[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Four Tops Subs

Four Tops Subs

The Tops performed from 1953 - 1997 without one member change; that has to be some kind of record? But I'm curious: was there ever a performance or period during that time that someone had to sub for one of the Tops? Certainly in over 40 years, someone had to have been sick or had another pressing engagement? If that's the case, who stepped in?

I'd be interested to know this as well Mary. Maybe Marlene Barrow filled in?

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I'd be interested to know this as well Mary. Maybe Marlene Barrow filled in?
    Or Shantell Baker? Lol.

But I do wonder if someone like Joe Stubbs ever filled in as a Top?

At one point in the early 60s, Obie was drafted and temporarily replaced by Thearon "T-Man" Hill, who sang lead on one side of their Columbia single.

They may have performed as a three, as they have/are doing on their current UK tour. The Tempts have from time to time performed as a four

I seem to remember hearing that while Lawrence Payton was battling terminal cancer, his son filled in on some dates.

In 1999, when Levi was too ill to perform, Theo Peoples moved over to lead and Ronnie McNeir stepped in as a fourth Top for a couple of gigs. The following year he [[Ronnie) became a permanent member of the group.

My first concert was The Four Tops, at the Liverpool Empire, aged 15, I told school I had a dentist appointment. told Mum a rugby match after school. but in my rugby bag was a change of clothes, had never been to Liverpool on my own, went for the first performace by train 5.30pm

Never missed a Tour after that, and got to interview the guys many times, Levi was my favourite. went one last concert after Levi finished, and not been to one since.

The DVD where her is in his wheel chair side of stage, and he cries, brings me to tears everytime.

Miss Levi so much.

@jaybs,

What a great story! Did you ever tell your mom later that you had lied in order to get to see the concert? It never failed that with my mother, even if I confessed something I had done wrong years earlier, she always insisted on thinking the best about me and wouldn’t believe me! And being a naturally sneaky person, I almost never got caught!

In 1960, while Obie was in the service, the Toos recorded a single at Columbia. Theron Hill filled in for Obie on the recording, Ain't That Love, and sang lead on the B-side, Lonely Summer.

When Lawrence became ill, the Tops performed as trio, with the 4th microphone on stage representing Lawrence. They eventually hired Theo Peoples to replace Lawrence, which he did until he took over the lead when Levi couldn't perform. When Theo said into the lead, the Yoos hired Ronnie McNeir to fill the 4th spot. Lawrence "Roquel" Payton Jr joined the group in 2005, when Obie passed away.

Stretching the subject a bit but back in the 90s I recall seeing the Tops in a Motown package in Birmingham UK when for whatever reason Levi was clearly struggling to perform with no power in his voice. His band brothers covered for him so beautifully, riding into the powerful key notes in unison. It was moving to see. Lawrence did most of the heavy lifting then ended the set with a stunning, rocky Jumping Jack Flash surprising everyone! Easy to overlook how talented Lawrence was.

I don't have the book near me for reference right now, but I think I recall from Duke's book that he said that Eddie Kendricks sang the tenor part for him in Bernadette, because he wasn't feeling well during the time of the session.
    Last edited by CoolKatz; 10-22-2022 at 07:22 AM.

That's interesting about Eddie filling in for Duke. Who is the high voice that we hear when they sang "Reach Out" live? Was that Duke or Lawrence? I know Obie sang the lower notes so his voice is easy for me to pick out when I hear it.

Levi's last full public concert was in November of 2000. Theo, who had joined the group as the 4th Top after LP's passing, moved over to official lead in 2001, although he filled in at times for an ill Levi. Ronnie McNeir traveled with the group, filling in the 4th spot, when Theo sang lead. Later, he joined the group officially to replace Obie.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    My first concert was The Four Tops, at the Liverpool Empire, aged 15, I told school I had a dentist appointment. told Mum a rugby match after school. but in my rugby bag was a change of clothes, had never been to Liverpool on my own, went for the first performace by train 5.30pm

Never missed a Tour after that, and got to interview the guys many times, Levi was my favourite. went one last concert after Levi finished, and not been to one since.

The DVD where her is in his wheel chair side of stage, and he cries, brings me to tears everytime.

Miss Levi so much.
    Jay, I used to pocket the lunch money my parents gave me in order to keep up with Motown's 45 & LP release schedule, which was no easy feat. It's no wonder I was a 6'3" skinny string bean during those early years! What we didn't go through for the love of Motown. [[And you know what? To re-live those thrilling releases, I'd do it all over again. Gladly!)

BTW, seeing Levi crying from his wheelchair in the audience tore me apart inside, too. I'm sure it was emotional torture for everyone involved.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-25-2023 at 02:16 AM.