Was listening to this today, first time in quite a few years. Now that I'm a few years older, I'm really struck with just how amazing this song truly is. I always liked it, but now more than ever, I appreciate that Motown put this out. It kind of resides in its own space- not a ballad, but not a dance tune [[well, maybe it was good for slow dancing.)

One thing that struck me was the backing vocals. I always thought it was really an unexpected step to replace the Vandellas, not just with the Andantes, but with a full male vocal group as well. I'm sure it was nothing more than the producer just wanting a different sound for the record, but honestly, you'd swear this was a Martha Reeves solo record.

I remember thinking it was the Four Tops backing Martha but I really had nothing more than my ears. Then, years later I read some books saying that very thing. But now I'm wondering if they too just surmised that for the same reason I did: the blend of male vocals with the Andantes sounds very much like Four Tops backing vocals. So is it REALLY the Tops and Andantes here or is it The Spinners and Andantes? At any rate, I think the choice to used male and female vocals really works to great effect for this particular record.