[REMOVE ADS]

"Motown Records Is Not Folding"

hmmm it still doesn't sound all that promising.

They probably went broke bailing Little Wayne out of jail so many times......

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    LOL!!! you got that right!

hehehehehehehe.....!!!

Another point of view has been put to me.......what do you think of this one?

Even though the original labels are not used, it doesn't stop releases from that artist

How do we feel when the Motown logo isn't on a Motown release. Ace, for example, hasn't used the Motown label for the Marv Johnson release?

Lurkers, please free to offer your thoughts!

stopinthenameoflove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Another point of view has been put to me.......what do you think of this one?

Even though the original labels are not used, it doesn't stop releases from that artist

How do we feel when the Motown logo isn't on a Motown release. Ace, for example, hasn't used the Motown label for the Marv Johnson release?

Lurkers, please free to offer your thoughts!
    I dont really think Motown as we all here know it has been active for a long time. I would have preferred Ace to use the Motown logo, but at the end of the day its what in the grooves that counts. And when was that Gordy logo last used?

To be honest, I thought Motown had already folded! Given it's merger with Universal!

I didnt know lil wayne was on there although after the universal sell it's motown in name only IMHO. Although I still like post 1988 motown releases tho.

Quote Originally Posted by stopinthenameoflove View Post
    I dont really think Motown as we all here know it has been active for a long time. I would have preferred Ace to use the Motown logo, but at the end of the day its what in the grooves that counts. And when was that Gordy logo last used?
    I'll be honest, I found it hard to deal with but you're "absolutely postively right" that it's what's in the grooves that counts

Quote Originally Posted by candykamaine View Post
    I didnt know lil wayne was on there although after the universal sell it's motown in name only IMHO. Although I still like post 1988 motown releases tho.
    Post 1988 releases were good too. I feel it's a shame that they weren't as plentiful as they once was.

^^ I agree with you on there. I do wish they were plentiful as they were in the golden days of motown 60's.

What I will NEVER understand is, when Motown closed up Detroit, why wasn't Harry Balk moved to the Hollywood operation to be in control of Creative there? It was Harry Balk who masterminded most of what took place in Detroit during what could arguably be Motown's finest moments. This fact alone has always soured me on west coast Motown and I never really trusted those in charge at the time. In my mind, they blew it big time.

What I will NEVER understand is, when Motown closed up Detroit, why wasn't Harry Balk moved to the Hollywood operation to be in control of Creative there? It was Harry Balk who masterminded most of what took place in Detroit during what could arguably be Motown's finest moments. This fact alone has always soured me on west coast Motown and I never really trusted those in charge at the time. In my mind, they blew it big time.
    Ralph, is Harry still with us?

IMHO the Motown imprint should not be used other than for the likes of Stevie Wonder who I think is the only original artist left.

It's funny that Berry Gordys son and nephew currently have one of the top 10 songs in America at the moment but are signed to a different Universal label than Motown. You would think they would've placed them on the motown roster just to link the history. As for Ms. Badu, she has gotten more obtuse in her writing style over the years so she is far from what I would consider the classic Motown sound these days, which to me is about telling straight ahead stories in the lyrics and instrumentation. Who else is left on the roster besides those mentioned in the prior postings? It's dwindled to a boutique label rather than had someone aggressively out there trying to find the artists and songs to move Motown into the 21st century. Hopefully whoever replaces Sylvia Rhone will be a risk taker and not just a caretaker.......

Marv,
    Yes he is. We usually speak once a week or so. his health hasn't been all that great the last couple of years, but he's hanging in there. In fact he may be going to Detroit to spend a little time there. I took this as a good sign for his well being. I wish all of you could know this guy the way I have been privileged to do.

Marv,
    Yes he is. We usually speak once a week or so. his health hasn't been all that great the last couple of years, but he's hanging in there. In fact he may be going to Detroit to spend a little time there. I took this as a good sign for his well being. I wish all of you could know this guy the way I have been privileged to do.
    It would be great to meet and get the opportunity to sit and talk with him. Not an interview, just a casual talk. Glad that he is still here.

When Lil Wayne came to Calgary, staying in the best and biggest hotel, he refused to leave his bus for 5 hours..........having it sit blocking the lobby. The staff thought he was a total prick.

Diana Ross stayed at the same hotel and they didn't even know she was there ~ no antics, demands or whining.

What age won't do.

Motown is gone to me; I don't think they should be using the name either but it's synonomous with soul music so it is valuable and they want that.

I heard an interview today with a book publisher and he said there are STILL music executives out there that believe the CD will return and everything will be saved ~ he said they are a big part of the problem.

jobete
    you're right, motown in name only.there's only one motown,the detroit sound,hitsville,the sound of young america.[[ok there was good stuff post detroit)
    motowns on hipo,on ace/kent,reel.
    do you think they [[universal) made a mistake in not releasing their stuff instead of selling their "birthright" to these other companies?
    how much does motown/universal get for licensing their back catalogue out?

Motown hasn't been anything but a division of a conglomerate for a couple of decades. It's a label in name only. Why do people act like it's still an independent label?

