. Mary's and Cindy's chops must have worked overtime.

When I first received the album, I thought it was cool that all of these celebrities attended the girls' show and sang along. My only disappointment was that Tina Turner wasn't in the audience, although Diana mentioned her. I suspect Motown probably thought having the celebrity sing-a-long was a nice addition to the lp.

I don't think Deke ever mentioned whether LTSI was compiled from more than one night. Although I think that as much of a nightmare as it already was, having to match and edit tempos and such from various nights would have been even moreso.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    When I first received the album, I thought it was cool that all of these celebrities attended the girls' show and sang along. My only disappointment was that Tina Turner wasn't in the audience, although Diana mentioned her. I suspect Motown probably thought having the celebrity sing-a-long was a nice addition to the lp.

I don't think Deke ever mentioned whether LTSI was compiled from more than one night. Although I think that as much of a nightmare as it already was, having to match and edit tempos and such from various nights would have been even moreso.
    Not all celebs gave permission for their voices to be used, making editing a little easier if “LTSI” was indeed taken from one performance.
    Regarding sound continuity, Deke is quoted as saying that the final editing process for “Farewell” proved an absolute headache.
    I do wonder as to why there has never been any kind of dvd release being such a musically historic occasion??. Perhaps the film quality proved unusable.

Not all celebs gave permission for their voices to be used, making editing a little easier if “LTSI” was indeed taken from one performance.
    Regarding sound continuity, Deke is quoted as saying that the final editing process for “Farewell” proved an absolute headache.
    I do wonder as to why there has never been any kind of dvd release being such a musically historic occasion??. Perhaps the film quality proved unusable.
    Its not really surprising that it hasn't been released on dvd. Shows such as TCB, GIT, GOIN' BACK TO INDIANA, etc. should have been released on dvd years ago. But aside from MOTOWN 25 and some MOTOWN ON SHOWTIME episodes, it doesn't seem like Motown and/or Berry was really interested in pursuing the home video market.

Re FAREWELL, a few clips from the show made it to the PBS program BROWN SUGAR, albeit without sound. And a bit was shown on AMERICAN BANDSTAND early in 1970. I would hope that it was preserved well but only Berry knows.

Supposedly Berry is sitting on a virtual treasure trove of rare video. Someone he hired to help archive it was sworn to secrecy but did say the content was unbelievable. Many years ago, someone was offering rare Motown video and the FAREWELL concert was included. But the prices were ridiculous. A friend of mine asked did I wish to share the cost of some with him and some other fans. I was willing but my friend ended up changing his mind. I don't recall anyone ever saying they received any of this stuff.

I thought I'd shed a little light on this LP, not necessarily the cover which I know was the original topic.
    I might have mentioned this before. Everything on the Farewell album is from the farewell show. Nothing is used from another night. Every song performed is used on the album in the exact same order.
    Mary overdubbed her vocals on both of her solos. It's surprising to me that Deke didn't just use on of her performances from another night because they were all good except the last night.
    "Aquarius/Let The Sun Shine In" completely unedited only runs about 20 minutes.[[This doesn't include the monologue before the song) Approximately 4 minutes was cut for the album. Actor Hugh O Brian joined Diana but he's the only one who didn't sign off. His segment was a little more than a minute. The rest that was cut was mostly one chunk of instrumental when the ladies left the stage and the band continued to play.
    Other than that Deke trimmed some dialogue and surprisingly cut a segment where Diana gives Berry Gordy a very special introduction and invites him to the stage.

I think 90% of us if not all have a bootleg copy of GIT, TCB, GBTI on DVD transferred from VHS by now Farewell is probably the only one that remains iconic because it was never televised and the type of recording devices at the show during that time. That is not to say it does not exist.

This is probably all you are going to get 42 + years later

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    I thought I'd shed a little light on this LP, not necessarily the cover which I know was the original topic.
    I might have mentioned this before. Everything on the Farewell album is from the farewell show. Nothing is used from another night. Every song performed is used on the album in the exact same order.
    Mary overdubbed her vocals on both of her solos. It's surprising to me that Deke didn't just use on of her performances from another night because they were all good except the last night.
    "Aquarius/Let The Sun Shine In" completely unedited only runs about 20 minutes.[[This doesn't include the monologue before the song) Approximately 4 minutes was cut for the album. Actor Hugh O Brian joined Diana but he's the only one who didn't sign off. His segment was a little more than a minute. The rest that was cut was mostly one chunk of instrumental when the ladies left the stage and the band continued to play.
    Other than that Deke trimmed some dialogue and surprisingly cut a segment where Diana gives Berry Gordy a very special introduction and invites him to the stage.
    Many thanks for the info George, but i’m now utterly confused.
    Basically your saying Deke never had to piece the album together. The reason I’m confused being Deke spoke of using different vocal takes from other performances and the problems he faced in trying to match the sound level of the audience clapping to the other songs.
    Could you possibly clarify.

