[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes' Mary Wilson - Stoned Love | You're My Driving Wheel

ask and you shall receive 😜

I think Mary does a good job on these songs.

The first part of "Stoned Love" sounds so very good! I was less impressed when the tempo picks up, but Mary handled it adequately. But that first part of "Stoned Love"...Mary was on it. Shockingly is how good she sounds on "Wheel". I never fail to state how little suited to uptempo tunes Mary was IMO, but she is an excellent replacement for Scherrie here. Honestly, I think I prefer Mary's vocal on this to Scherrie's.

maybe the song should have been called WHOO WO WO WHO

You've been a bad, bad boy, Boogie.

I know

I'm like the Four Tops , I can't help myself

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    maybe the song should have been called WHOO WO WO WHO
    You are TOO FUNNY but I know right. If they said that one more DAMN TIME!!!! But honestly Mary did that a lot not just on Stoned Love.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The first part of "Stoned Love" sounds so very good! I was less impressed when the tempo picks up, but Mary handled it adequately. But that first part of "Stoned Love"...Mary was on it. Shockingly is how good she sounds on "Wheel". I never fail to state how little suited to uptempo tunes Mary was IMO, but she is an excellent replacement for Scherrie here. Honestly, I think I prefer Mary's vocal on this to Scherrie's.
    May always did too much on the uptempo songs. When she kept it simple it always came out better.

Driving Wheel always seems to fall short in the live version. I will admit though this one is one of the stronger live clips. I think it helps significantly not having all the ad libs and shouts.

both this song and BW almost always sounded weak live. not sure what instrumentation is missing. the brass and horns always just sort "off" - sort of just honking along. I would assume the musicians are fine, it's just the chart written for them. maybe they really should have amped up the brass and let them rip. sort of like Earth Wind & Fire or KC and Sunshine Band.

I do appreciate Mary sticking more to the melody in SL than Jean did. with this performance, i know they were on a time crunch so it's ok that Mary didn't adjust her vocals on the chorus from the alto harmony to Jean's melody line. but when she did the song in her 79 debut at NYNY, it's the same way. she should be singing the melody in the choruses, as the lead singer. and one of the backups doing the alto harmony