[REMOVE ADS]

Watch Diana Ross Perform ‘Upside Down’ Live at Glastonbury

Official BBC clip from Diana's poorly attended and badly received [[well, according to 3-4 people ...) Glastonbury appearance.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...nbury-1382185/

Good find PNH! I like Diana's performance of her classic "Upside Down" at Glastonbury [and it looks like she's got the crowd eating out of her hand]. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Official BBC clip from Diana's poorly attended and badly received [[well, according to 3-4 people ...) Glastonbury appearance.

Glastonbury is sold out months in advance, so nobody at any point said or inferred the concert was not well attended. Thats’s utterly ridiculous.
    As regards this performance, a little auto-tuning goes a long way. I actually met up with some friends last week who did attend Glastonbury. They told me it was the worst she has ever sounded. Though some were complaining, it didn’t particularly matter as most of the crowd were tanked up and in high party spirits.
    I myself went to see her at Longleat, where again she was clearly having problems with her vocals. The backing singers were having to work overtime in trying to compensate.
    I’m assuming this was the result of just to many performances in such a short period of time.
    I love Diana, but think it important to keep things real.

This is friggin amazing

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post

maybe there are two Glastonbury’s. The one in the article below was a few weeks ago every article I’ve read stated they were amazed at the size of the crowd and that it may be a record. It was badly received by some, but lovingly received by many. It certainly wasn’t her finest moment by any means, but to describe it as poorly attended and fully received, seems a little harsh considering the article below. She also drew a record television audience…… Just saying but the folks who didn’t like it of course must’ve been disappointed that they went to all the travel to squeeze into that record or near record crowd for a concert they didn’t care for. I wish she had taken a week off before that gig.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/...crowd-27331575

The huge attendance at the concert and energized loud crowd required an enhanced audio system which seems lacking.
    Diana Ross' singing voice was in fine form. Those hands and arms rocking and the loud applause were awesome.The naysayers need to balance their opinions in relation to the concert's audio system.
    Everyone seemed to be energized to:
    "Have Fun Again"!
    Last edited by TNSUN; 07-14-2022 at 06:25 AM.

Sure is great news, and interesting as well, that Diana had the most-watched set. I would have bet that Paul M would have won that particular race!

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    The huge attendance at the concert and energized loud crowd required an enhanced audio system which seems lacking.
    Diana Ross' singing voice was in fine form. Those hands and arms rocking and the loud applause were awesome.The naysayers need to balance their opinions in relation to the concert's audio system.
    "Have Fun Again"!
    Agreed all around. And I continue to applaud Diana for singing live [[instead of lip-synching to a digitally enhanced vocal as did Dolly P, who was 10 full years younger when she did her gig there).

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    "Have Fun Again"!
    Being a huge fan, i’m absolutely delighted that she drew such a massive audience. It’s just a shame that sizeable audience didn’t get to see her in better form.
    I went to see her a week after Glastonbury, and her voice sounded just as strained, flat and off key as at that famed venue. People in the crowd could be heard discussing it, with the backing singers left to do most of the actual singing.
    As at Glastonbury, the fault lay not in the the sound system but her overworked voice.
    If You Tube is to be believed that voice has now recovered somewhat, with her now sounding a whole lot better.

Was this performance of Upside Down shown live on the BBC? Are the vocals from the live performance the same as the ones presented here? I find it odd that there are very few shots of Diana Ross in the clip here. Was the live performance the same with a focus on the crowd rather than the stage?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Was this performance of Upside Down shown live on the BBC? Are the vocals from the live performance the same as the ones presented here? I find it odd that there are very few shots of Diana Ross in the clip here. Was the live performance the same with a focus on the crowd rather than the stage?
    I’m not certain, but being a song you don’t have to stretch for notes on i do remember it sounding less shocking.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 07-15-2022 at 05:08 AM.

On a sidenote Upside Down has always been a song that never impressed me much when performed live. Her band never seemed be able to catch the rhytmic tightness and the stop-and-start feeling of the original CHIC recording.

Quote Originally Posted by soren1974 View Post
    On a sidenote Upside Down has always been a song that never impressed me much when performed live. Her band never seemed be able to catch the rhytmic tightness and the stop-and-start feeling of the original CHIC recording.
    My favourite version for capturing the original vibe of the song has to be her funky and exciting duet with Jamiroquai. Not sure who’s band it was.