Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
very solid point there - D and F seemed to have an idea of comedy and of delivering lines. in every Flip Wilson skit, you can see that mary can't even begin to hold it together. and in interviews, mary doesn't seem to have the elocution that Diana did. we do know that diana worked and practiced this, endlessly. as for the other women, i'm not sure what they had. but the girls were definitely not actors. I'm not sure if they could have even handled taking over a variety show like Donny & Marie or the Captain and Tennille. with Diana, since she had really really worked at this and Berry had her [[and only her) handling the interactions on shows like Hollywood Palace, you might have been able to do it. but it would have been a strain.

i've even joked that having the Supremes on something like the Love Boat would have been fun. not sure how well it ever would have worked but something to laugh and think about. or other tv show guest appearances.
To your point, Mary was almost always TOO cheesy when hearing or delivering a comedic line. On "Flip" and the "Smokey Special", Mary is all too exaggerated.