[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Sincerely

Sincerely

I always thought this was a really nice cover by the girls.

Diana is a little shrill on this one for me. I think Mary and Flo’s vocals should should be more to the fore for a softer, more unified sound.

the Tribute To The Girls album has some wonderful vocals. and stellar 3-part harmonies. the quality of the singing is very similar to CW&P but here you're getting much better songs.

on the Hip O Select release, we have a handful but there's really no info on what the planned release would have included. my guess is that some of the tracks from There's A Place would have been pulled into it.

I liked the harmonies on this one. I also like the point where Diana sings "won't you tell me why I love that fellow so" and her voice sort of rasps on the word "that". Little things like that mean a lot.

To my ears, the 25TH ANNIVERSARY mix is better, as you can really hear the harmonies, as opposed to the mix posted here.
    Last edited by reese; 10-11-2022 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Diana is a little shrill on this one for me. I think Mary and Flo’s vocals should should be more to the fore for a softer, more unified sound.
    I believe it is Mary and Marlene on this. Vocals were recorded June 17, 1965. The following day Marlene stood in for Florence at the Country Club of Detroit when Florence was out sick with the flu.

Someone once posted a YouTube link with just the background vocals/sans Diana's lead and it was pretty obvious the soprano wasn't Florence.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I believe it is Mary and Marlene on this. Vocals were recorded June 17, 1965. The following day Marlene stood in for Florence at the Country Club of Detroit when Florence was out sick with the flu.

Someone once posted a YouTube link with just the background vocals/sans Diana's lead and it was pretty obvious the soprano wasn't Florence.
    great point! that would also include Mr Sandman. the group also played Platters Dance Pavilion in Cadillac, MI on 6/12 and Detroit Cobo Hall on June 13. do we know if Marlene only did the Country Club date? or did she do others that week?

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

Thanks for the info brad. It’s really rather hard to tell just who is singing background on this recording, so nice to have it confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    great point! that would also include Mr Sandman. the group also played Platters Dance Pavilion in Cadillac, MI on 6/12 and Detroit Cobo Hall on June 13. do we know if Marlene only did the Country Club date? or did she do others that week?
    Florence was at Cobo Hall. I imagine she got sick shortly after that gig. She was out for over a week. Marlene recalled after the country club gig, they went to Philadelphia and then Boston at Basin Street East for a short engagement to prepare for the Copa show. After that, Florence returned.

Mother Dear was recorded around that time and I hear Flo on that one. I always thought Flo having the flu was closer to the Copa dates in July as it was said she was still recovering on opening night.