[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RossHolloway Guest

Three Motown Wishes

If granted 3 wishes for future releases what would you wish for? I came up with 5, but will limit my list to just 3. So here it goes:

1. Lost & Found: Brenda Holloway 1963-1968

2. Lost & Found: LIVE from Detroit! [[boxset of live recording of various artist captured live on stage in Detroit)

3. Cellarful of Motown V- 1970-1972-The final Detroit Years.

So what are yours?

And in case anyone was wondering, the two I left off were:

At the Copa - The Complete Copacabana Recording from The Supremes [[box set: stereo, mono albums, unedited 1965 debut, 1967 concert)

Lost & Found: Stevie Wonder 1961-1969

1. Another Supremes DVD...I would love an official DVD with all of the Ed Sullivan appearances.

2. The Marvelettes Albums Volume 2 [[still on the way)

3. The Supremes 1970's Lost & Found [[it would at least have to have "Soft Days" and "Remote Control" on it, or else I wouldn't buy it, lol)

1. Diana Ross dvd
    2. Supremes 70's Lost and Found
    3. Gladys Knight & the Pips lost and Found

1. The Complete Motown Recordings - Mary Wells [[would that be OK for a 2CD set if unreleased tracks are included?)
    2. Lost & Found [[the 60s) - Stevie Wonder
    3. Lost & Found - Gladys Knight & The Pips

1. Diana Ross Lost & Found with one new song reuniting her and Mary and Cindy.
    2. A Diana Duets CD with Lionel, Stevie, Smokey, Rod, Aretha, Beyonce, Barbra, Donna, Tina, Dionne and one new song reuniting her with Mary and Cindy.
    3. A CD with the Motown big names getting back together - Diana, Stevie, Lionel, Gladys, Smokey.

jobeterob - you got me thinking and based on this video I reckon a Diana and Smokey duet album would be a wish for me given their history together and the great chemistry between them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlIx0lbl3iQ

Stevie Wonder: his early albums
    David Ruffin: if anything is left
    Brenda Holloway: Lost & Found [[as Ross posted above)

The Complete Motown Singles Vols 12a &12b
    Eddie Holland - Anthology
    The Contours Sing It's So Hard Being A Loser [Expanded]

Plus all of the above.

1. To see a really good Ashford & Simpson anthology CD out

2. To find anymore Smokey Robinson releases

3. To see anymore video clips of Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

These choices would be "uptight and clean out of sight".

In regards to Mary,Stevie, and Gladys.
    Last edited by Motown4Ever518; 06-03-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  21.1 KB

[[1)Brenda Holloway-Lost and Found
    [[2)Eddie Holland - Anthology
    [[3)Spinners-Anthology [[including all unreleased + released)
    [[4)Mary Wells Motown Anthology [[all released and unreleased)
    [[5)The Contours Sing It's So Hard Being A Loser [[Expanded to include Dennis Edwards' early, so-called "solo recordings").
    [[6)Lost & Found: Stevie Wonder 1961-1969
    [[7)Fantastic Four Anthology

[[8)Young Girls: Patrice Holloway vs. Carolyn Crawford -enough for one decent-sized CD [[unreleased +released-ALL extremely good quality).

[[9)Linda Griner Motown Anthology. Supposedly, there are enough unreleased cuts for an album [[at least 12-14. Add the two released cuts, and 14-16 cuts produced by Smokey, sounds like a winner!

[[10)Gospel From The Motown Vaults: The Pronouns, Wright Specials, Gospel Stars, Burnadettes and Liz Lands [[There was a whole mess of unreleased Pronouns cuts in The Vaults when I was around throughout the 70s and the beginning of the '80s. Great stuff!

[[11)Harvey/Tri-Phi Gems: Including released and unreleased [[The Two Friends [[Steve Mancha [[Clyde Wilson) and Wilbur Jackson)), Loe & Joe, Johnny & Jackie, The Five Quails, Challengers III, Spinners, Harvey Fuqua, Shorty Long, Keith [[Stacy Adams) Moss, etc.

[[12)Tri-Phi/Messenger Gospel Gems: Entire Messenger Records catalogue [[released + unreleased) plus Tri-Phi releases.

[[12)Motown Doo Wop: Satintones, Chico Leverett, Serenaders, Sammy Turner & Serenaders, Equadors, Creations, Versatones, Valadiers, Majestics, Temptations, Miracles, Edward Earling, Wade Jones & Rayber Voices, Contours, Downbeats, Wyatt "Big Boy" Shepherd, Marv Johnson, Eddie Holland, etc.
    Last edited by robb_k; 06-04-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Only three then

1: Jerry Butler the complete Motown recordings box set.

