[REMOVE ADS]

Bond Girl Role Written for Diana Ross

Hot off LADY, it's interesting to think what Diana could have brought to the Bond franchise. Perhaps she might have might have sung the theme song?

But would Gordy have given up creative control to Hamilton and Saltzman? Doubt it. For as much as he did to boost her movie career, I often wonder if there was also some hinder?

As much as I adore Diana with every fiber, I can't see anyone but the bodacious Miss Gloria Hendry in that role. Maybe Pam Grier. Besides, Berry would have never approved anything less than star billing for Diana...and he would have never allowed her to be snuffed out so violently onscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Hot off LADY, it's interesting to think what Diana could have brought to the Bond franchise. Perhaps she might have might have sung the theme song?

But would Gordy have given up creative control to Hamilton and Saltzman? Doubt it. For as much as he did to boost her movie career, I often wonder if there was also some hinder?
    LADY producer Jay Weston said that after its success, Berry didn't want to work with any outside producers and it affected Diana's acting career as a lot of material submitted for her was rejected.

wow - there are 10,000 paths this topic could go down and all are fascinating!!

I agree that with the success of Lady and given Berry's massive involvement in it, he and Motown clearly took that as an affirmation that Motown Productions was a relevant force and here to stay. and that they would be able to call the shots. little did he know...

i cannot imagine any universe in which Berry would have allowed Diana to be a Bond Girl. that's far too exploitative of a role - so be some white English guy's arm candy and sexual conquest. plus the girl is almost always the plaything of the bad guy and therefore a "bad girl" so her death is often viewed as "oh well, she had it coming and kinda deserved it"

completely agree though that Berry was greatly limiting her roles and opportunities. while we've only heard of a few projects, i would assume post-Lady, her name was being discussed by quite a few producers. Although let's also face a cold hard fact - being black her roles where hideously limited. but would be interesting to learn about more projects she was at least discussed for.

another issue is Diana had major self-image concerns. Bond Girls always had to be in micro bikinis, laying around half naked in bed [[under the covers), etc. remember that she needed a couple shots of bourbon to get through the money grabbing scenes in Lady. and that was CLOTHED!!

i think diana's personality and demeanor would also not work with such a highly sexualized character

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    wow - there are 10,000 paths this topic could go down and all are fascinating!!

I agree that with the success of Lady and given Berry's massive involvement in it, he and Motown clearly took that as an affirmation that Motown Productions was a relevant force and here to stay. and that they would be able to call the shots. little did he know...

i cannot imagine any universe in which Berry would have allowed Diana to be a Bond Girl. that's far too exploitative of a role - so be some white English guy's arm candy and sexual conquest. plus the girl is almost always the plaything of the bad guy and therefore a "bad girl" so her death is often viewed as "oh well, she had it coming and kinda deserved it"

completely agree though that Berry was greatly limiting her roles and opportunities. while we've only heard of a few projects, i would assume post-Lady, her name was being discussed by quite a few producers. Although let's also face a cold hard fact - being black her roles where hideously limited. but would be interesting to learn about more projects she was at least discussed for.
    In CALL HER MISS ROSS, Jay Weston said that he wanted to do a remake of SABRINA as a musical with Diana and Jack Lemmon, who was excited about it. But Berry said "Forget it."

In the same book, Rob Cohen said that the WIlliam Morris Agency wanted to have a meeting with him to discuss Diana starring in a remake of BORN YESTERDAY. But he [[and later Berry) thought it an insult to offer her such a role.

