[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: The Four Tops

The Four Tops

After the Supremes my favorite group of all time has to be the Four Tops. Levi Stubbs' voice in particular was always a voice that just made me melt even as a child. The first time I ever remember feeling emotional from a song was from listening to Ask the Lonely.

Yet as much of a fan as I am of the group I dont really know much about them. Does anyone know what they were like individually as personalities? I feel like whenever I read about them it's about them collectively and not individually. For instance with the Supremes, we all know they each had three distinct personalities. Was that the case with the Four Tops too? From watching clips it always looks like Obie was having the time of his life and Levi was quite comedic. I want to read Duke's book but I've read on here that it wasn't that great.

Great questions floyjoy678.

The Four men together as a group were the epitome of professionalism. They all had their quirks and idiosyncrasies but they had a way of soliciting loyalty from the people they kept in their inner circle, which is probably why you don't hear a lot of negative stories about them as individuals. Don't know if that will ever change...guess time will tell after all is said and done.

As far as Levi being comedic, I couldn't agree more. I remember 2 instances where Levi's comedic side was on full display.

When the Tops and Aretha Franklin were getting ready to sing together around a piano, Aretha began to play and asked Levi, "What a good key for you?" Levi responded,"Whis-key."

Another time, the Tops were talking about Eddie Holland and Levi retorted, "Eddie thought he could sing and I would constantly tell him that he couldn't!"

I like that comment about Eddie Holland [[but a bit unfair I think too lol). The clip with Aretha is on YouTube - I enjpy watching that [[with a guest appearance from Stevie Wonder too lol).

The Four Tops as hitmakers were almost an alter ego of their natural leaning as a smooth four part harmony group. I tend to like more their smooth songs that get closest to their harmony style best but they sure can belt 'em out too.

Loved seeing them in concert and I do miss those guys.

Been thinking about this for a few days and I have something to add.
    Yes, Obie was hilarious. He was also wise and could be brutally honest but he had one of the biggest hearts of anyone you could ever imagine!!!!

I have a 1967 Program that was issued by Raydell Publishing in NYC which was sold at one of their performances. Here are a few things that everyone may not be aware of.

". . . Each has his individual hobbies, but all profess to be avoid golf fans. Levi, lead singer for the group, enjoys an occasional game of football. He has always been the outdoor-type, particularly on the football and track teams while in high school.

'Duke' Fakir, a fastidious desser, enjoys sporting the fashion world's latest outfits. He listens to classical and jazz records for relaxation.

Lawrence exercises with basketball in his leisure hours, or sits at the keyboard of his piano. He hopes to use the piano in the Tops' nightclub act sometime in the future.

Renaldo, or 'Obie' as his friends call him is anxious to master the guitar. He enjoys all kinds of music, but confesses that his main interest is in the Four Tops. . . ."