2: 12A & 12B the complete singles

3: easy...Robb K list above lol.

This wish is not to do with future releases.

We've had far too many obituaries in the last few years. I just wish it would be another few years before we had to read any more.

Very difficult to decide, but the following would be high on my list,

1. The complete Workshop Jazz album catalogue

2. The Complete Fantastic Four [[to include the un-released album)

3. The Complete Spinners

Wow, what a lot of great suggestions! I'll leave off the Marvelettes Vol. 2 since it's coming out anyway. But I would totally love to see:

1. The complete Workshop Jazz catalogue - what a great idea, big_mac.
    2. A "Lost and Found" Stevie Wonder, especially of early sides like the scrapped "Work Out Stevie" LP
    3. Eddie Holland Anthology
    4. The Contours Sing It's So Hard Being A Loser with additional Joe Stubbs and Dennis Edwards tracks of course!
    5. Gospel From The Motown Vaults. I agree with Robb-K, this I would love to see. Some of the early Wright Specials, Divinity label stuff, perhaps right up through the "Loving Memory" or "Rock Gospel" LPs. That would be an awesome set. Ace/Kent did one on the King label. It was awesome, though only one volume.

Two more excellent CD reissues of the Rick James albums "Throwin' Down" and "Glow".

The Switch catalog released officially in the U.S..

A complete CD collection of ALL of Stevie Wonder's SINGLES, stereo AND mono.

1. Gladys Knight & The Pips - Lost & Found
    2. Jr. Walker & The All Stars - The 70's Albums
    3. The 70's Supremes - Lost & Found [[Jean Terrell Years)

RossHolloway Guest
    SIDE NOTE: To those wanting early Stevie Wonder's albums, there is The Complete Stevie Wonder up on I-Tunes and it's a crazy-wonderful collection. And includes the UNRELEASED LPs Workout Stevie Workout [[Tamla 248) and Live At The Talk of The Town [[1970?) and from 1968 the sides from the LP, but never on CD Live At the Tamla-Motown Festival Tokyo. The collection also inclues 61 mono-singles.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 1245

[[9)Gospel From The Motown Vaults: The Pronouns, Wright Specials, Gospel Stars, Burnadettes and Liz Lands [[There was a whole mess of unreleased Pronouns cuts in The Vaults when I was around throughout the 70s and the beginning of the '80s. Great stuff!

[[ etc.
    The Sons of ZION- FROM WHICH CAME ONE Wilson Pickett - also recorded lots of gospel sides for Motown in 1962-1963. The Pronouns were signed to Motown around the same time.

Views: 1163
    I didn't luck upon any of The Sons of Zion recordings in The Vaults [[probably because it was easier to read labels of individual acetate records [[and play them) than to check out tapes to play. I found an LP-sized Pronouns acetate with 8 songs on it, which turned me on to the group. I've heard a couple of Sons of Zion songs. They were great! I can't wait to hear lots of unreleased Motown gospel cuts. I played a couple of unmarked acetates that were fantastic Gospel recordings. I couldn't tell, by their lead's voice, which group they were. But, there were plenty of great Gospel recordings in The Motown Vaults during the 1970s [[they must still be there [[other than acetates that were removed [[stolen) and auctioned off to collectors).

Gladys Knight & Pips Lost and Found

Mary Wells Anthology [[ including any unreleased Tracks)

Jean Terrell & 70's Supremes Lost and Found [[ If there is any quality unreleased tracks left)

It's great to see everyones wish lists, but lets hope Harry,Andy and co are also viewing to see what could possibly be big sellers for Hip O.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    SIDE NOTE: To those wanting early Stevie Wonder's albums, there is The Complete Stevie Wonder up on I-Tunes and it's a crazy-wonderful collection. And includes the UNRELEASED LPs Workout Stevie Workout [[Tamla 248) and Live At The Talk of The Town [[1970?) and from 1968 the sides from the LP, but never on CD Live At the Tamla-Motown Festival Tokyo. The collection also inclues 61 mono-singles.
    Wow, I had no idea this was available via Itunes. But, being a collector, I have to be able to hold it in my hands...okay no wisecracks please... Great information, though and interesting comments on the reviews page as well. Thanks RossHolloway.

