[REMOVE ADS]

New Stax releases

JOHNNIE TAYLOR — TAYLORED IN SILK

Taylored in Silk was Johnnie Taylor's ["The Philosopher of Soul"] best pure soul release; he was in peak form as a vocalist, and received superb productions, arrangements, compositions and musical backing from the Stax brain trust. The album includes the hits "We're Getting Careless with Our Love" and "Cheaper to Keep Her." Newly remastered with SIX BONUS TRACKS.

BOOKER T. & THE MGs — McLEMORE AVENUE

One of Stax Records' most unique and fascinating releases from their extensive Soul catalog, Booker T & The MGs' McLemore Avenue features instrumental covers of songs from The Beatles' Abbey Road album [[released only months earlier in September '69).McLemore is the street housing the famed Stax studio in Memphis TN. Truly a curio for Booker T. and Beatles fans alike, McLemore Avenue has now been re-issued with 7 BONUS TRACKS!

THE STAPLE SINGERS — BE ALTITUDE: RESPECT YOURSELF

An excellent balance of gospel and soul - the essence of the Staple Singers - 197'2s Be Altitude: Respect Yourself contains three Top 10 hits; "Respect Yourself," "I'll Take You There," and "This World." The first two were also Pop Top 20 hits, with "I'll Take You There" going all the way to number one. Newly reissued, Be Altitude now contains two previously unreleased tracks!

I don't buy Cd's with 10 12 & 14 tracks on unless all or most of the materal is new to me, as I have the two namely Johnnie T & Staples I would have been interested in, the miserly amount of bonus material does not make them a worthwhile purchase. If they had added Johnnie Taylor's best Stax album "Super Taylor" with bonus tracks to the mix, they would have had a sale.

That's what they call "purchasing power".

I remember when CD's were the new big thing.....not breakable, not scratchable and capable of holding up to 75 minutes of music. Fab I thought....at the time!

On a slightly related note, I just copped the 3CD deluxe edition of Wattstax for the low price of.....drum roll please......$5.99
    Brand new and still sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by mr soul View Post
    I don't buy Cd's with 10 12 & 14 tracks on unless all or most of the materal is new to me, as I have the two namely Johnnie T & Staples I would have been interested in, the miserly amount of bonus material does not make them a worthwhile purchase. If they had added Johnnie Taylor's best Stax album "Super Taylor" with bonus tracks to the mix, they would have had a sale.
    Agreed. I'm more likely to spend my money on the "two classic albums on
    one CD" format.

Another JT album they could have included is the completely forgotten, never to CD, REFLECTIONS.

Timmyfunk...I also bought the Wattstax 3cd at a very good price recently, it kinda puts thinks into perspective doesn't it, there are plenty of bargains out there, so why shell out money on something that is such poor value, that they should skip past the pre-orders & straight to the bargain bin do not pass go or collect my hard earned cash. Concord are you listening, 'cause judging by your previous Stax releases you don't appear to be taking much notice, you have one of the best back catalogues there is & you don't appear to be able to market them. I buy Cd's like they are going out of fashion [oh they are] well anyway, since you took over Stax you've managed to sell me 2Cd's & I bought that for the hologram Stax fingerclick, nice 50 page booklet & 50 tracks [not 36 tracks stretched over 3 CD's].

Quote Originally Posted by mr soul View Post
    Timmyfunk...I also bought the Wattstax 3cd at a very good price recently, it kinda puts thinks into perspective doesn't it, there are plenty of bargains out there, so why shell out money on something that is such poor value, that they should skip past the pre-orders & straight to the bargain bin do not pass go or collect my hard earned cash. Concord are you listening, 'cause judging by your previous Stax releases you don't appear to be taking much notice, you have one of the best back catalogues there is & you don't appear to be able to market them. I buy Cd's like they are going out of fashion [oh they are] well anyway, since you took over Stax you've managed to sell me 2Cd's & I bought that for the hologram Stax fingerclick, nice 50 page booklet & 50 tracks [not 36 tracks stretched over 3 CD's].
    That recent purchase came straight out of left field. For those who live in the Northeast, FYE is a mall type record store with overblown prices. That's what made this discovery such a surprise. I will be grooving on it tonight.

There were 2 FYE stores in my area ,Bx N.Y. The one closest to my house went out of business and had MONSTER sales from SEPT of 2010 to just after New Years. I copped Mandrill's Anthology ,D.R.& S. Lost and Found, SYREETA's HipO CD , Betty Davis CD ,Otis Redding's 3 album RHINO Box and 2 of Diana Ross expanded HIP-O CD's at $15 and under. Seems like FYE is going thru some changes. Even BMG/Your music is closing down the on-line store.