[REMOVE ADS]

Jean Terrell's Debut Album

We've dissected both Mary and Diana's debut solo albums- quite a few times- but I can't remember us giving Jean's debut much discussion beyond the gossip and speculation surrounding her time at A&M.

Now let me be transparent. When it comes to Jean Terrell, she could sing me the alphabet, the phone book, and the Sears Christmas Catalog and I would likely be enthralled. When it comes to the Supremes' voices, my three favorites are Florence, Diana and Jean. There are times when I'm critical of Flo and Diana's vocals depending on the song, although this doesn't affect my overall opinion of their voices. I can't say there's a song Jean has cut, as a Supreme or solo, where I took issue with her voice. I might have to give it some thought, but off the top of my head I can't say that there is. [[Of course, that's not to say that I like every song Jean has ever cut.)

So with that being said- surprise, surprise- I really like Jean's solo debut album I Had To Fall In Love. Between Flo, Diana, Mary and Jean, I do think Diana's first album was the strongest, but Jean's is second IMO. Most of the songs were exactly what I think Jean should have been doing at the time. I don't know if any one song sounds like a surefire hit to me, but as a collection of songs, it's an album I can play from beginning to end. Jean is of course in fine voice. The production values are good and of their time. I wouldn't call any of the songs extraordinary, but it's good late 70s r&b.

While I do love the title cut, I'm not sure it was the best choice of lead single. Still, "I Had To Fall In Love" is one of my all time favorite Jean vocals. "Rising Cost of Love", also covered very nicely by Millie Jackson, is a standout for me. "No Limit" is another favorite. I play it often. "No One Like My Baby" feels kind of like something Jean would have done with the Supremes. "You've Been So Good For Me" is another favorite. I also love "That's the Way Our Love Grows". To me it's probably the only song on the album that might have had a chance at being a hit single.

I play the album often. It sucks that this was the end for Jean as a solo recording artist. I don't know how much success she would have had, but I think she would have been a perfect fit for Arista after A&M, sound wise. It would have been cool to see what she could have recorded under Clive's direction. Jean deserved a long, successful solo career. She'll go down as one of my all time favorite voices.

So what thoughts do you have about her album? Likes? Dislikes? Would you have taken her in a different direction or would this fit what you would expect from Jean? Do you recall this release when it was new? Ever see Jean live during that time? I look forward to the responses.

I owned the album at one time, but I don’t think it’s in my collection anymore. I only played it a couple times. I do remember the song “Rising Cost of Love” as one of my favorites, but I don’t recall too much about the album other than that, except it kind of left me with a “ho-hum“ reaction. I know I was disappointed in it when I first heard it. I’d love to hear it again, because as with many of us, my tastes have mellowed as I’ve gotten older and now I listen to lots of things which don’t necessarily intend to get you out on the Dancefloor. This album definitely deserves another listen.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I owned the album at one time, but I don’t think it’s in my collection anymore. I only played it a couple times. I do remember the song “Rising Cost of Love” as one of my favorites, but I don’t recall too much about the album other than that, except it kind of left me with a “ho-hum“ reaction. I know I was disappointed in it when I first heard it. I’d love to hear it again, because as with many of us, my tastes have mellowed as I’ve gotten older and now I listen to lots of things which don’t necessarily intend to get you out on the Dancefloor. This album definitely deserves another listen.
    Your feelings are similar to mine. I bought a used copy of the album and later, the cd. It must not have impressed me all that much because the only thought I can recall is that I felt RISING COST OF LOVE was done better by Millie Jackson.

Note: I did like the title track on first listen, when it was included on the Supremes' GREATEST HITS AND RARE CLASSICS cd.

A selection of reviews, courtesy of the archives at WorldRadioHistory.com:

Record World / March 11, 1978
    I HAD TO FALL IN LOVE
    JEAN TERRELL - A&M SP 4676 $7.98

While this is only her first album, Jean Terrell's name should already be familiar to most as the replacement for Diana Ross in the Supremes. With producer Bobby Martin whose last project for the label was the immensely successful LTD, they combine impressively for a solid set.