SIDE NOTE: The collection also inclues 61 mono-singles.
    Many people want them on CD, and they want the 70s and 80s single versions too. That iTunes collection does not have them all.

1. The complete Workshop Jazz album catalogue
    2. Mary Wells comlete Motown recordings [[ including any unreleased Tracks)
    3. The 70's Supremes - Lost & Found [[Jean Terrell Years)

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Wow, I had no idea this was available via Itunes. But, being a collector, I have to be able to hold it in my hands...okay no wisecracks please... Great information, though and interesting comments on the reviews page as well. Thanks RossHolloway.
    Well I'd be suprised if this type of collection will ever be put in traditional cd format [[37 CDs worth of music? Crazy expensive) and I think I-tunes or online music is really the wave of the future. I prefer hard copies as well, but you can also burn your downloads from I-Tunes onto cd if that gives you any comfort.. I hope they give other artist this treatment as well. I could just imagine what a Marvin Gaye or Diana Ross collection would be like.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Many people want them on CD, and they want the 70s and 80s single versions too. That iTunes collection does not have them all.
    Well I'm not sure which ones aren't included, but if you think about it, this type of collection would be for a true Stevie Wonder or Motown fan, and chances are they probably already have those 70's and 80s single versions in traditional format/cd. And a 37 disc Stevie Wonder collection would be way more expensive than what it's currently selling for. You have to admit its a pretty kick-ass collection.

spinners lost & found or a full anthology
    gladys knight lost & found
    stevies 70's unreleased demos [[with ruffin on vocal?? )

I would love to hear a Gladys Knight and The Pips from their final days at Motown ~~I have the rare and unreleased from the younger days already. When they were about to exit Motown they were cooking.

The "Lets See If Diana Ross Can Make It On Her Own" CD - I know Berry Taped it.

and eventhough I hear its coming~~~~"In Full Bloom" by The Marvelettes.

Well I'm not sure which ones aren't included, but if you think about it, this type of collection would be for a true Stevie Wonder or Motown fan, and chances are they probably already have those 70's and 80s single versions in traditional format/cd. And a 37 disc Stevie Wonder collection would be way more expensive than what it's currently selling for. You have to admit its a pretty kick-ass collection.
    No, the singles aren't all available anywhere.

My interest is only for the singles, not the albums. I have the albums I need on CD.

RossHolloway Guest
    No, the singles aren't all available anywhere.

My interest is only for the singles, not the albums. I have the albums I need on CD.
    What singles in particular are you looking for? That collection is pretty extensive, and I can't imagine that they left anything out. And I find it hard to imagine that one of Stevie's past Greatest Hits or Anthologies or Box Set doesn't contain the singles that you are looking for.

1 - Jean Terrell and the Supremes - Lost & Found
    2 - Gladys Knight & The Pips - Lost & Found
    [[The 2 best female singers on Motown...ever. They could sing the phone book and it would rock my world. I'd vote for Levi Stubbs and David Ruffin for best male)

3 - 12A & 12B the complete singles

PS. I'd also love unedited versions of live Supremes shows [[Diana and Jean) audio AND video.

The late, lammented YVONNE FAIR must have some tracks in the vault crying to get out. Surely an albums worth, considering the time she was under contract...Paulo xxx

What singles in particular are you looking for? That collection is pretty extensive, and I can't imagine that they left anything out. And I find it hard to imagine that one of Stevie's past Greatest Hits or Anthologies or Box Set doesn't contain the singles that you are looking for.
    Obviously, you're thinking only of the 60s mono singles. Well, i'm thinking of the 70s and 80s singles. That collection on iTunes is lacking, and there are no CDs I am aware of that contain:

Superwoman [[Where were You When I Needed You) [[45 was edited0
    Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing [[the 45 was edited)
    Boogie On reggae Woman [[the 45 was edited)
    Another Star [[the 45 was edited)
    Did I hear You Say You Love Me
    Love Light In Flight [[45 was edited)

Sure, I can recreate the 45 versions with an audio editor, but the point is that they are not on CD or any other digital format. Stevie Wonder needs a comprehensive singles collection. None of his comps have all of the charted singles.

Even Rick James needs a good singles collection. That Definitive Collection that came out a few years ago does not contain the correct single edits, nor does it contain all of the singles.

Scherrie and Susaye's "Partners".
    "Mary Wilson: The Motown Collection" to include her solo debut and 4 Gus tracks.

And now I'm really dreaming, but......

