[REMOVE ADS]

Congratulations to the inductees

Included in this latest offering is forum member and promo man of note and Motown fame, Al Abrams. Way to go Al.

http://www.nilesstar.com/2011/06/02/...-hall-of-fame/

Thank you Ralph -- and thank you for posting this.
    It is an incredible honor to even be in the same class as Diana.
    As many of you already know, Berry Gordy was inducted in 2009 and Holland-Dozier-Holland followed in 2010.
    Talk about being in great company!

WOW! Congratulations Al! This is a quite spectacular honor given the fact that there have been hundreds of World Famous Michiganers that have contributed to our overall Pop Culture and there you are! I am just wiped out thinking it about it. You certainly deserve it.

The Full Article:

Niles natives headed to hall of fame
    Published 7:14am Thursday, June 2, 2011
    Email Print Comments
    The Sixth Generation, a popular 1960s regional band from Niles, finished first in the 2011 e-mail vote for induction into the Michigan Rock and Roll Legends online hall of fame.

Detroit’s Sonny Bono, one-half of the famous duo of Sonny & Cher, finished second. He was closely followed by one of the Motor City’s biggest 80s band, The Romantics.

Rounding out this year’s inductees were two more Detroit natives: Diana Ross as a solo artist, and influential female rocker Suzi Quatro.

This year’s honorary Inductees were Al Abrams, Motown’s director of advertising and public relations in the 60s, and Dave Kalmbach, founder of the Great Lakes Recording Studio in Sparta, Mich. and head of Fenton Records.

The seven inductions bring the total number of Michigan Rock and Roll Legends inductees to 55.

The Sixth Generation was named on the greatest number of ballots with a total of 34.9 percent. The band was followed by Sonny Bono with 29.3 percent; The Romantics at 28.3 percent; Diana Ross with 26.4 percent; and Suzi Quatro at 25.7 percent. As in both the 2009 and 2010 votes, 25 percent was used as the cut-off for induction.

Falling just short of induction was Anita Baker at 24.7 percent. She was followed by Marshall Crenshaw with 24.3 percent; Iggy Pop with 23.3 percent; The Contours at 22.7 percent; Della Reese and Frijid Pink with 21.7 percent; The Spinners at 21.4 percent; Edwin Starr at 20.7 percent; and Barbara Lewis and Cub Koda with 20.4 percent. In all, 264 Michigan artists received at least one vote in the balloting, which concluded at noon Wednesday.

Ten more recordings were also voted in, bringing the total of Legendary Michigan Songs to 60. Niles native Tommy James & The Shondells’ “Hanky Panky” garnered the most votes this year; and the Niles native and his band also placed “I Think We’re Alone Now” and “Mony Mony” in the 2011

top 10. The other songs selected in this year’s balloting were: “Lonely Teardrops” by Jackie Wilson; “Baby Love” by The Supremes; “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell;“Get Ready” by Rare Earth; “Sock It to Me-Baby!” by Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels; “I Wanna Be Your Dog” by The Stooges; and “I Can’t Help Myself” by The Four Tops.

This is way cool......

Thanks Marvin

Marv:
    Thanks -- this is an incredible honor and I proudly share it with all of the talented artists, writers and producers that I was lucky enough to work with at Motown.

We managed to get it into Hype & Sou! in time before it goes off to the printer.
    Cheers,
    Al

Congratulations Mr. Abrams!

Carlo and Paladin:

Many thanks to both of you!
    And Carlo -- I'm Al -- Mr. Abrams was my father.

lol. Ok.

Congratulations to your Dad. Really nice.

uptight Guest
    Nice, Al..! Congratulations.