Record World / March 18, 1978
    Disco File
    By VINCE ALETTI

Jean Terrell's album, "I Had to Fall in Love" on A&M, is another personal favorite right now, bringing back one of the richest female vocals around--surely the best lead singer the Supremes have had since the departure of Diana Ross--in a near-perfect showcase production by Bobby Martin. The style here is sophisticated soul, closer to the sort of tasteful yet emotionally touching material Terrell did with the Supremes under Frank Wilson's direction than to the Philadelphia get-down stuff Martin was famous for. Terrell sounds as good if not better than ever, her creamy, aching vocals transforming every song and, for our purposes, especially fine on "That's the Way Love Grows," the only consistently upbeat song here and a real beauty. Neither album* is heavy-duty disco but both are essential for anyone concerned with keeping upon the best new music in any area.

*Aletti also reviewed Dexter Wansel's VOYAGER album in the same paragraph.

Cashbox / March 25, 1978
    I HAD TO FALL IN LOVE — Jean Terrell — A&M SP-4676 —
    Producer: Bobby Martin — List: 7.98

Former 5th Dimension member Jean Terrell has recorded a strong debut album for A&M. She is a master at putting feeling and expression into flowing ballads, such as the title cut. The other selections roll along pleasantly, although none of the songs particularly stand out as immediate smashes. But the album on the whole is smooth and well-produced and is very easy to listen to. For R&B playlists.

HiFi Stereo Review / July 1978
    JEAN TERRELL: I Had to Fall in Love.
    Jean Terrell {vocals}; instrumental accompaniment.
    No One Like My Baby; Change Up; No Limit: Rising Cost of Love: and five others.
    A&M SP-4676 $7.98

Performance: Veiled
    Recording: Disco-cardio

Bobby Martin's production and arrangements for former Supreme Jean Terrell's first solo album unfortunately keep her talent fairly well veiled, in the background, and at the service of the usual disco throb--in this case sounding uncomfortably like an amplified heartbeat. Terrell is able to shake free of it only once, in the title song, in which she's impressive both vocally and dramatically. Her voice hasn't much depth or color, but it does have a strong musicality and a uniquely plaintive, expressive tremolo that provides the rather ordinary lyrics with enormous dramatic punch. After that, however, it's right back to a Sargasso sea of musical cliches. Too bad; she deserves better. P.R. {Peter Reilly}
    Last edited by smallworld; 10-21-2022 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post

I HAD TO FALL IN LOVE

While this is only her first album, Jean Terrell's name should already be familiar to most as the replacement for Diana Ross in the Supremes. With producer Bobby Martin whose last project for the label was the immensely successful LTD, they combine impressively for a solid set.

Disco File
    By VINCE ALETTI

Jean Terrell's album, "I Had to Fall in Love" on A&M, is another personal favorite right now, bringing back one of the richest female vocals around--surely the best lead singer the Supremes have had since the departure of Diana Ross--in a near-perfect showcase production by Bobby Martin. The style here is sophisticated soul, closer to the sort of tasteful yet emotionally touching material Terrell did with the Supremes under Frank Wilson's direction than to the Philadelphia get-down stuff Martin was famous for. Terrell sounds as good if not better than ever, her creamy, aching vocals transforming every song and, for our purposes, especially fine on "That's the Way Love Grows," the only consistently upbeat song here and a real beauty. Neither album* is heavy-duty disco but both are essential for anyone concerned with keeping upon the best new music in any area.

Cashbox / March 25, 1978

Former 5th Dimension member Jean Terrell has recorded a strong debut album for A&M. She is a master at putting feeling and expression into flowing ballads, such as the title cut. The other selections roll along pleasantly, although none of the songs particularly stand out as immediate smashes. But the album on the whole is smooth and well-produced and is very easy to listen to. For R&B playlists.

A&M SP-4676 $7.98

Bobby Martin's production and arrangements for former Supreme Jean Terrell's first solo album unfortunately keep her talent fairly well veiled, in the background, and at the service of the usual disco throb--in this case sounding uncomfortably like an amplified heartbeat. Terrell is able to shake free of it only once, in the title song, in which she's impressive both vocally and dramatically. Her voice hasn't much depth or color, but it does have a strong musicality and a uniquely plaintive, expressive tremolo that provides the rather ordinary lyrics with enormous dramatic punch. After that, however, it's right back to a Sargasso sea of musical cliches. Too bad; she deserves better. P.R. {Peter Reilly}

Former 5th Dimension member Jean Terrell. Huh?

I bought the LP when it came out and was generally disappointed. I did like
    The Rising Cost of Love. I played it a couple of times. I did buy the CD years
    later after the record collection was gone. I'm a big Terrell fan, but this recording
    left me wanting better. It's OK. It could have been so much more. I'll give it another
    listen and see if my opinion changes.

