[REMOVE ADS]

Raphael saadiq live in concert

Saw Raphael Saadiq in concert last week at St. Andrews Hall in downtown Detroit and the brother brought the heat. His band was incredible and the two powerhouse background singers were on fire. I forgot what a beast Raphael is on the guitar. He mostly performed his new material [[which is great), added the Lucy Pearl gem "Dance Tonight" and a few Tony Tone Toni classics "Lay Your Head On My Pillow", "Anniversary" and "Be Here" [[hid duet w/ D'Angelo from his solo debut). I love his new songs "Good Man" and "Heart Attack". Though the music has a classic feel to it, it still maintains its authenticity. When I got home I was online ordering Raphael Saadiq music. I'm now a bigger fan than I was before. Hope you check him out if he's in your town.

I just ordered his new CD as well.......great minds......

I bought the new CD two weeks ago, took awhile for me to warm up to it, but now I really like it. His last album, "The Way I See It" was stunning to me and is one of my favorite albums, so I had very high expectations for this one.

I think the new one is quite good, and probably more diverse than "The Way I See It." One thing I like about Mr. Saadiq is that he tries hard. He's willing to stretch himself musically, experiment a bit. He hires good musicians when he's not playing many of the instruments himself. I think he's doing a lot for Soul/R & B right now.

I watched his live show at the South By Southwest music festival on YouTube and he really is superb live. I hope he comes to my area.

Major props to Raphael, who really is doing some great things out there.

Glenco, thanks for the review. Raphael always brings it!!! I especially love that baseline in "Dance Tonight."