[REMOVE ADS]

10/26/62 - Yesterday was a historic day in Motown History - 60 years ago

Of possible interest. Yesterday 10/26 was the 60th anniversary of the ground breaking Motown Revues.

Here is what took place on opening night Friday, October 26, 1962 at the Howard Theatre in Washington, DC.

A STAGE FULL OF STARS

Miracles - Mary Wells - Marvelettes - Marv Johnson - Contours - Supremes - Vandellas - Marvin Gaye - Bill Murry - Singin Sammy Ward - Choker Campbell and his big band. The performers performed for sold-out crowds every night that they performed there.

It would be fabulous if only there was a video or some documentation of the very first performance.

Memories, those were the days.

that would be correct, I'm now 71 & I was 11 when I called Sir Johns Hotel in Miami in late November & asked for Mary Wells room & they put me through!I knew her voice when she answered the phone & I excitingly started tellin her how much I loved her & she was my fave singer & I had all her records including her new 45 "Two Lovers". she told me she'd love to meet me so my Mom drove me & my younger brother down there & we got to meet just about all our fave singers.Martha Reeves was Marys room mate & she was stunned that we knew who she was . Wow, what a great memory. It was surprising that they put me through to her room.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    that would be correct, I'm now 71 & I was 11 when I called Sir Johns Hotel in Miami in late November & asked for Mary Wells room & they put me through!I knew her voice when she answered the phone & I excitingly started tellin her how much I loved her & she was my fave singer & I had all her records including her new 45 "Two Lovers". she told me she'd love to meet me so my Mom drove me & my younger brother down there & we got to meet just about all our fave singers.Martha Reeves was Marys room mate & she was stunned that we knew who she was . Wow, what a great memory. It was surprising that they put me through to her room.
    Wow. That is such a cool story!

Great memory Tony, thanks for sharing!
    Darin

I can't top that one but I can vouch for the fact that meeting Martha any time any place is a real treat. In minutes you will feel like you are talking to an old friend and not a celebrity.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I can't top that one but I can vouch for the fact that meeting Martha any time any place is a real treat. In minutes you will feel like you are talking to an old friend and not a celebrity.
    That is so true about Martha...she remembered meeting me in '62 about 12 years later when I was out in Calif. with Mary Wells.We been friends since then.

Great Motown memories! You can't beat 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Fantastic ! Those were the days. Thanks for sharing