[REMOVE ADS]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Well now I guess is the time for me to tell you guys something. I had a friend named Dave who worked at RCA in the 80's, during Diana's reign. He told me that DR was so demanding and nasty that after a few months no one wanted to work with her anymore. She threw tantrums, screamed at people-- if she felt like every single person wasn't performing for her at 100% capacity. Dave couldn't stand her and neither could anyone else at the company. She apparently thought she was still at Motown and could pull that kind of crap. Diana's bad attitude was the reason her career at RCA died rather quickly. So RCA took their resources and put them totally behind Hall and Oates, who were more consistent hit-makers anyway. DR did this to herself.
    Thanks for sharing Bobby. I also have met people that told me how nasty she can be. The only experience i personally have had is when i witnessed her screaming at children in a London park close to where i use to live. This was during the 90’s.
    I’m sure she is a much different person now, and as we know has had her moments of generosity. I think with Diana it all depends on the day and how she is feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Yet, De Passe still worked with Diana, who jumped onstage with Adam Ant in a breech of professionalism, who pushed someone aside, who pushed a microphone away from someone. who stopped singing in the middle of a song, someone who showed up late and didn't rehearse the 4 songs for the "big reunion" moment and decided that the "girls" would be "happy" with one song. I think their friendship had Suzanne overlook that and take sides with Diana during this friction. Yes, Mary sang low so her microphone wouldn't be turned down so low as to be inaudible, she did add her own words during a scripted moment and wore a red dress for the "reunion" instead of black, white or silver. Mary took over the lead when Diana stopped singing and I have always noted on the tape that Mary seems to nod to Diana with her hand extended like she was trying to hand the lead back over to her if she was ready and Diana continued to just speak instead. They both were not doing what they should have but Mary being singled out seems to be a continuation of the indignities she faced for many years from the hands of Motown. She was not a perfect human being, but obviously the relationship of someone who you considered a friend who was definitely only always thinking of themselves and another who would respond with a passive aggressive defense would mean there were two parties to blame and it shouldn't always be the one who has to put up with the others ego constantly.
    Right or wrong, some people will make allowances for the behavior of superstars if it benefits their project. Unfortunately, Mary didn't have that status and even commented herself that she wasn't invited to the next Motown special [[the Apollo) because of her "behavior" at MOTOWN 25.

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post

Suzanne did work later on with Mary on Motown 40:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142043/
    As I remember, the new interview footage of Mary included in MOTOWN 40 wasn't done specifically for that project. It was obtained from another source. I vaguely recall the fan club mentioning that Mary wasn't pleased with its use.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    As I remember, the new interview footage of Mary included in MOTOWN 40 wasn't done specifically for that project. It was obtained from another source. I vaguely recall the fan club mentioning that Mary wasn't pleased with its use.
    I'm sure main reason why Mary wasn't pleased was because she didn't get paid, only the owner of the archival footage.

I just checked something that crossed my mind. Mary and Cindy performed at Motown 45.

However, Suzanne DePasse was not involved, while I always assumed the was / is involved everything Motown TV or film related.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388283/fullcredits

After watching the clip its sadly to think this was the last time Cindy performed. Or did she perform later on?

And what a trooper Mary was, remember the stroke she had jus before this taping?

Too many people to miss.....
    Last edited by 1382hitsville; 10-23-2022 at 08:52 AM. Reason: addition

It was sad that the last time Mary and Cindy performed together was at Motown 45. They were with Kelly Rowland so it wasn't 3 actual Supremes. Suzanne said she would never have Mary on a show she produced again. Cindy hadn't really performed in quite some time. Yes, Mary did suffer a stroke before this taping and still went on. Mary did not offer her illness as an excuse for anything, even though I remember reading some rude comments at the time that her health issues showed up at "convenient" times. I cannot tell you how angry such comments made me feel. Mary was always an entertainer and a trooper despite Motown's treatment of her she still went on and still championed the group until her dying day.

