Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
Nope Nope Nope and as I have said many times when Flo left us so did any chance of a reunion. Someone had to be the in between Supreme and that was Flo. Mary and Diana were not going to agree or compromise after all these years unless that third Supreme who was around from the beginning to knock some sense into them [[literally). This has nothing to do or against Cindy because we all love Cindy but it just ws nit going to happen. Mary had her reasons and Diana had hers and it was just not going to happen.
Florence may have been able to bring some levelheadedness to a reunion had she lived, considering she had done what neither Diana nor Mary had to do: return to "normal" life after being a star. Of course it's unfortunate that we'll never know. I like to think that Cindy would have been a voice of reason, not only because of her own experience of returning to regular life, but because she was older by a few years. Unfortunately, there's no evidence that Cindy had the personality for buffering between personalities like Diana and Mary.

The reunion idea post what actually happened during Motown 25 never really has a chance without Diana and Mary coming together to squash their issues. Even if RTL had somehow made it off the ground with Mary involved, there's a big chance it would have imploded because the pressure that causes it is ever present since they refused to address it with one another. Each lady had legit gripes with the other and I don't think either one was in position to see things from the other's perspective without a conversation. They refused to do this and we fans lost out on something that I'll always believe we deserved: a Diana and Mary Supremes reunion project.

But I do think Diana's actions at Motown 25 really pushed Mary to write Dreamgirl, and Mary writing Dreamgirl pushed Diana to put Mary in the "nope" category. So in an alternate universe where Motown 25 goes off without a hitch, and in a world before Dreamgirl is written, a Supremes reunion would have rocked.

It's interesting that in the 80s, had Flo lived, it's being considered that she would be the buffer, since in the 60s Mary was the buffer between Flo and Diana.