Stabbing in the dark, I bet Universal only licenses out what they can't market profitably and I'll bet they don't get a lot out of it.

I don't think they get a lot out of any of the old Motown label and artists anymore. I think it makes them a "small profit" and they need the "Lil Wayne's" in order to be able to roll out the Hip O product.

Andy might come on here and set us straight on this.

soulster
    i think that most motown fans like to know there is still a motown.its an icon.its big in our minds,hence we are discussing it on here everyday over 50 years since berry invented it.even if it isnt really motown in any shape or form.the only thing the "vinyl" motown and todays motown have in common is they are both in the music game.

Motown folded in 2000 as a label following Universal merging it. It really don't exist anymore.

I now see Motown as a brand.

One that is good to have if you want to promote a respectable, wholesome and good feeling kind of image for your product.

I like that boy. Why doesnt Universal make Motown what Hipo is-relase the great stuff from classic Motown?

Mainly because there is value in the name and they are using it to release some of the big names that keep the label afloat; and there aren't that many of those these days.

If they were using Hip O to keep them afloat financially, they would be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I like that boy. Why doesnt Universal make Motown what Hipo is-relase the great stuff from classic Motown?
    Why is the sea blue?

Some questions dont seem to have answers! And they fox the hell out of us!

easy boyfrom....... its a reflection of the sky.unless you're at weston super mud and its brown. a reflection on the sewerage company!

Tamla617

I am sure that is a guarantee to encourage lurkers from Weston Super Mare to come out of hiding!

Well, I can't speak for Weston-super-Mare, but there is a great variety of interesting objects riding the waves, as well as on the golden sands, here in Bournemouth....

It must be THAT hot sun that's brought you here.

Would this be for the "Over 55's annual outing party to the seaside"?

Ramone Verona Guest
    Is this a nudists retreat you both are speaking of?

It's true that there's a nudist beach at nearby Studland, but some of the throng have no intention at all of retreating.....

Ramone Verona Guest
    LOL!!
    "over 55"?? EEEEEWWUUUUUU!!!!

Nope. Bournemouth is a reknown place in Southern England as a seaside resort for those who prefer a slightly slower pace of life. It's generally accepted as having a warmer climate than most parts of the UK.

Especially if they are over 55.

Everythng needs ironing to get rid of the creases!

LOL

Ramone Verona Guest
    We have some of those places in the States.
    Large seals sun themselves on the docks.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Roger-You have to agree that this young man has a "way" with words!

I think I might shoot myself after that comment!

T'aint nothing 'slightly slower' about the pace of life in Bournemouth!!!

The young and beautiful come here in droves, and are especially evident after the sun has gone down.

I wouldn't know first hand about all that, of course, as there's a curfew for anyone over 55 years old..so here I sit, watching what happens on SDF.....and ironing my creases.....

Ramone Verona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Especially if they are over 55.

Everything needs ironing to get rid of the creases!

LOL
    You see?
    This is why these posts ARE NOT off topic.
    "Folding" goes hand-in-hand with ironing.
    Maybe all Motown needs today is a little pressing and spritzing?

Ramone Verona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    T'aint nothing 'slightly slower' about the pace of life in Bournemouth!!!

The young and beautiful come here in droves, and are especially evident after the sun has gone down.

I wouldn't know first hand about all that, of course, as there's a curfew for anyone over 55 years old..so here I sit, watching what happens on SDF.....and ironing my creases.....
    I didn't mean to knock those "over 55".
    It's just that my Grandmother, bless her heart, always used a fresh spring chicken to fry.
    Young, tender, taught skin, with an ass that wouldn't quit......
    Uh, that's someone else. It's not my Grandmother's chicken.
    <blush>

Ramone. If you are scolding me for talking off topic then I agree. I am sorry.

Ramone Verona Guest
    "Scalding", yes!
    Scolding, never.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Motown folded in 2000 as a label following Universal merging it. It really don't exist anymore.
    Exactly my point.

i wasn't disagreeing.you asked/wondered why people were that bothered about motown [[folding).i answered.its not hard.

I didn't wonder why people here were bothered by Motown, only why some people act like it's still an independent company.

I am almost 50 years old. I am fully aware of the company's legacy. I grew up on Motown music. But Motown hasn't been Motown since the mid-80s at the very latest.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I didn't wonder why people here were bothered by Motown, only why some people act like it's still an independent company.

I am almost 50 years old. I am fully aware of the company's legacy. I grew up on Motown music. But Motown hasn't been Motown since the mid-80s at the very latest.
    Soulster, I couldn't agree more.
    Hi guys, I'm still out there, alive and kicking at 62!
    I never had the intention of str8ening any of my creases, cause I've earned each & evry 1 of them. Say, I even learned how to use an occasional bit of street language, which makes it a lot easier to keep communicating with the youngsters of today.

Motown has become a name, a legend, like Smokey, Stevie, Diana, Marvin are. Some of them are still around to spread the gospel, many aren't with us or around anymore... a few haven't even been able to appear in public for many years [[Wanda).
    The times they are a-changing... no, have been changing... and life goes on.