[REMOVE ADS]

40 Years Ago - MUSCLES Reaches Top 10

For the week of October 16th, 1982. From WIKI:

"Muscles" is a 1982 hit single written and produced by Michael Jackson, and performed by American singer Diana Ross. It was released as the first single on September 17, 1982 by RCA from Ross's Gold-certified album Silk Electric. The single reached number No. 7 in Cash Box magazine and No. 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It climbed as high as No. 4 on the Billboard Soul chart. The sexy song, which was rumoured to be named after Jackson's pet snake, was written for Ross and her "desire" for a muscle-bound lover. The track featured prominent background vocals by Patti Austin with seasoned session singers Maxine and Julia Waters. It earned Ross a twelfth and latest Grammy Award nomination for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance

I have never been sure if “Muscles” was one of the first or last songs to be recorded for “Silk Electric”. Diana was certainly savvy enough to realise the album needed at least one decent song on what is probably her weakest offering for rca.
    Never knew the hugely underrated Patti Austin was singing background on “Muscles”. Will have to take another listen.

Without going into the merits of Silk Electric again, imo Muscles was one of the weakest tracks on the album.

I thought depending on airplay/ promotion there was definite potential for Still In Love, Love Lies and In Your Arms in the UK.

Although peaking at #15 it sold around 125k here which is a respectable amount.

At the time the level of sales for a Gold Disc in the US was 1m and although it subsequently was reduced to 500k and Record Companies were permitted to claim retrospectively RCA never bothered in Diana's case.

Looking at the record's performance in Cashbox and considering it was Top 10 in December the strongest selling period of the year I think Muscles may have passed the 500k - Why Do Fools Fall In Love almost certainly did and perhaps Missing You.

Information on Diana's RCA sales is minimal.

i think there are pros and cons on Muscles. the biggest problem are the muffled vocals. that would become a definitely trademark of Michael [[and janet) but that was never a good sound for Diana. she had built a 20 year career on masterful interpretation of song and lyrics and so to lose that, loses a key element of what makes her sound. but the sound and style of the song was hot, especially for 82. too bad more of the album wasn't helmed by MJ

similarly, i wish more of the WDFFIL album had been by the producer of Mirror. this more rock-edged style was a good sound for her and a good follow up to the chic set.

Muscles is one of my favorite Diana Ross songs. Great record. It was experimental and she sounded great. The mood, the vocals, and the production are top notch. Easily in my top 10- maybe even top 5.

In an interview about this song, Diana said "I'm not sure if it's supposed to be his fantasy or mine," referring to Michael. Hee hee!! I'd like to have seen MJ's face when he read that quote. Good trash!

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    In an interview about this song, Diana said "I'm not sure if it's supposed to be his fantasy or mine," referring to Michael. Hee hee!! I'd like to have seen MJ's face when he read that quote. Good trash!
    She said that when I saw her live in concert during the Silk Electric tour. I was quite surprised and kinda shock she said that. Lol

Same here! For someone like DR, who is usually so careful when it comes to public statements, to say this was SHOCKING--especially back in the 80's when
    coming out usually killed your career. Luckily, DR's quip didn't seem to register on the public at large so MJ didn't suffer from it.
    Last edited by BobbyC; 10-19-2022 at 02:19 PM.

Same here! For someone like DR, who is usually so careful when it comes to public statements, to say this was SHOCKING--especially back in the 80's when
    coming out usually killed your career. Luckily, DR's quip didn't seem to register on the public at large so MJ didn't suffer from it.
    Do you really think Diana meant it that way? I don't think she would have made a slip like that. I just figured she meant Michael wanted muscles because he was sort of scrawny.

For me it was, and is, a cute novelty record. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reese--that's an interesting interpretation that never occurred to me-- but I think my original read was what she meant. I don't know that people fantasize about getting more muscular. But anyway, I think I actually bought Muscles back in the 90's--it's the only Diana solo record I ever bought besides Mirror Mirror.

There is nothing novelty about this song. It’s just a great R&B song. It is a classic. With regards to the comment she made, IMO she is not outing anyone. To me I think she was trying to say, it was his fantasy to want her. While the lyrics of the song are about a woman fantasizing about a man. So she was saying it’s his fantasy. I know I didn’t explain this right, but I hope some understand what I’m trying to say.

does anyone know what the heck "silk electric" even means? lol did she ever say anything about where/how this album title came from?

It means when there is silk, it is electric. For this and other rare insights...

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    does anyone know what the heck "silk electric" even means? lol did she ever say anything about where/how this album title came from?
    I doubt it means anything. Just a catchy title.

If I remember correctly. Silk is for the “silk screen” method used for the album cover, and electric was all the energy involved with making the album. I’ve seen others online say that electric is for the rock/guitar used on many of the songs.

Pretty sure the title came from Warhol himself. Miss Ross got a package deal for $95,000 for four portraits in total - one of her and each of her three daughters. Diana paid immediately which was unusual as Andy’s people had to chase a lot of other celebrities to get payment if they ever bothered to pay the bill at all.

Reese--that's an interesting interpretation that never occurred to me-- but I think my original read was what she meant. I don't know that people fantasize about getting more muscular. But anyway, I think I actually bought Muscles back in the 90's--it's the only Diana solo record I ever bought besides Mirror Mirror.
    I would say your original comment is most likely correct Bobby. It was Diana being playful, if a little naughty. “Drop The Mask” was again most likely Diana wanting MJ to be a little more upfront regarding his sexuality.
    I remember a review of “SE” [[Perhaps Blues & Soul) that said the title of the album was as vacuous as it’s contents. Electric it certainly wasn’t, containing songs deemed not good enough for “WDFFIL”.
    Without the inclusion of “Muscles”, the album would have been in big trouble. It certainly provided a fun moment at Central Park and is fondly remembered today.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 10-20-2022 at 02:29 PM.

I agree, Ollie. I think DR was making a playful joke. I don't think she understood how dangerous it was back then to "come out." For instance, when Elton John came out in the 70's, his career basically died and it took him years to reestablish his career. I remember the nasty things people said about him in those days. Same thing happened to Nona Hendryx when she came out. Things are different now, thankfully.

It might be Diana's most remembered RCA tune, in general. I think it's a great song. She should have let MJ attempt the entire album.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    There is nothing novelty about this song. It’s just a great R&B song. It is a classic...
    Name:  Screenshot_20221020-141425_Messages.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  7.8 KB

Khansperac, type the opening line of 'Have Fun Again' if you need us to call Emergency Services [911].
    Last edited by Guy; 10-20-2022 at 05:16 PM.