Thanks Kenneth. When you get a chance take a listen to the album and please come back with your thoughts. I would love to know if your feelings have changed about it or not.

Here's the link to a playlist someone made of Jean's album on Youtube for anyone who needs a refresher or who hasn't heard it before.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...j4jnauTjSy8rh_

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Your feelings are similar to mine. I bought a used copy of the album and later, the cd. It must not have impressed me all that much because the only thought I can recall is that I felt RISING COST OF LOVE was done better by Millie Jackson.

Note: I did like the title track on first listen, when it was included on the Supremes' GREATEST HITS AND RARE CLASSICS cd.
    I love both versions of "Rising Cost", but I give the edge to Jean. I do love Millie's intro more though.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post

I HAD TO FALL IN LOVE

Disco File
    By VINCE ALETTI

Cashbox / March 25, 1978

A&M SP-4676 $7.98

Thanks for this Smallworld!! Great to see the reviews of the time. Mostly complimentary except the last one. And the mis identity of the 5D instead of the Supremes is unforgivable. I wonder what Jean thought if she read it. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Former 5th Dimension member Jean Terrell. Huh?

I bought the LP when it came out and was generally disappointed. I did like
    The Rising Cost of Love. I played it a couple of times. I did buy the CD years
    later after the record collection was gone. I'm a big Terrell fan, but this recording
    left me wanting better. It's OK. It could have been so much more. I'll give it another
    listen and see if my opinion changes.
    Please do Lakeside!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Please do Lakeside!
    Will do, Ran.

It was a thrill for me to hear Jean's IHTFIL on the 70's Supremes GH & Rare Classics CD; still to this day one of my favorite Supremes releases. At the time [[pre-internet), I wasn't aware that Jean had released a solo album.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    It was a thrill for me to hear Jean's IHTFIL on the 70's Supremes GH & Rare Classics CD; still to this day one of my favorite Supremes releases. At the time [[pre-internet), I wasn't aware that Jean had released a solo album.
    I bought the GH & Rare Classics comp less than a year into my Supremes fandom. I was just getting to know Jean, as most of what I owned was the original trio and some DRATS. Except for "Over and Over", which I had on one of those Supremes budget comps, I believe the GH&RC was my introduction to Jean. I fell in love with "I Had To Fall In Love". I think it was many years before I found a copy of Jean's album.

Interesting note about the budget release. So it was called YOU KEEP ME HANGING ON. Flo, Diana and Mary were on the cover, wearing the gold and white gowns from one of those early 1967 photo shoots. And the release was credited to Diana Ross and the Supremes. Every song on the comp was a Diana era song [[including "A Breathtaking Guy", which was my introduction to what might be my favorite Supremes song). For some reason "Over and Over" is on this release. Not having ever heard Jean sing, and taking my cue from everything else about the release, I assumed that Diana was singing the song. It wasn't until I got a copy of Floy Joy [[and now that I think about it, I think I bought Floy Joy, GH&RC and the Best of Supremes and Four Tops at the same time) that I realized it was a Jean era song and it was Jean singing and not Diana. It's so weird to me to think there was a time when I took one singer for the other. Being a big fan of both, they really sound nothing alike, but I guess I heard "Over and Over" on a Diana Ross and the Supremes release and easily concluded that it had to be Diana.

In the mid to late 80s there was a collection sold on TV called Diana Ross the Supreme Lady. A two CD collection of her hits Supremes and solo. The collection included 3 70s Supremes songs as well led by Jean. I wonder how many people who bought the album thought that it was Diana singing Up the Ladder, Stoned Love and River Deep?

I bought the GH & Rare Classics comp less than a year into my Supremes fandom. I was just getting to know Jean, as most of what I owned was the original trio and some DRATS. Except for "Over and Over", which I had on one of those Supremes budget comps, I believe the GH&RC was my introduction to Jean. I fell in love with "I Had To Fall In Love". I think it was many years before I found a copy of Jean's album.