Thanks George for clearing all that up, appreciate that very much. Now just one last question.... Who has the video ?

I wouldn't say that Farewell or Merry Christmas have the worst cover. I think that truly belongs to Jimmy Webb. Runner-ups would be Greatest Hits Vol.3 and At Their Best. Jimmy Webb and Best had no photo on the front cover of the group but High Energy showed that you could really do something innovative regarding the cover. Mary, Scherrie & Susaye really had a beautiful front cover among many others that were very nice. It seems strange that TCB, GIT and Farewell are just not released or even shown on PBS. I am sure TJ has tried. Unsure of why there would be a hold up.

Many thanks for the info George, but i’m now utterly confused.
    Basically your saying Deke never had to piece the album together. The reason I’m confused being Deke spoke of using different vocal takes from other performances and the problems he faced in trying to match the sound level of the audience clapping to the other songs.
    Could you possibly clarify.
    I can only tell you what is on the tapes and there is no piecing together. I love Deke dearly and don't want to contradict him. Sometimes stories get embellished or memories become fuzzy over the years. How many versions of the "I Can't Dance To That Music" drama have we heard? Just how many female groups did Diana steal costumes from? How many variations of the "Where Did Our Love Go" story? Or the "no hit Supremes?" And let's not forget Diana STEALING "People" from Florence because Flo was getting a five minute standing ovation after her performance.
    Deke definitely had to do some editing and perhaps he made several attempts of using Mary's solos from other shows and it wasn't working out and eventually gave up and just had her overdub? Technology was different back then.
    And I honestly have no idea where the film of the concert is.
    Last edited by George Solomon; 12-18-2022 at 03:53 PM.

I agree with the photo of the supremes being larger ,but thought same of greatest hits 67.
    Beautiful drawing of the ladies that,imo, should have been larger.
    I personally didn't care for this album.it seems rushed, and where are the hits.
    The last show and some of their biggest hits are not performed??
    Worst LP cover, we remember sam cook
    At the cops
    Greatest 3

I can only tell you what is on the tapes and there is no piecing together. I love Deke dearly and don't want to contradict him. Sometimes stories get embellished or memories become fuzzy over the years. How many versions of the "I Can't Dance To That Music" drama have we heard? Just how many female groups did Diana steal costumes from? How many variations of the "Where Did Our Love Go" story? Or the "no hit Supremes?" And let's not forget Diana STEALING "People" from Florence because Flo was getting a five minute standing ovation after her performance.
    Deke definitely had to do some editing and perhaps he made several attempts of using Mary's solos from other shows and it wasn't working out and eventually gave up and just had her overdub? Technology was different back then.
    And I honestly have no idea where the film of the concert is.
    Many thanks for sharing the info you do have George. It’s certainly an odd one.
    Glad to hear your not harbouring that concert tape. Perhaps next time your invited to Gordy mansion you could take a peek around.

so George , no other hits were performed that night, basically this show is as is what we hear on the lp?

Thanks Mr. George for chiming in.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    so George , no other hits were performed that night, basically this show is as is what we hear on the lp?
    No other hits. And surprisingly some nights they didn't do "Love Child" or "Someday We'll Be Together!" But all the show tunes stayed in. I'd think at that point even a Vegas audience would want to hear The Supremes latest hits.

Fascinating insights as usual from the erudite Mr. Solomon!

i’d love to see an expanded edition of this come out with one disc devoted to an edited version of the concert without all the speeches and long extended passages of the sing-along from side three, which just focused on their songs including all the hits. I think it would make a great bonus disc along with the full concert. I suppose it will never happen that way but I guess if we get an expanded edition we could at least edit It down to just include the songs. I know it did come out on CD at one point but that seems to be a very hard to find release.

amazing , the show tunes stayed in but the hits were left out?
    thats crazy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    amazing , the show tunes stayed in but the hits were left out?
    thats crazy to me.
    Maybe that's the part they were saying FAREWELL to. The hits will go on forever .....not so the schlock .....

I thought, besides going on with Let the Sunshine in for too long, the show was a good balance set list wise between hits, show tunes and covers of recent songs.

Hits performed in full, or in part:

Stop
    Baby Love
    Come See About Me
    My World
    I'm gonna make you love me
    Reflections
    Love is Here
    Love Child
    Someday

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Oh Dear Lord. This cover ALWAYS makes me vomit
    Yeah, it does.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Yeah, it does.
    It is truly awful. I hate to say it, but it reminds me of a caricature, like a minstrel act or something in "blackface." Atrocious.