I recall reading that at Motown 45 rehearsal and taping Mary went ballistic when she heard that Cindy was going to be introduced as an "original Supreme" and Mary demanded and got a re-write to have Cindy introduced as "former Supreme" with only Mary getting "original" tag. Ok, I get it. But then Mary proceed to viciously cuss out Cindy to the point where Cindy was in tears because of this matter. Maybe Mary wasn't in her right mind due to her health episode, but if Diana Ross can be called a bitch for some of her abusive behavior and actions over the years, then it's fair to call Mary a bitch for such conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Mary was always an entertainer and a trooper despite Motown's treatment of her she still went on and still championed the group until her dying day.
    I totally agree Jim. I have never met Mary, but have been told so many wonderful stories over the years regarding her professionalism and generosity of spirit that i almost feel I have.
    It was wonderful reading the multitude of glowing tributes from entertainers and friends all over the world who were lucky enough to have known her.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I recall reading that at Motown 45 rehearsal and taping Mary went ballistic when she heard that Cindy was going to be introduced as an "original Supreme" and Mary demanded and got a re-write to have Cindy introduced as "former Supreme" with only Mary getting "original" tag. Ok, I get it. But then Mary proceed to viciously cuss out Cindy to the point where Cindy was in tears because of this matter. Maybe Mary wasn't in her right mind due to her health episode, but if Diana Ross can be called a bitch for some of her abusive behavior and actions over the years, then it's fair to call Mary a bitch for such conduct.
    This unfortunately did happen. Not making an excuse for her, but she was on medication at this time following her illness and that affected her. I know vocally she wasn't her best.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    This unfortunately did happen. Not making an excuse for her, but she was on medication at this time following her illness and that affected her. I know vocally she wasn't her best.
    If that's true, it had to be the medication. Mary does not have that reputation. I can understand her wanting to make sure "original" status wasn't granted to anyone other than the actual originals, but to go off on Cindy? For what purpose? Was Cindy campaigning to be called an original Supreme? I find that doubtful. Of course Mary is no saint, and I'm sure no stranger to cussing people out, but this story just doesn't sound characteristic of her where Cindy is concerned. I've known people who were on certain medications and they became like different people. I'm inclined to believe it was the medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Well now I guess is the time for me to tell you guys something. I had a friend named Dave who worked at RCA in the 80's, during Diana's reign. He told me that DR was so demanding and nasty that after a few months no one wanted to work with her anymore. She threw tantrums, screamed at people-- if she felt like every single person wasn't performing for her at 100% capacity. Dave couldn't stand her and neither could anyone else at the company. She apparently thought she was still at Motown and could pull that kind of crap. Diana's bad attitude was the reason her career at RCA died rather quickly. So RCA took their resources and put them totally behind Hall and Oates, who were more consistent hit-makers anyway. DR did this to herself.
    i've also heard that she could be wildly demanding and a very harsh boss. i think part of this was her training - motown was NOT a lovely sweet and friendly place. from what i've heard berry managerial style was merciless. not just his cruel notes to the girls on their performances but the actual way the offices at motown were run. extremely high pressure to perform, overly critical, ruthless competition.

on top of this, she was on her own now and absolutely determined to prove that her decision to leave motown was a good one. she's a perfectionist and demands perfection in her presence.

i get the sense that the president of RCA woo'd her to the label in order to score a huge signing. then RCA basically placated her with the first 2 albums which sold but were not the kinds of artistic statements she should have been making. especially SE. she was clearly just going through the motions with her recording career and focusing elsewhere and the showed in the quality of the music she was turning in to the label.

the label paid a HUGE amount for her and probably assumed they'd get an immediate pay-off similar to the diana 80 project. that album and the singles sold millions and millions. RCA was going to need a few of those in order to get the return on their investment. and after several albums, it was probably clear the mega record wasn't going to happen

and then the leadership changed. the new RCA president started to cut singers and acts that were too expensive. i'd guess that once he saw the sales data for DR and heard of her difficult behavior, he was through with her.

