[REMOVE ADS]

The Marvin Gaye Collection booklet from original CD release

In 1990 saw the 4 CD release of the Marvin Gaye Collection was released, they had prepared an EXCELLENT 30 page booklet to accompany the set. The book was truly unique. It measured 11" x 11". It began with a Portrait Of An Artist by David Ritz that included 12 pages and 13 historical pictures including a great photo of Harvey and the Moonglows. Next were 3 pages Vol. 1 20 Top 20's; 3 pages Vol. 2 The Duets that included pictures of his 5 duet partners; 3 pages Vol. 3 Rare, Live, and Unreleased; 2 pages Vol. 4 The Balladeer. The final 3 pages showed pictures of all 45 of his vinyl albums data including the date it was released and every song included in the album.

This booklet was a George Solomon production.

Does anyone know of ANY OTHER booklets produced in this fashion? It is really a great collectors item and a good look at the legacy of Marvin Gaye.

It conclude with seven selections from the Unrelease LP, Vulnerable under license from CBS Special Products.

Truly a great publication in it's own right.

Not Motown but a similar book was produced for THE OTIS REDDING STORY vinyl boxed set from the late 80s.

I wish they would release a compact version this set and also "The Motortown Revue Collection" with additions.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    I wish they would release a compact version this set and also "The Motortown Revue Collection" with additions.

'would release a compact version this set' are you talking about the MG set? if so they did or are you menaing Otis?

Not Motown:

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    'would release a compact version this set' are you talking about the MG set? if so they did or are you menaing Otis?
    I took it to mean the Marvin Gaye Collection as it's outsized being as big as a 12 inch album rather than CD sized. The booklet would also have to be re-sized to fit.

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 03-24-2024 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    For both Marvin and the Motortown set as they are both 12inches tall and are too cumbersome. The Motortown set also has updates.

These LP sized booklets mostly date from the early days of CD box sets. Sometimes even a large size box would be used simply to house 2 CDs. This was part of the effort, which was hugely successful, to get buyers to replace the LPs they owned with the CD versions. As the years went by, the booklets often shrank, to where you might open an LP-sized CD box set, only to find the booklet was the same one which would have been issued in a regular CD "fat box" or other standard size.

A couple times I bought a vinyl version of a CD boxed set I already owned, hoping to acquire an LP-sized booklet, and then was disappointed when I discovered it only contained a miniature-sized booklet! This happened with the LP version of the complete [[3 CDs' worth) musical "Show Boat," and also happened with the Atlantic "cabaret" box set, which I think was perhaps 5 or 6 LPs [[I forget the name of the box, but it included lots of great Atlantic singers such as Bobby Short, Mabel Mercer, Mel Torme and other performers including pianists and more. So I ended up with the vinyl version of the set but with the same mini booklet!