[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Come & Get These Memories

Live clip.

Fantastic! Matching wigs!

Cool video, mysterysinger! It's interesting to note that Motown used 1966-era Martha & The Vandellas to make a video of their 1963 hit, but totally enjoyable just the same! At first glance, the girls' gowns remind me of The Supremes' blue "You Can't Hurry Love" gowns on the Ed Sullivan Show. Berry was glamming-up the Motown artists, and The Vandellas were a shining example!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-14-2022 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Cool video, mysterysinger! It's interesting to note that Motown used 1966-era Martha & The Vandellas to make a video of their 1963 hit, but totally enjoyable just the same! At first glance, the girls' gowns remind me of The Supremes' blue "You Can't Hurry Love" gowns on the Ed Sullivan Show. Berry was glamming-up the Motown artists, and The Vandellas were a shining example!
    This is actually from an appearance on American Bandstand. During the same appearance, they also did DANCING IN THE STREET.
    Last edited by reese; 10-14-2022 at 08:16 AM.

This begs the question, why were they performing songs from 63 and 64 on an American Bandstand 1966 promotional appearance? Shouldn't they have been performing their current single?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    This begs the question, why were they performing songs from 63 and 64 on an American Bandstand 1966 promotional appearance? Shouldn't they have been performing their current single?
    Sometimes artists did past hits while appearing on AB as well as their new release. There is another Vandellas appearance where they did JIMMY MACK as well as DANCING IN THE STREET.

In this case, in Dick Clark's intro on the DITS clip, he mentioned their GREATEST HITS album had been on the charts for over a year. So maybe they were promoting that?

To this day I remember an AB appearance in which they did Jimmy Mack and the kids just would not stop cheering and clapping when they finished. Finally Dick had to say "Alright, you will get another chance at them!" or words to that effect. Does anyone else remember that appearance?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Perhaps that was what Dr. Reeves felt like singing on those days and on those shows. A star of her magnitude should be allowed to sing whatever hit shes feeling from her catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Perhaps that was what Dr. Reeves felt like singing on those days and on those shows. A star of her magnitude should be allowed to sing whatever hit shes feeling from her catalog.
    That makes sense and eases my mind. I'm glad this was Dr. Reeves' choice and not something imposed on her by Berry Gordy and that Ross woman to thwart Martha and the Vandellas.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    To this day I remember an AB appearance in which they did Jimmy Mack and the kids just would not stop cheering and clapping when they finished. Finally Dick had to say "Alright, you will get another chance at them!" or words to that effect. Does anyone else remember that appearance?
    No, I'm not familiar with that performance, David, but I would sure love to see it!