Miss Ross is a superstar. She doesn't take second billing to anyone in a movie and I don't think the Bond producers would have sold a James Bond picture as Diana Ross in Live and Let Die with Roger Moore as James Bond.
    Last edited by Spreadinglove21; 10-13-2022 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks everyone - My only add to this discussion is that I believe Mr. Gordy made a lot of blunders with Diana and movie roles. Not every role had to be a starring role to grab that attention and that oscar. My opinion has always been that he was the wrong individual to guide her career into movies.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Thanks everyone - My only add to this discussion is that I believe Mr. Gordy made a lot of blunders with Diana and movie roles. Not every role had to be a starring role to grab that attention and that oscar. My opinion has always been that he was the wrong individual to guide her career into movies.
    To your point, it takes most actors years before they make it to the Oscars. A nomination on your first attempt tells you what a good film it was, and how good Diana was. But the problem becomes, Diana didn't have to work or struggle through sh*tty roles until something clicked. When you climb the ladder too fast, the only place to go is down. Had Mahogany and The Wiz come before LADY, things might have been different in her film career. Getting the golden ticket then forever chasing the golden ticket did her no favors.

I think Diana Ross was a very good actress. I could not see her as a Bond Girl, though, especially after Lady. Mahogany was a decent enough film and The Wiz is popular now but was met with reluctance when released that she was too old for the role, even rewritten. After that, she didn't do any film roles. Her tv exposure on Double Platinum was similar in vein to the Mahogany genre and Out of Darkness was another strong performance much like Lady. Berry may have made some wrong decisions but think of Streisand, she had many roles that were not as great as Funny Girl-Owl and the Pussycat,Main Event,For Pete's Sake- and a few that were wonderful like The Way We Were, Yentl, The Prince of Tides, Diana wasn't going to be in an amazing film every time yet I think that was what Gordy wanted and expected. Still, it would have been good to see her in more films yet definitely not as a Bond girl.

She could have been Barbara Carrera's character Fatima Blush in 1983's Never Say Never Again. I think she and Sean Connery would have been interesting on screen together. I believe Ms Ross was supposed to play Ms Carrera's character Angelica Nero on Dallas

frankly IMO the better vehicle for Diana than a Bond film would have been The Bodyguard. of course we're all familiar with the 90s version that was released. films in the 70s were often much darker and grittier. while there's some discussion of the plot in Randy's boo, it would be interesting to have the two scripts to compare.

i do think diana could have done well in the suspense genre. not so sure about Action but the intrigue and all could have been a great way for her to continue developing as a serious actor

also in Randy's book he discusses that Diana wouldn't really consider anything but a major starring role. no secondary roles, no big ensemble casts. but this i believe was more in reference to her approach in the 80s. not sure if these were demands also being made by Berry. certainly wouldn't be hard to imagine that he was though

and clearly all of the nominations and awards Lady received only further inflated the motown ego

It's unfortunate about no ensemble casts; she could have used her TARZAN swimming skills in THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE.

Seriously though, big budget "disaster" films with every star imaginable were all the rage in the 70's. And YOU JUST KNOW she would have been a survivor, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    It's unfortunate about no ensemble casts; she could have used her TARZAN swimming skills in THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE.

Seriously though, big budget "disaster" films with every star imaginable were all the rage in the 70's. And YOU JUST KNOW she would have been a survivor, lol.
    She could have been cast in the Helen Reddy part in Airport 1975 and reprised her role as a nun from that Tarzan episode.

i've mentioned this before but i think it's a great idea. if the Supremes had held on another year or two, they could have appeared on Love Boat! they could have been booked to appear on the Acapulco Stage on the boat for nightly shows.

the Mary would have met up with a dashing black actor [[maybe Richard Roundtree or Jim Brown). he would have been an old high school beau but recently divorced. they have a whirlwind romance but she convinces him to give his marriage a second try

Scherrie would have been the comedy one and she, Gopher, and Garrett Morris [[who would play Richard Rountree's brother who brought him on the cruise to cheer up after the divorce) would get involved in some looney hijinks while the ship is docked at Puerta Vallerta and Scherrie misses the boat, almost missing the show. But a helicopter whisks her back and there's a midsea transfer and all is saved lol

Susaye and issac get a bit friendly and disco all night long in the Diamondhead Disco Lounge onboard lol.