[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Yes exactly. The notes included in the book for the 50th Anniversary Singles release says that Mary and Flo recorded their vocals for In and Out of Love and It's Going All the Way on June 12 [lead vocal was recorded the same day]. It says that The Andantes were overdubbed on Mary and Flo's background track, the next day, on June 13.

This would mean that there is no separate background track with only Mary and Flo's vocals for those two songs. It's just the one track that exists, with The Andantes added over top of Mary and Flo.
    It might be nice if there was a version of IN AND OUT OF LOVE similar to the version of STAY IN MY LONELY ARMS where you hear the Andantes throughout the track but right before the fade, all of the sudden the additional background vocals cut out and you only hear Mary and Cindy.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It might be nice if there was a version of IN AND OUT OF LOVE similar to the version of STAY IN MY LONELY ARMS where you hear the Andantes throughout the track but right before the fade, all of the sudden the additional background vocals cut out and you only hear Mary and Cindy.
    was the first time we got Stay In My Lonely Arms on the Reflections cd in the 90s? when they added this and All I Know? it's possible that in preparing the song for that release, Harry, George and whomever else was working on it, heard that extended fade and released what it was! it's wonderful that we have these guys that care as much about the group as we do working on these. similar to the story of George getting himself in trouble with the release Greatest Hits And Rare Classics. according to his posts here, the original idea was to include a lot of alt versions, unreleased songs, etc. but then the decree came down that it would just be a straight-forward 70s greatest hits. nothing else. and i think he said he had 24 hours to make all of the changes or else the release would be cut. he snuck on some things like the alt version of Everybody and then he did the different track lists on the cd vs the cassette. he's laughed that he got in major trouble with that lolol but thank god he did

i love when they keep things like this for us to hear, or studio chatter, or extended fades or the versions where they bring out much more of the instrumental track

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    was the first time we got Stay In My Lonely Arms on the Reflections cd in the 90s? when they added this and All I Know?
    No. STAY IN MY LONELY ARMS was first released in 1986 on the compilation NEVER BEFORE RELEASED MASTERS FROM MOTOWN'S BRIGHTEST STARS THE 60s. To my knowledge, this collection was only released on vinyl although some [if not, all] of the songs have since made it to cd.

The version on that album has an extra verse but fades out earlier than the version released on the REFLECTIONS cd. That's why it was such a surprise to me when I purchased the latter.
    Last edited by reese; 11-12-2022 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    No. STAY IN MY LONELY ARMS was first released in 1986 on the compilation NEVER BEFORE RELEASED MASTERS FROM MOTOWN'S BRIGHTEST STARS THE 60s. To my knowledge, this collection was only released on vinyl although some [if not, all] of the songs have since made it to cd.

The version on that album has an extra verse but fades out earlier than the version released on the REFLECTIONS cd. That's why it was such a surprise to me when I purchased the latter.
    interesting! i don't have that lp. has the version of Stay from the lp been re-released on cd or digital? if not, that would be a nice addition to the Reflections album. Stay was originally recorded in Oct 67 and completed in Nov. so it's perfectly in the timeline for the Reflections album

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    interesting! i don't have that lp. has the version of Stay from the lp been re-released on cd or digital? if not, that would be a nice addition to the Reflections album. Stay was originally recorded in Oct 67 and completed in Nov. so it's perfectly in the timeline for the Reflections album
    I think someone posted that the version with the extra verse might have been released on cd, possibly on one of those Tower Records Motown samplers but don't quote me on that.

STAY... is one of my favorite Supremes recordings but it does seem to go on and on with no bridge and no melody changes until the modulation near the end. I can see why they cut a verse if only to break the monotony. As much as I like the Elgins' original, theirs is similar except there's no modulation.
    Last edited by reese; 11-12-2022 at 12:49 PM.