[REMOVE ADS]

Supreme coincidence?

A letter to the editor in the LA Times this morning in response to an article about “Meaningful coincidences”:

“In the 1980s…whenever I was in my car I listened to the oldies station KRTH. I was struck by how almost every time…I turned that station on it was playing a song by Diana Ross or her group, the Supremes.
    One afternoon, while browsing in Bodhi Tree, the occult bookstore, I ran into Ms. Ross and told her about my experiences. She laughed and said, “Now that you’ve told me it’ll never happen again.”
    I’m happy to report that when I returned to the car, the first song I heard was Baby Love. Coincidence?”

Fun story. Would LOVE to know what book Diana may have purchased!

coincidence yes , but meaningful??

lol, now I'm wondering how Miss Ross felt when in the 80's was told, "whenever I turn on the oldies station I hear YOU !!!" ....

... "uh ya, thanks..."

hee haw!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    coincidence yes , but meaningful??

lol, now I'm wondering how Miss Ross felt when in the 80's was told, "whenever I turn on the oldies station I hear YOU !!!" ....

... "uh ya, thanks..."

hee haw!
    I think the article was exploring whether strange coincidences were meaningful or simply coincidence. This person certainly had a fun coincident.

I don’t think Diana Ross minded, especially in the early and mid-80s, to be on the oldies [but goodies!] station. She was a reigning pop superstar and this attested to her longevity [20 years of hits!]. I liked her response to him.

I'd like to know what Miss Ross was doing in an occultist bookstore. And when in the 80s?

Well she was the inspiration behind the song “Abracadabra”
    by Steve Miller Band.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    by Steve Miller Band.
    …… haha !!…

for the coincidence to be meaningful , when he called her a has-been at the occult bookstore , she should've treated him like a witch

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I'd like to know what Miss Ross was doing in an occultist bookstore. And when in the 80s?
    The letter writer described it as “the occult bookstore”. The Bodhi Tree was an independent bookstore “specializing in world religions, wisdom traditions, metaphysics,psychology, philosophy and health.” [The Bodhi tree was the tree Siddhartha Gautama sat under and meditated until he attained enlightenment and became a Buddha.] I browsed in the cozy little store in West Hollywood in the 80s and it was interesting, but I didn’t meet either Diana Ross or Shirley MacLaine there.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    by Steve Miller Band.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abra...ler_Band_song)

I didn’t know that!! How great

[QUOTE=TomatoTom123;736115]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abracadabra_[[Steve_Miller_Band_song)

I didn’t know that!! How great [/QUOTE

Playing Abracadabra and Upside Down now

It’s a fun song. I wonder if Diana ever knew?. I hope she would have been amused.
    Gets me wondering what other songs might be out there that Diana proved the inspiration for. “Try It Baby” is i believe at least one other.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    It’s a fun song. I wonder if Diana ever knew?. I hope she would have been amused.
    Gets me wondering what other songs might be out there that Diana proved the inspiration for. “Try It Baby” is i believe at least one other.
    Contemporary R&B singer Ari Lennox explicitly pays tribute to Diana on her recent track "Outside": "Givin' the girls Diana Ross/Walkin' around like I'm the boss...".

lyrically , abra abracadabra I wanna reach out and grab ya

is second only to- oh what a feeling when you're dancing on the ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Contemporary R&B singer Ari Lennox explicitly pays tribute to Diana on her recent track "Outside": "Givin' the girls Diana Ross/Walkin' around like I'm the boss...".
    It underscores the impact Diana has made. Not sure she would want to be referenced quite like this, but still good that she is remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    The letter writer described it as “the occult bookstore”. The Bodhi Tree was an independent bookstore “specializing in world religions, wisdom traditions, metaphysics,psychology, philosophy and health.” [The Bodhi tree was the tree Siddhartha Gautama sat under and meditated until he attained enlightenment and became a Buddha.] I browsed in the cozy little store in West Hollywood in the 80s and it was interesting, but I didn’t meet either Diana Ross or Shirley MacLaine there.
    hmmmm if it were in West Hollywood , maybe it was a typo and it was supposed to be an adult bookstore....

hmmmm if it were in West Hollywood , maybe it was a typo and it was supposed to be an adult bookstore....
    hmmm maybe you’re thinking of Circus Of Books on Santa Monica Blvd.? The Bodhi Tree was definitely new age and on Melrose Ave. I admit I also browsed at Circus and definitely didn’t bump into Diana or Shirley there.

[I miss A Different Light bookstore several blocks west, where Diana did her I Will Survive video and plunged into the WeHo street crowd.]

I stopped reading after seeing the phrase "occult bookstore"...

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abracadabra_[[Steve_Miller_Band_song)

I didn’t know that!! How great
    Right?!?! The story has been around but is worth repeating.

for the coincidence to be meaningful , when he called her a has-been at the occult bookstore , she should've treated him like a witch
    It’s possible, though not terribly likely that Diana did indeed have interest in the the dark arts. I’ve known peeps who swear by a bit of voodoo.

It’s possible, though not terribly likely that Diana did indeed have interest in the the dark arts. I’ve known peeps who swear by a bit of voodoo.
    Seems like a better crescendo to the whole encounter would’ve been after he told Diana at the occult bookstore that he couldn’t escape hearing her on oldies radio, she then waved her magic pendant at him , chanted something, and from that day forward he never heard her on the radio again.

Seems like a better crescendo to the whole encounter would’ve been after he told Diana at the occult bookstore that he couldn’t escape hearing her on oldies radio, she then waved her magic pendant at him , chanted something, and from that day forward he never heard her on the radio again.
    What a terrible curse to lay on someone!