Interesting note about the budget release. So it was called YOU KEEP ME HANGING ON. Flo, Diana and Mary were on the cover, wearing the gold and white gowns from one of those early 1967 photo shoots. And the release was credited to Diana Ross and the Supremes. Every song on the comp was a Diana era song [[including "A Breathtaking Guy", which was my introduction to what might be my favorite Supremes song). For some reason "Over and Over" is on this release. Not having ever heard Jean sing, and taking my cue from everything else about the release, I assumed that Diana was singing the song. It wasn't until I got a copy of Floy Joy [[and now that I think about it, I think I bought Floy Joy, GH&RC and the Best of Supremes and Four Tops at the same time) that I realized it was a Jean era song and it was Jean singing and not Diana. It's so weird to me to think there was a time when I took one singer for the other. Being a big fan of both, they really sound nothing alike, but I guess I heard "Over and Over" on a Diana Ross and the Supremes release and easily concluded that it had to be Diana.
    A compilation that includes both Breathtaking Guy and Over and Over. Hmm...were there other Smokey Robinson songs on that collection like The Composer? I wonder if he had a hand or say on what was to be on the collection? Nice way to beef up his royalty checks for his songwriting.

I love the lp and it certainly got favorable reviews, moreso than Mary Wilson and Partners.

I think the problem with the lp is that it just wasn't commercial for 1978. Disco was raging and Saturday Night Fever had exploded. Only one track, the immaculate That's The Way Love Grows had this kind of sound and Jean rocked it. But for some reason, A&M issued Don't Stop Reaching For The Top as the first single. While it did get airplay on the R&B stations, it wasn't pop.

The second problem was Jean herself. Here she had a beautiful set of songs and never sounded better and she withdrew from promoting it. She gave me a 2 hr phone interview when the lp was issued and she was very forthcoming about her decision to leave Motown, but her heart was with her family [[she had two babies) and her Jehovah Witness beliefs, both of which interfered with her touring. She was supposed to tour with the red-hot LTD band [[Back In Love Again) as their opening act which would have introduced her to another type of audience. At the last minute she withdrew and A&M issued their contract singles and washed their hands of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    A compilation that includes both Breathtaking Guy and Over and Over. Hmm...were there other Smokey Robinson songs on that collection like The Composer? I wonder if he had a hand or say on what was to be on the collection? Nice way to beef up his royalty checks for his songwriting.
    Lol Actually the only other Smokey song I remember on the comp is "You Bring Back Memories". I still have it, somewhere. I might try to find the tracklist online.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I love the lp and it certainly got favorable reviews, moreso than Mary Wilson and Partners.

I think the problem with the lp is that it just wasn't commercial for 1978. Disco was raging and Saturday Night Fever had exploded. Only one track, the immaculate That's The Way Love Grows had this kind of sound and Jean rocked it. But for some reason, A&M issued Don't Stop Reaching For The Top as the first single. While it did get airplay on the R&B stations, it wasn't pop.

The second problem was Jean herself. Here she had a beautiful set of songs and never sounded better and she withdrew from promoting it. She gave me a 2 hr phone interview when the lp was issued and she was very forthcoming about her decision to leave Motown, but her heart was with her family [[she had two babies) and her Jehovah Witness beliefs, both of which interfered with her touring. She was supposed to tour with the red-hot LTD band [[Back In Love Again) as their opening act which would have introduced her to another type of audience. At the last minute she withdrew and A&M issued their contract singles and washed their hands of her.
    Thanks Rick. I didn't realize Jean had two kids at that point, or that she was a mother at that point. I can definitely understand why the A&M time ended up not working out. So many entertainers leave their children behind to go out and make the money on the road. I can certainly understand that. But I also can understand entertainment business parents deciding that life could interfere with the family. It's hard to raise kids from the road. And to miss out on the everyday things with small children, it's hard to get past that, missing out on all that cuteness, innocence, because once they become teenagers you want to snap their necks.

I really liked this album and thought Jean was sounding way better than the last LP she released with the Supremes [[Jimmy Webb). I thought the single releases were odd choices as there were much better choices on the LP. Still, Jean had to realize that it wouldn't go anywhere without her promoting it and being on tour. If her faith and family were the most important thing to her, than commercial success for her venture was obviously negligible and she knew it was just artistic expression and that commercially A&M would release someone who wouldn't promote it. Still, it was a good album. I still always wonder why she joined the FLOs, touring 8 years later and singing songs she really didn't like to sing a decade earlier. Jean's mindset is not one I understand very readily.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I really liked this album and thought Jean was sounding way better than the last LP she released with the Supremes [[Jimmy Webb). I thought the single releases were odd choices as there were much better choices on the LP. Still, Jean had to realize that it wouldn't go anywhere without her promoting it and being on tour. If her faith and family were the most important thing to her, than commercial success for her venture was obviously negligible and she knew it was just artistic expression and that commercially A&M would release someone who wouldn't promote it. Still, it was a good album. I still always wonder why she joined the FLOs, touring 8 years later and singing songs she really didn't like to sing a decade earlier. Jean's mindset is not one I understand very readily.
    Jean is a unique lady, you never know what her mood will be. She joined the FLOs probably for the money. She wanted to sing again and there were no other options aside from her here-and-there solo performances. Again, she left that group with little notice or reasoning. Today she says she is retired, refuses to participate in any show business activity and only sings in church. She is a grandmother.

