[REMOVE ADS]

Gladys Knight at Kleinhan's Music Hall with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra

On Saturday night, we had the privilege of seeing the Empress of Soul, Gladys Knight, with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra at Kleinhan's Music Hall. This was my second time and my husband's first time seeing this forever age-defying Motown legend! At 78 years old, her voice and beauty are still untouched by time! I knew we were in for a great show and Gladys completely blew us away during her 80 minute set [the orchestra did their own 45 minute set before the intermission]. Gladys and her backup singers even took us to church with an amazing gospel medley that shook the entire hall. I also loved her mash-up of Save the Overtime with Luther Vandross' Never Too Much. She received several standing ovations throughout the night.

After the show, I happened to find a vintage scan of an old concert poster from when she and the Pips appeared at Kleinhan's, from over 50 years ago! I think I will need to get that printed! This goes in my books as being one of my top favourite concerts!

I uploaded a few of the clips I managed to get onto YouTube [link included at the end of this post]. Apologies for the lackluster video quality at times, as the venue staff were extremely strict, but I couldn't let this magical night pass by without getting at least a few sneaky recordings.

I found a setlist that was posted to setlist.fm for her show in Delaware, which took place the night before. The run-down of the show seems to be exactly the same as the show we saw in Buffalo, except with the addition of the orchestra. The orchestra was also amazing, but I have to be honest that they were under utilized, as they seemed to only perform alongside Gladys' band for about 30% of her set. I am guessing because she and her band had a show in Delaware the night before, they didn't have much time to rehearse together. It seemed more like a standard Gladys Knight show with orchestra flourishings sprinkled throughout, which I didn't mind.

I had seen her for the first time back in 2009 and I think she looks and sounds better now, compared to back then. She has noticeably slimmed down quite a bit as well. She's incredible and undoubtedly still a force to be reckoned with, on stage! Seeing this show made me wish that we can get some sort of orchestral album or DVD from her in the future. At one point, an audience member handed her a beautiful large bouquet of yellow roses and she thanked him. The audience went wild and she said with a smile, "This is how it should be y'all"...implying that we should give our legends their flowers while they are still here. I wholeheartedly agree, as I feel she's not received her proper dues over the years. On that note, it's wonderful to see that she will be receiving the Kennedy Center honour in December!

Setlist:

4Evermore / I'll Take You There

The Nitty Gritty / Shake Your Body Down to the Ground

Love Overboard

Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me

In This Life

I've Got to Use My Imagination

Oh! What a Love I Have Found

The Makings of You

Save the Overtime [[For Me) / Never Too Much

I Can't Make You Love Me / Help Me Make it Through The Night

I Heard It Through the Grapevine

Neither One of Us [[Wants to Be the First to Say Goodbye)

The Way We Were

The Question Is

Everything You Touch Is A Song

Stand

Someone to Watch Over Me

Midnight Train to Georgia

https://youtu.be/G7E6wguL5NQ

Last edited by carlo; 10-10-2022 at 11:32 AM.

The set list is very similar to the Gladys concert I saw this past March. I always make it a point to see Gladys when she is anywhere near me because she doesn't disappoint. She sounds just as good as she ever did and genuinely seems moved by the response of her audience.

Yes, I would agree that she does indeed seem genuinely moved by and appreciative toward the response of the audience. She doesn't come to my neck of the woods very often, so it was nice to see her again. It was still a bit of a trek to see her, but definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Yes, I would agree that she does indeed seem genuinely moved by and appreciative toward the response of the audience. She doesn't come to my neck of the woods very often, so it was nice to see her again. It was still a bit of a trek to see her, but definitely worth it.
    I've had to travel quite far to see Gladys at times. But in March, I was lucky that she was only a subway ride away.

Thank you for that wonderful review. The quality of your video is much better than you indicated. Well done. I fell in love with your city last month, except for the high cost of lodging. Some great night and aerial photography was captured. Take care.

Thanks nabob! Yes, TO is quite expensive but I'm glad to hear you had a great time during your stay and captured some awesome photography

Sounds like a great show carlo!! I have to say, it sounds somewhat better than the Gladys concert I attended in London. I was left a bit disappointed to be honest, not with the singing, but the show overall [mostly the second half really].

Here’s the setlist from my show for comparison [I wasn’t familiar with any of the gospel songs]

Come Back And Finish What You Started / Baby Don’t Change Your Mind
    Love Overboard
    Neither One Of Us
    License To Kill
    I’ve Got To Use My Imagination
    I Heard It Through The Grapevine
    Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me
    Midnight Train To Georgia
    The Way We Were
    Hey Jude
    We Are The Champions
    [gospel song 1]
    [gospel song 2]
    [gospel song 3]
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 10-11-2022 at 07:09 PM.

Sorry to read that your experience at Gladys' London show was a bit lacklustre, TomatoTom. I seem to remember reading a similar comment about her set during the UK tour. While I would love to hear her sing License To Kill, it does indeed seem like there were many more songs she could have done from her vast catalogue, instead of the numerous covers and gospel songs, as per the setlist you posted. Coincidentally, I just happened to stumble upon a video on YouTube, of her Royal Albert Hall show from earlier this year, which seems to be recorded in full, by an audience member that was in attendance. I skimmed through it and while she sounded good, I could tell she was tired. "Hey Jude" and "We Are The Champions" seemed to be more like audience sing-along type numbers. She let the audience take over during Hey Jude, and sang a few lines from We Are The Champions. Not sure if this was the same show that you had attended, TomatoTom?
    Last edited by carlo; 10-11-2022 at 10:41 PM.

Hey carlo! Yes I believe it was the same show I attended [June 30th]. I enjoyed it, but I think you’re right that Gladys was tired. It finished quite abruptly, and without a familiar hit to end on [like "Midnight Train" at the concert you attended].

I did enjoy "License To Kill" very much actually [it was a big hit here in the UK]. As you say, it was the Queen, Beatles and 3 gospel songs that really threw me!!! Lol
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 10-12-2022 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    As you say, it was the Queen, Beatles and 3 gospel songs that really threw me!!! Lol
    I don't blame you!!

Yes, I think she tends to exclude License to Kill from her North American shows, since it was not a hit here, similar to how Diana also doesn't perform Chain Reaction and I'm Still Waiting, unless she's in the UK.

The first time I saw Gladys, her band opened with an instrumental interlude, before she took the stage. They were performing License To Kill and I got so excited, thinking that she was going to open the show with that...but then the band switched to a different song. What a tease lol. I was disappointed. It was still a great show though!