Thanks George, this was the end ...Mary and the Supremes would continue with the Supreme hits and Diana would include them in her concert dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I would have placed a cigar in the mouth of the middle set of teeth for added interest.
    The album was heavily tv promoted, selling by the bucket load. I remember as a vey young kid being excited by all the glowing reviews.

in regards to the covers, i think there are a few categories. Great covers, perfectly fine covers, covers with either good ideas or intentions but execution suffered or they got a little lazy and then finally just bad covers

i think Bad Covers include GH 3, Dynamite, Jimmy Webb

the good ideas that didn't pan out could include Xmas, Sunshine, Sup 75, Mag 7, Country, Sam Cooke

as for Farewell, i think it was a good idea but suffered from poor execution. the box and booklet create this lavish package but the idiotically small picture was a dumb idea. and the image selected is one that is so hard to distinguish. you surely could have found a sensational pic of the girls with their arms triumphantly up in the air or something far more dramatic. and then filled the space

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    It is truly awful. I hate to say it, but it reminds me of a caricature, like a minstrel act or something in "blackface." Atrocious.
    Exactly! I couldn't name the reason why I hate it but you completely nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Yeah, it does.
    Each to their own. I think this cover is truly brilliant. It is saying that 3 microphones and 3 obviously female black mouths are so iconic that you don't need to show any more than that to know it's the Supremes. And the fact that 2 mouths are 'oohing' while the one in the middle is singing further confirms it's Diana Ross. It's a really outstanding and smart piece of creativity. Unlike the chopped heads cover of the number 1's CD which is completely how NOT to convey 'iconic'.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    Each to their own. I think this cover is truly brilliant. It is saying that 3 microphones and 3 obviously female black mouths are so iconic that you don't need to show any more than that to know it's the Supremes. And the fact that 2 mouths are 'oohing' while the one in the middle is singing further confirms it's Diana Ross. It's a really outstanding and smart piece of creativity. Unlike the chopped heads cover of the number 1's CD which is completely how NOT to convey 'iconic'.
    Yeah, when you explain it that way, I get the concept and it should have worked that way, something iconic; but it just looks a bit shoddy in the execution and as Kenneth said, it ends up looking like all that blackface stuff from another era. BUT I do understand that all art is subjective. Case in point, I remember back in the 80s or 90s, there was a run of commercials to promote California raisins featuring claymation California Raisins characters. They were shown as if they were a Black R&B group and they of course had to be singing "I Heard It Through The Grapevine." A lot of people loved those commercials- I hated them. Absolutely. Because it just looked like yet another cliché of what people think all Black singing groups look like. Uggg. But it's just art and people will always see and hear it all differently.

i agree. i find it an extremely creative cover design. some i would just sit and stare at forever. like WDOLG, MS&S, New Ways, A Go Go, this one.

IMO it goes to show how amazingly iconic the group is. the lipstick signifies the glamorous style. 3 mouths. one wide and open, 2 going Ooooo. show this to practically anyone in the world and they'd guess "is this the Supremes?"

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    show this to practically anyone in the world and they'd guess "is this the Supremes?"
    Perhaps once.

I agree with lakedistrictlad and sup_fan. I think this is one of the most stunning album covers I have ever seen. I thought so the first time I saw it and I wasn’t surprised to see it included in a photography/art book on the best album cover art.

lakedistrictlad and sup_fan have given all the reasons why I love it. I have actually framed the album [looks great in a gold metal frame] so, like sup_fan, I can look at it whenever I want to.

I never thought of it being a blackface caricature. It is not comical, distorted or exaggerated. It is a beautiful iconic graphic of three iconic women, obviously Diana Ross & the Supremes. It ranks with Diana Ross 1976, The Boss and diana 1980 among my favorite album covers.

It’s sexy artsy I suppose in a cheap soft porn kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I agree with lakedistrictlad and sup_fan. I think this is one of the most stunning album covers I have ever seen. I thought so the first time I saw it and I wasn’t surprised to see it included in a photography/art book on the best album cover art.

lakedistrictlad and sup_fan have given all the reasons why I love it. I have actually framed the album [looks great in a gold metal frame] so, like sup_fan, I can look at it whenever I want to.

I never thought of it being a blackface caricature. It is not comical, distorted or exaggerated. It is a beautiful iconic graphic of three iconic women, obviously Diana Ross & the Supremes. It ranks with Diana Ross 1976, The Boss and diana 1980 among my favorite album covers.
    Well...I'm going to say this- y'all might get me to see that cover in a different light. I probably won't really ever warm up to it, but at the same time, I am getting a different perspective on it. It's somewhat like how I never warmed up to the Reflections album. I just couldn't get into it. But then I started reading all the positives that fans of the album discussed here and gradually, I did take another listen- surprisingly, I started hearing songs I wasn't into in a different way. Now, I actually appreciate the album more than I had before. So yeah, differing points of view can sometimes have a rather nice effect on an opinion sometimes.