[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I wonder the public/media reception had Diana recorded the album. Would her commercial sound have elevated the songs to a higher level or would it still have died a death?. It certainly would have had more attention lavished on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I wonder the public/media reception had Diana recorded the album. Would her commercial sound have elevated the songs to a higher level or would it still have died a death?. It certainly would have had more attention lavished on it.
    Interesting question. Honestly, I think most of the album would have benefitted from Diana's voice as the material was mostly better suited to her than Mary. Would Diana be enough to elevate the album to a success? I don't think so. It would have done better than it did with Mary, just off Diana's name alone. But as a collection of songs, there isn't much there that would have really wowed the public, Diana or not.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Interesting question. Honestly, I think most of the album would have benefitted from Diana's voice as the material was mostly better suited to her than Mary. Would Diana be enough to elevate the album to a success? I don't think so. It would have done better than it did with Mary, just off Diana's name alone. But as a collection of songs, there isn't much there that would have really wowed the public, Diana or not.
    Diana's name would have probably allowed it to at least chart marginally. but her name most definitely wasn't enough. look at Baby It's Me - a beautiful album though perhaps not really timed properly. the sound just wasn't "it" in late 77, not against the power of what Barry and the Gibbs were doing. and the results are 3 weak pop singles

and then look at the mess of Ross 78. What You Gave Me is at least as good as anything on Mary's album, if not better [[again, that's not high praise lol). Lovin Livin Givin MIGHT have been able to do a little bit on the charts, maybe more in it's original format and not the Donna Summer I Feel Love knock off

so no, i don't think DR would have guaranteed this to be a hit

Another idea that could have boosted Mary is a duet between her and Diana. Think Donna and Barbra and "No More Tears". I think the public would have eaten it up, and this could have introduced solo Mary to a bigger audience. Mary and Diana always sounded good together as duet partners anyway.