How about a limited edition boxed set of the Supremes 12 #1 singles on 45 vinyl, with picture sleeves?

RossHolloway Guest
    Obviously, you're thinking only of the 60s mono singles. Well, i'm thinking of the 70s and 80s singles. That collection on iTunes is lacking, and there are no CDs I am aware of that contain:

Superwoman [[Where were You When I Needed You) [[45 was edited0
    Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing [[the 45 was edited)
    Boogie On reggae Woman [[the 45 was edited)
    Another Star [[the 45 was edited)
    Did I hear You Say You Love Me
    Love Light In Flight [[45 was edited)

Sure, I can recreate the 45 versions with an audio editor, but the point is that they are not on CD or any other digital format. Stevie Wonder needs a comprehensive singles collection. None of his comps have all of the charted singles.

Even Rick James needs a good singles collection. That Definitive Collection that came out a few years ago does not contain the correct single edits, nor does it contain all of the singles.
    Well apparently Mr. Wonder does not want you or the public at large to have these 45 edits lol. I went and looked at the I-Tunes collection and all his Greatest Hits collection and his box set At the Close of the Century and you are correct. Those songs do not exist any where that I can see. When cds first came out and Motown issued the two disc Anthology sets on some of the artists did they do one on Stevie Wonder? I don't ever recall seeing one like they had for the Four Tops, The Supremes, Diana Ross, The Temptations... What an interesting mystery. The only song I saw an edit for was Boggie On, there is a 4:11 version on The Definite Collection.

I'll go with:

1.) Complete Motown Singles 12A and 12B
    2.) The Four Tops - The ABC/Dunhill Albums [[not technically Motown, but owned by UMe)
    3.) The Funk Brothers [[the two Earl Van Dyke records / whatever songs they may have in the vault / live material)

honest man Guest
    1 jj barnes 2 fantastic 4 3 spinners.

A GREAT THREAD! Hopefully Harry, Andy and George are seeing this!

1. The Supremes: BROADWAY MEMORIES
    A multi-CD set focused on classic broadway music
    Included: [[1) The soundtrack of G.I.T. on Broadway including previously unreleased performances from the show; [[2) The Supremes Sing and Perform Funny Girl; [[3) a collection of Broadway showstoppers released by The Supremes on various albums [[examples: The Sound of Music, If I Ruled the World, Aquarius, etc.); and [[4) alternate version of some of the released tracks.

2. The 70s Supremes: LOST AND FOUND
    Included: [[1) Many unreleased JMC tracks are known to fans; [[2) a few more alternate versions from both JMC and MSS; and, [[3) live performances. [Note: This would close out the fans' often stated desire to have "all" of the 70s material.]

3. Diana Ross: LOST AND FOUND
    No comment needed ... isn't it obvious? :-)

I'm on board for any releases that involves the the early 70s. I know some of you night not consider it the Motown sound, but the Funk Brothers were really throwing down by 1969.

Anthing that involves Henry "Hank" Cosby

[B]Well apparently Mr. Wonder does not want you or the public at large to have these 45 edits lol.
    Well, we actually don't know if it's because Stevie doesn't want them out, or the compilers just don't consider them. Either way, i'll keep talking about it until I see some results.

I have a huge list that I would like, but to limit it to three I would say:

1. 70s Junior Walker albums
    2. 70s Miracles albums [[especially Pocketful of Miracles, One Dozen Roses, Flying High Together and the Billy Griffin led Renaissance)
    3. final Rare Earth albums

Blkfrost

Henry Cosby played an active part in the Jonah Jones albums....

longtimefan
    nice post, looks ace too!give me the name of your decorators

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Blkfrost

Henry Cosby played an active part in the Jonah Jones albums....
    Yes, I noticed that when reading the album covers. I really did not know Jonah Jones music until recently. What a wonderful discovery.

I have one more;
    "Flying High Together' by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles.

Mine would be quite simple and straightforward!

1. Diana Ross: One Woman - The Video Collection to be released on DVD.
    2. Motown 25 to be released on DVD
    3. Diana Ross - the tv special from 1971 to be released on DVD

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I have one more;
    "Flying High Together' by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles.
    That's cos you're a romantic!

Well, sometimes you are!

xx

The Funk Brothers - That Motown Sound/EArl Of Funk + other unreleased tracks such as 'Philly Dog' etc
    Stevie Wonder - Unreleased - the 60's Complete
    Junior Walker - Unreleased - 60's Complete