I collect old radio jingles and like to do videos featuring them. I like to do a bit of research into the radio station featured for a video and that has taken me to discovering old radio surveys. It's mind-blowing, to say the least, the amount of music that has been pumped out over the airwaves over the years. It's also eye-opening to see that the music charts and radio playlists were a LOT broader and all-inclusive than I think people realize. Nostalgia is a funny thing. We have TONS of those silly "GREATEST HITS OF THE SIXTIES" packages that recycle a lot of the same 23 and a half hits over and over. However, if you were to check some of these radio surveys, you'll find a lot of soul, local bands, easy-listening and even country records that will never make it on these collections.

Tonight, I was checking out radio station WFIL out of Philadelphia USA. The survey is from 1967 I believe, and I was pleasantly surprised to find the Temptations' "You're My Everything" was at number one for the week featured. It was above "Ode To Billie Joe," "Reflections," and even the Beatles' "Love Is All You Need." Granted, of course, this may have been as some of those songs were going up or back down the charts, but still, it was very nice to see that! Other surprises, Al Kent, "Gotta Pay The Price" was on the list, Martha & The Vandellas' "Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone." There was a lot more soul music there than I expected as well.

The biggest surprise was this cover of the Miracles' "What's So Good About Good-Bye" by a band called The Giant Sunflower. They sound like a knock-off of The Mamas and Papas and their cover is not bad at all. Really interesting to see how much Motown was really being noticed by everyone, even in the Rock arena. Not much info at all on the band except that they were out of LA and were active only from 1966 to 1968. Seems they only had two singles, including this one. Makes me wonder how did an LA rock/folk band decide to do an old Smokey Robinson number- shows somebody had good taste.

https://youtu.be/cHWhojk8-Z4

http://<iframe width="640" height="3...lt;/iframe>