[REMOVE ADS]

VA - Detroit Jazz City [[Workshop Jazz Singles 1962-63 - Remastered Version) [[2022)

Previously unreleased compilation from the Jazz Workshop catalog, a Motown Jazz oriented subsidiary founded by Berry Gordy Jr. In 1962. The label was intended to release hi-quality jazz singles with a distinctive pop flavor. Here are five different groupings featuring heavyweights such as Thad Jones, Frank Foster, Sonny Payne, Frank Wess, Cecil McBee, Kirk Lightsey, as well as two original Funk Brothers: guitarist Joe Messina and pianist Johnny Griffith. No matter if in blues, soul, funk, or jazz, Detroit bears one of the deepest black music traditions in America. Now if you want to get through the motor city jazz side this is the right place to start. Features Hank & Carol Diamond, Earl Washington All Stars, Dave Hamilton, Johnny Griffith Trio, George Bohannon Quartet, and Paula Greer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Detroit-Jaz...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

This is something I would definitely purchase but only if issue on a compact disc. A real shame it will not be released in that mode.

There is a two CD collection available. I found it on eBay, it’s called something like “Motown Jazz” or “Jazz Sound of Motown” or something like that. I can’t quite remember. It ships from Japan. I’m always hesitant to buy from overseas sellers except from the UK, and with this one the first time I ordered it it never arrived. I was able to get a refund and I re-ordered it; that time I did get it. It’s a great set and includes many of the same songs mentioned on this one. It was well worth it and the sound was very good. It didn’t appear to me to be a bootleg at all, I felt it was an authorized issue as it was very professionally manufactured and the sound quality was excellent.

I think its cool that it's being released on vinyl but this is just a collection of singles that were released in 62/63. I initially thought that it was a collection of unreleased material but it's not. It appears that you can also find these tracks on TCMS.