If I'm remembering this correctly, Dave said signing Ross was a "trophy signing." She was signed to give RCA clout because she was a huge name at the time, even though her record sales were sporadic. Another label signed Bob Dylan for this same reason, as his records weren't huge sellers. It's all about prestige and clout.

i never understood ,really , why on motown 45, they didnt have Jean or Scherrie , or really all the ladies come and sing a few of the hits
    Mary could sing lead on the 60s songs and Jean could do her own hits with the group.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i've also heard that she could be wildly demanding and a very harsh boss.
    She’s a perfectionist and demands perfection in her presence. .
    From everything I've ever read, Hitler shared the same kind of ethic.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    i never understood ,really , why on motown 45, they didnt have Jean or Scherrie , or really all the ladies come and sing a few of the hits
    Mary could sing lead on the 60s songs and Jean could do her own hits with the group.
    From what I recall, at least Scherrie was in the audience that night. Not sure about the other ladies. I'm sure Kelly was added as a "name" and to draw in a younger audience.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    From what I recall, at least Scherrie was in the audience that night. Not sure about the other ladies. I'm sure Kelly was added as a "name" and to draw in a younger audience.
    More and more that seems to be the case when these specials are produced. On MOTOWN 45, there were other duets on the show that paired a legendary Motown artist with someone younger. Jermaine Jackson sang with Nick Lachey, Lionel Richie sang with Kelly Rowland, Smokey and Joss Stone, and my favorite spot, Gladys Knight using Cedric the Entertainer, Joey Fatone, and George Lopez as her Pips.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    More and more that seems to be the case when these specials are produced. On MOTOWN 45, there were other duets on the show that paired a legendary Motown artist with someone younger. Jermaine Jackson sang with Nick Lachey, Lionel Richie sang with Kelly Rowland, Smokey and Joss Stone, and my favorite spot, Gladys Knight using Cedric the Entertainer, Joey Fatone, and George Lopez as her Pips.
    Given who they got, the special had a very B list quality to it, sad to say. Kelly Rowland, not Beyonce. Joey Fatone, not Justin Timberlake. Nick Lashey, not Usher. Joss Stone, not Amy Winehouse, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Given who they got, the special had a very B list quality to it, sad to say. Kelly Rowland, not Beyonce. Joey Fatone, not Justin Timberlake. Nick Lashey, not Usher. Joss Stone, not Amy Winehouse, etc.
    Although in 2004, Beyonce' wasn't quite yet BEYONCE'. Kelly [[with Nelly) had a HUGE single with #1's pretty much across the board. At the same period, Bey had only 2 #1's under her belt. So I wouldn't quite say she was B list. In 2014, that's a different story.

To me though, it would have made more sense to have Beyonce' as a "replacement" for Diana, since she was the lead of D3. Having Kelly just seemed like having 2 Mary's.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Although in 2004, Beyonce' wasn't quite yet BEYONCE'. Kelly [[with Nelly) had a HUGE single with #1's pretty much across the board. At the same period, Bey had only 2 #1's under her belt. So I wouldn't quite say she was B list. In 2014, that's a different story.

To me though, it would have made more sense to have Beyonce' as a "replacement" for Diana, since she was the lead of D3. Having Kelly just seemed like having 2 Mary's.
    actually i would have been cute to have Destiny's Child there as a trio, singing a tribute to the motown girl groups. a hits medley of songs from various groups. and then have Mary, Cindy, Martha, Annette, and others join them in a celebration of the girls of motown

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    actually i would have been cute to have Destiny's Child there as a trio, singing a tribute to the motown girl groups. a hits medley of songs from various groups. and then have Mary, Cindy, Martha, Annette, and others join them in a celebration of the girls of motown
    That is a cool idea. Martha and her sisters did perform at MOTOWN 45 but their performance was edited out.

yeah it just sort of popped into my mind. of course there would have already been lots of Supremes clips, interviews with Diana and with Mary, etc. so it's not like the Sups wouldn't be represented anyway. there probably wouldn't have been a ton of stuff on MRATV and probably little to none on the Marvelettes.

I think DC were already broken up at this time but what a great opportunity for a mini reunion of the girls. i think Matthew Knowles and the production firm would have recognized what good PR it would be to have DC acknowledge their girl group predecessors and a perfect time for the 3 to re-appear together.