[REMOVE ADS]

The Commodores "Alabama '69" pre-Motown recordings [12/23/2022-Goldenlane]

Info from Goldenlane Music-
    Bear witness to the birth of a funk soul legend with these early recordings by the great Commodores made prior to their 1974 Motown debut album!

Recorded shortly after the group's formation when they were still attending Tuskegee University in Alabama, this set was produced by the great Jerry Williams Jr. a/k/a Swamp Dogg!

These studio recordings lean heavily on the band's astounding musical chops including one supremely talented saxophonist by the name of Lionel Richie who would eventually take over lead vocal duties and take the top of the charts multiple times in the years to come!

Tracklist
    1. Rise Up
    2. Cowboys To Girls
    3. I Know I'm Losing You
    4. Who's Making Love
    5. Sing A Simple Song
    6. Baby This Is Forever
    7. Love Canoe
    8. Come By Here
    9. Keep On Dancing

Amazon USA-
    Commodores - Alabama '69 - Amazon.com Music

I've had "Rise Up," " Cowboys to Girls," and "Who's Making Love" for over 10 years now on a budget compilation gifted to me, but was always skeptical over whether or not it was really The Commodores on these tracks. This is nice proof. Thanks for sharing.

I've had these on mp3 with the Album called Rise Up with the date 1976

edafan

All of these tracks are on YouTube.

Just had a listen to all tracks on You Tube. Rise Up is a cover of Shorty Long's - Night Fo' Last instrumental version [[Funk Bothers) and most of rest I recognise as covers of well known Motown / Soul recordings, just a couple sound vaguely familiar but cannot bring them to mind. Cannot find anywhere listing credits to check.

According to discogs the two Scott brothers are co-writers of "Keep on Dancing" which was released in 1968.

Freely available on Spotify ..... different album titles Soul Legends and Soul Grooves but same tracks. Recorded February 4th 1969, produced by Swamp Dogg who claims he persuaded Lionrl to give up the saxophone and take up vocals.
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 10-26-2022 at 10:16 AM.