A post above reminds me of how annoying it always was, and still is, when a DJ plays Stoned Love or Nathan Jones and then says it was by Diana Ross and the Supremes.

I have the LP and the CD simply because I support the ladies but it was not one of my favorite from any Supreme. Of course I am always left wing and I thought if anything released it should have been "Don't Stop Reaching for the Top". However, I said why don't they just shorten it to "Don't Stop" and go for it. This was Jean as Jean vs. Jean as a Supreme to me. No one listen to me.

This one was probably Jean's best chance at a hit.

I'd like to see the album get an expanded treatment. The original album, any outtakes, alternate versions, mixes, any live recordings, and maybe the songs she cut back in the mid 70s.

Here's the link to a playlist someone made of Jean's album on Youtube for anyone who needs a refresher or who hasn't heard it before.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...j4jnauTjSy8rh_
    Thank you! I will definitely give it a listen when I’m at my desk and let you know my thoughts. I’m anxious to hear it again. Of course she was always in great voice, there’s no doubt about that. But she seem to be her own greatest obstacle in pursuing her career, I guess due to her family life as well as her religious beliefs.

You mentioned above that you assumed it was Jean singing on the track which you like so much on the compilation you purchased. It’s always been surprising to me when they mention in articles or reviews that Jean sounded a lot like Diana Ross. I never thought she sounded like Diana at all. To me Jean’s voice is far more churchy sounding and much more rooted in the Motown sound then even Diane’s. To me Diane is much more of a stylist than she is a soul singer, although she can wail with the best of them when she wants to.

There are also people who mention how much Syreeta sounds like Diane. That I can hear a little more similarities in the two voices, but I really don’t hear much similarities between Jean and Diane. But like you, until I became a hard-core fan, I really didn’t keep track of who the singers were on lead until much later.
    Last edited by kenneth; 10-24-2022 at 01:31 PM.

Thank you! I will definitely give it a listen when I’m at my desk and let you know my thoughts. I’m anxious to hear it again. Of course she was always in great voice, there’s no doubt about that. But she seem to be her own greatest obstacle in pursuing her career, I guess due to her family life as well as her religious beliefs.

You mentioned above that you assumed it was Jean singing on the track which you like so much on the compilation you purchased. It’s always been surprising to me when they mention in articles or reviews that Jean sounded a lot like Diana Ross. I never thought she sounded like Diana at all. To me Jean’s voice is far more churchy sounding and much more rooted in the Motown sound then even Diane’s. To me Diane is much more of a stylist than she is a soul singer, although she can wail with the best of them when she wants to.

There are also people who mention how much Syreeta sounds like Diane. That I can hear a little more similarities in the two voices, but I really don’t hear much similarities between Jean and Diane. But like you, until I became a hard-core fan, I really didn’t keep track of who the singers were on lead until much later.
    For me, I think it was just the fact that I assumed all the leads on a DRATS credited release would be Diana Ross. The voice on "Over and Over" is high, although much higher than Diana sings. "Over" is an understated Jean vocal, which also probably lent itself better to me thinking it was Diana. I don't think I could have ever confused Diana and Jean on a lot of other Jean leads. I do think there's something similar about Diana and Jean's voices, but it's the sound itself, if that makes any sense. I can't put my finger on it.

