[REMOVE ADS]

Special edition LIFE Motown The Music That Changed America Issue.....

I just became aware of this special edition LIFE periodical on Motown. I have no idea what's contained or if there's any unseen photos or the like. It isn't on any local store shelves so I ordered one online. Has anyone seen it in person yet?
    Darin

Name:  LIFE Motown.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  95.1 KB

I bought a copy off eBay and it arrived today. It is nice enough but I don't think there are any truly rare photos that I've never seen before. And nothing bothers me more than photos that are misidentified [wrong year, wrong person, etc.] and there are a few of those.

But it is nice that LIFE decided to pay tribute to the label in this way. I constantly see these tribute magazines on everyone from the Beatles to the Stones to BTS. Performers such as Diana, Marvin, Smokey, and Stevie deserve the same.
    Last edited by reese; 10-17-2022 at 06:33 PM.

Here's a link for Life's website that has a sampling of photos and some/all?? of the writeup:

https://www.life.com/arts-entertainm...anged-america/

Is this going to be available in stores? I thought I read it was printed on demand, which tells me it's not of the quality or standard of other Time editions.

Thanks for the replies....
    Marybrewster, in the link Gary listed it says right at the top "available at newsstands and online" in a red link. Not sure what the online would be other than maybe you can access it if you're a LIFE subsriber. I don't purchase any non-physical media so looking forward to getting the copy I purchased off Ebay soon.
    Darin

Looks like maybe the "print on demand" is being offered by Amazon. I'd check your local stores that carry these deluxe magazine editions and if you don't find it order one off Ebay.

My copy arrived today....I only had a few minutes to brief through it but I noticed a couple photos that I didn't recall seeing before, but most are what we aficionados have already seen. Regardless, I'm still glad that they produced this as it might end up in the hands of some people new to the history of Motown and add some new fans to the fold.
    Darin

I saw plenty of copies in the check-out line at Publix supermarkets today. I'll have to look at it next time I'm in there. Stuff like that usually makes me mad because they repeat old lies & just the same old BS.

I heard that this LIFE Magazine Motown Tribute Edition was to be on newstands starting October 14, and had been totally frustrated NOT seeing it anywhere in Vancouver, Canada for the past week, although several special LIFE issues on Eagles, Prince, etc, etc fill the shelves. Giving my hunt one more try today, I found several copies available the London Drugs chain, but not yet at Chapters/Indigo Books. Beautifully reproduced large format photos make it well worth the $17.99 price here in Canada. Hopefully this issue will sell well, and encourage LIFE to publish more intense examinations of individual Tamla/Motown recording artists, as they certainly deserve it!

Got one from a grocery store newsstand - they had several

wow, it sure is not worth the $15.00 price tag. Not one pix of Mary Wells, and the oldest pix they could find of the Marvelettes. In the 2 page pix of Little Stevie Wonder back stage with Cassius Clay, they do not even acknowledge Dee Dee Sharp, Betty Harris or Dee Dee Warwick, just Ronnie Spector & Dionne Warwick.I think this book is $18.00 in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    wow, it sure is not worth the $15.00 price tag. Not one pix of Mary Wells, and the oldest pix they could find of the Marvelettes. In the 2 page pix of Little Stevie Wonder back stage with Cassius Clay, they do not even acknowledge Dee Dee Sharp, Betty Harris or Dee Dee Warwick, just Ronnie Spector & Dionne Warwick.I think this book is $18.00 in Canada.
    There is one pix of Mary Wells but it is with the Beatles. It would have been nice if she had at least gotten a solo shot.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I saw plenty of copies in the check-out line at Publix supermarkets today. I'll have to look at it next time I'm in there. Stuff like that usually makes me mad because they repeat old lies & just the same old BS.
    Me too, at my Publix.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There is one pix of Mary Wells but it is with the Beatles. It would have been nice if she had at least gotten a solo shot.
    Wow, reese, don't know how I missed that when I flipped through, Mary is so beautiful in that pix, but she was already gone from Motown when she did that tour. I think that pix was on the cover of Jet Magazine at the time.

also, major mistake on p.56 color photo of Martha Reeves & the Vandellas where they indentify Martha as Rosalind Ashford & Rosalind as Martha Reeves & Lois Reeves as Betty Kelly. I mean, come on. I'm sure there are more.

One photo caption---"Martha and the Vandellas had record buyers dancin' in the streets, circa 1960."

Lois Reeves is in that picture so it was not taken anywhere NEAR 1960. By the way, was that picture on any of the back album covers?

Right at the very beginning, haven’t they mixed up Marlon and Jackie?

What I did like was they occasionally would make some kind of blunt, perhaps slightly controversial conclusion like The Wiz was widely panned when released but has become a black cinematic favourite

more mistakes I have seen of the pix in this magazine is page 30 pix of Martha is from 1965 not 1960, page 31 pix of Marvin Gaye with Barney Ales & gold records is from 1971 not 1961!! Lord have mercy.

I just was at the Safeway grocery store which is affiliated with Albertson's throughout the USA. They had the LIFE issue on display at their checkouts so apparently they are also carrying it. Good to see this.