[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes on the Ed Sullivan Show

Here's a question about something I should know or I should have been able to find by researching. I am not was not successful.

After the Supremes December 1964 debut on the Ed Sullivan Show, when was their next appearance? I am thinking it was in February of 1966 when they performed "My World is Empty Without You." Am I correct?

I pondered this because we all know they were on the show about 16 times. Note, I used the word 'about'. The term 'Supremes' covers the group as Diana, Mary, Florence, the group as DRATS with Cindy, and the group as Mary, Cindy, and Jean.

Looking back, it appears rather odd that after their 1964 appearance, they were not invited or not available back during 1965 as they were 'burning up the charts' and extremely popular. And we know they were on practically every other music variety show in 1965.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Here's a question about something I should know or I should have been able to find by researching. I am not was not successful.

After the Supremes December 1964 debut on the Ed Sullivan Show, when was their next appearance? I am thinking it was in February of 1966 when they performed "My World is Empty Without You." Am I correct?

I pondered this because we all know they were on the show about 16 times. Note, I used the word 'about'. The term 'Supremes' covers the group as Diana, Mary, Florence, the group as DRATS with Cindy, and the group as Mary, Cindy, and Jean.

Looking back, it appears rather odd that after their 1964 appearance, they were not invited or not available back during 1965 as they were 'burning up the charts' and extremely popular. And we know they were on practically every other music variety show in 1965.
    The next performance was You’re Nobody Till Somebody Loves You in the fall of 1965. This was the appearance in which Berry Gordy supposedly chose a standard over Nothing But Heartaches when their set was limited to one song.
    Last edited by JohnnyB; 07-11-2022 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    The next performance was You’re Nobody Till Somebody Loves You in the fall of 1965. This was the appearance in which Berry Gordy supposedly chose a standard over Nothing But Heartaches when their set was limited to one song.
    Thank you so much, Johnny B. By the way, 'Johnny B' was my nickname growing up; now as an adult it's merely John accompanied by my last name...sort of like James Bond.

did Sullivan film all year long or did he too follow the "season" timeline? the girls were on at Christmas time and most pop groups at the time, if they even got on, only would have made 1 or two appearances at most. they were usually viewed as "the latest fad" and so 1x is sufficient because someone else will be hotter in a month or two.

the spring of 65 was consumed with the europe tour and then just a lot of other random tv appearances. Shindig, Hullabaloo, Shivaree, Hollywood Palace, Mike Douglas. meanwhile they're starting to get into a lot of college dates, some nicer clubs and this culminates in the amazing Copa show in July. then more big tv spots like Tonight Show, Dean Martin, big shows at JFK Stadium, Safari Room.

the girls really skyrocketed. sure they were a huge pop deal in fall of 64 and then appeared on Sullivan. but just 7 months later they were onstage at the biggest club in NYC and then by october they were playing Lincoln Center. Less then a year after their first really big tv appearance! it was just incredibly fast and furious.

so it might just be that they exploded into hugeness really right around the end of the 64-65 tv season, Ed was at the Copa and saw how great they were, the show's producers start working with motown to get the group scheduled again and they were able to arrange 10/10, shortly after the start of the 65-66 season.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    This appearance was October 10, 1965. "I Hear A Symphony" was released October 6th. The second song was likely to be "I Hear A Symphony" rather than "Nothing But Heartaches."

Supremes' Ed Sullivan Dates and Performances

12/27/64 - Come See About Me
    10/10/65 - You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves You
    2/20/66 - My World Is Empty Without You / Somewhere
    5/1/66 - Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart / More
    9/25/66 - You Can't Hurry Love / Symphony Medley
    12/4/66 - My Favorite Things / Hits Medley
    5/7/67 - The Happening / Millie/Rose/Mame Medley
    11/19/67 - In and Out of Love / Thou Swell / Medley with The Temptations
    3/24/68 - Forever Came Today / Fats Waller Medley
    5/5/68 - Always / Irving Berlin Medley
    9/29/68 - Love Child / Funny Girl Medley
    1/5/69 - Love Child / I'm Livin' In Shame / I Get A Kick Out Of You
    5/11/69 - The Impossible Dream No Matter What Sign You Are / You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves You
    12/21/69 - Hits Medley / Someday We'll Be Together
    2/15/70 - If My Friends Could See Me Now/Once In A Lifetime/Nothing Can Stop Us Now/Up The Ladder To The Roof
    Last edited by RicanStruction; 07-11-2022 at 10:42 AM.

Some Things You Never was released in late May 68, the girls did the Sullivan show earlier that month to do the Irvin Berlin tribute. too bad they weren't able to return and promote the song.

same with Composer. i show that they did the Tonight Show a couple weeks prior to TC being released but then there are no tv shows or appearances at all.

the Supremes & DRATS TVgraphy [[60's) with pictures, youtube links and songs performed at : http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/index.htm
    ... more than 140 tv shows listed and documented

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Thank you so much, Johnny B. By the way, 'Johnny B' was my nickname growing up; now as an adult it's merely John accompanied by my last name...sort of like James Bond.
    LOL, love it! This was my dad’s nickname also throughout his life!

Quote Originally Posted by RicanStruction View Post
    Supremes' Ed Sullivan Dates and Performances

12/27/64 - Come See About Me
    [F
    ONT=Arial]10/10/65 - You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves You[/FONT]

2/20/66 - My World Is Empty Without You / Somewhere
    5/1/66 - Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart / More
    9/25/66 - You Can't Hurry Love / Symphony Medley
    12/4/66 - My Favorite Things / Hits Medley
    5/7/67 - The Happening / Millie/Rose/Mame Medley
    11/19/67 - In and Out of Love / Thou Swell / Medley with The Temptations
    3/24/68 - Forever Came Today / Fats Waller Medley
    5/5/68 - Always / Irving Berlin Medley
    9/29/68 - Love Child / Funny Girl Medley
    1/5/69 - Love Child / I'm Livin' In Shame / I Get A Kick Out Of You
    5/11/69 - The Impossible Dream No Matter What Sign You Are / You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves You
    12/21/69 - Hits Medley / Someday We'll Be Together
    2/15/70 - If My Friends Could See Me Now/Once In A Lifetime/Nothing Can Stop Us Now/Up The Ladder To The Roof
    Thank you for this, RicanStruction