Another side note: my actual introduction to the 70s Supremes was my mother's 45 copy of "Heart Walking" b/w "Early Morning Love". At that point [[the 80s) I knew the Supremes as Diana, Flo and Mary. [[I'm not sure I knew Cindy, honestly.) I was years away from learning there were Supremes beyond those three. So when I played the record- which I loved both sides of on first listen, btw- I knew that there were two different lead singers on each side and that neither of them were Diana Ross. It wasn't until the 90s that I learned it was Scherrie and Mary. I thought "Heart" was Florence and correctly guessed that "Early" was Mary. Lol

@RanRan79,

I did listen to the Jean Terrell Playlist. I'm not sure if it was the entire LP or not, but indeed I felt the same "ho hum" about the material as I had recalled. But I do think it was more the material than it was anything else, although the arrangements were very colorless. But the song selection was largely too much of the same, all kind of one-note songs, which I don't think particularly suited Jean's voice. This material was way too mellow for her, I think, more like what might be better suited to Mary Wilson.

To me, Jean excels when she's allowed to break free a bit. IMHO her best performances are "Up the Ladder to the Roof," "5:30 Plane" [[I think to me that is her finest moment), "Bridge Over Troubled Water," "Stoned Love," "This is the Story." She's great when she can almost be operatic in her delivery, but she's oddly bland when it's just kind of a simple melody. I think she needs the drama behind her.

Not sure I'm making any sense, so I'll stop. Thanks for the link. I was glad to be able to hear the album again. Like several others have said, Jean really deserved better, something maybe like the Richard Perry produced Martha Reeves album.

I purchased the Jean T solo lp at Korvettes' in NYC as a "Really? There's a JT solo lp?" and was summarly ... bored. I believe that Jean got as good as she deserved. Wonderful singer, whatever performer, etc. It's all been said before. With the "correct" material, production and label support I could have been a hit, as could any of us.

@RanRan79,

I did listen to the Jean Terrell Playlist. I'm not sure if it was the entire LP or not, but indeed I felt the same "ho hum" about the material as I had recalled. But I do think it was more the material than it was anything else, although the arrangements were very colorless. But the song selection was largely too much of the same, all kind of one-note songs, which I don't think particularly suited Jean's voice. This material was way too mellow for her, I think, more like what might be better suited to Mary Wilson.

To me, Jean excels when she's allowed to break free a bit. IMHO her best performances are "Up the Ladder to the Roof," "5:30 Plane" [[I think to me that is her finest moment), "Bridge Over Troubled Water," "Stoned Love," "This is the Story." She's great when she can almost be operatic in her delivery, but she's oddly bland when it's just kind of a simple melody. I think she needs the drama behind her.

Not sure I'm making any sense, so I'll stop. Thanks for the link. I was glad to be able to hear the album again. Like several others have said, Jean really deserved better, something maybe like the Richard Perry produced Martha Reeves album.
    I went back and relistened to the CD. I have to agree 100% with this assessment. It
    said everything I would have.

@RanRan79,

Jean really did shine particularly well on the dramatic cuts, Kenneth. I agree about "5:30 Plane". I don't know if I would call it her finest moment- I'm too much of a fan to be able to narrow things down to Jean's "finest"- but it's certainly up there. "This Is the Story" is an absolute brilliant vocal, IMO.

As an album, I don't think it would have ever flown off the shelves, but like I said before, I can play it through and enjoy it for what it is.

Btw, regarding the similarities between Jean and Diana's vocals, I mistakenly said that I hear something similar in their sound. I meant to say that it isn't the sound itself but something else. I can't quite put my finger on it. Whatever it is, I think it made Jean a perfect replacement for Diana without trying to be Diana, and it made the public comfortable with the change.

Jean really did shine particularly well on the dramatic cuts, Kenneth. I agree about "5:30 Plane". I don't know if I would call it her finest moment- I'm too much of a fan to be able to narrow things down to Jean's "finest"- but it's certainly up there. "This Is the Story" is an absolute brilliant vocal, IMO.

As an album, I don't think it would have ever flown off the shelves, but like I said before, I can play it through and enjoy it for what it is.

Btw, regarding the similarities between Jean and Diana's vocals, I mistakenly said that I hear something similar in their sound. I meant to say that it isn't the sound itself but something else. I can't quite put my finger on it. Whatever it is, I think it made Jean a perfect replacement for Diana without trying to be Diana, and it made the public comfortable with the change.
    Perhaps "Tone" is the word you're looking for to describe that certain thing Ross and Terrell had in common vocally?

I found most of the songs boring. Sorry guys, but the only songs that still register in my brain were Rising Cost of Love, the title track and Change Up.

Hee hee "former lead singer for the 5th Dimension!" Ron Townson wanted Jean to take over Marilyn McCoo's spot, but she said no!