[REMOVE ADS]

RIP Gil-Scott Heron

According to update on twitter, It been reported that Gil-scott heron has passed away

All the reports [[there are a lot of them out there) are all based on the same single Twitter report. I can't find any independent confirmation. Anyone got any better source?

What a shocker. And it appears to be true. So sad. Such a talented man. Rest in peace.

"Home Is Where The Hatred Is" "In The Bottle" "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" all masterpieces.
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 05-28-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: masterpieces line

The Daily Swarm: Jamie Byng, Gil Scott-Heron’s publisher in the UK, has tweeted that the poet and songwriter passed away today.

"Just heard the very sad news that my dear friend and one of the most inspiring people I’ve ever met, the great Gil Scott-Heron, died today.

Gil Scott-Heron’s death is NOT a rumour. I just called by Dorothy who is staying with Aunt Mimi in NY to tell me the news. I’m so sad".

sad to hear this.. especially as he was having a major career resurgence lately. the accolades for his album last year were well-deserved. at least he was able to have that final triumph.. RIP.

Last edited by Doug-Morgan; 05-27-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Sad loss...I always enjoyed his music. RIP, Gil, and thank you...

Best,

Mark

A very sad sad loss. I just heard the other day ,"The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" , while watching [[for the first time) The Rubin Carter movie with Denzel. I had not listened to that track in years ,yet hearing it brought me back in time to that period ,just for a few seconds. I remember I said to myself ,"damn ,that's a Bad Mother , even 35-40 years later. I am so used to playing the other Gill Scott masterpiece ,"The Bottle" ,and I wound up playing Revolution just last night. A "classic" [[for lack of a better word) ,recording .

Rest In Peace my brother Gill Scott Heron.

This is too depressing for words. I have all of his albums and I've seen him live and have met him many times. He is easily in my all time top five artist list. Damn!

Damn...
    I too have a bunch of Gil's stuff and have had the pleasure of meeting him a few times.
    He was like our big brother or uncle always pointing out the stones in our pathway even the ones he himself may have stumbled over and we loved him with all of our hearts.
    I will miss him as he did Lady Day and John Coltrane to paraphrase one of his pieces.
    And celebrate his legacy. RIP, Gil...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWitRABYVBk

I bought Gil's "Pieces Of A Man" album in 1972 & have been hooked on his music, lyrics & vocals ever since, I saw him in concert several times & was fortunate enough to meet him the last time, a consummate artist who, like all the greats had the audience in the palm of his hands & will be sadly missed by many.

My condolences to family & friends

Gil Scott Heron R.I.P.

Another voice of reason gone RIP.......

Im sorry to hear that one of our greatest poets is gone. The Revolution will not be the same without him.

A sad loss indeed. Will be playing Revolution, Bottle and What's The Word is his memory

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110528/...il_scott_heron

Felix Hernandez on wbgo.org 's Rhythm Revue program has been featuring Gil's music since this morning playing a lot of
    things many may never heard like his cover of Bill Wither's Grandma's Hands. Excellent tribute by Felix...

RIP:

Went to school with Gil @ Lincoln University Pa along with the midnight band; Brian, Danny Bowen, Gilberto, Bobby Adams, etc. We watched his music evolve. He was also very envolved with school politics and the politics of the times. He was also a Jazz DJ on the school radio station. Hanging out with him in the DJ booth so much eventually led to me getting a Jazz DJ slot from 10pm to 2am. He was also a good basketball player, we both tried out for the team. Man: Those were good times.
    A legend to be missed!!!!!!!! Smitty aka Goomba

Very sad news His poetry/music is part of the soundtrack of my life, as I'm sure it is, as well, for those in my generation [[and beyond). It's a shame, though, that it took his death to bring his music back on local radio airplay [[especially, today)...But, I digress. I pray that his soul and spirit are now at rest.

My good buddy called me this morning with the sad news. We recalled the concert at the Village Gate, people standing on top of the tables singing "What's The Word, Johannsburg" Then he started singing "Pieces of a Man." Thank you Gil for kicking the knowledge and the wisdom. Man, it really feels like Winter in America right now...Rest In Peace Brother!

I got the shocking, surprising and ultimately sad news late Friday in Harlem. I am listening now to hour 3 of the tribute to our Gil Scott Heron on WRQN KISS-FM New York. Although he was a man that had a remarkable talent for the use of words, there are no words that I can come up with at this moment to explain the impact he had on our culture and many of our lives. This is definitely the end of an era!

Strangely for me, it finally feels like the Sixties are now definitely over.....

RIP Gil Scott, God Loves You, We Loved You. Thanks for all the "words".

Marv
    Last edited by marv2; 05-29-2011 at 12:15 PM.

I can't think of anything to say other than we lost a man who was brutally honest, talented and yes... troubled. The world is a better place having had Gil Scott-Heron to tell us the truth.

If we only would listen...

Rest in Peace, Brother.

Only those who really listen to Pieces Of A Man recognize the profound literacy of this extremely well-delivered verbal and musical portrait. Usually we hear stories on the news of men slaughtering members of their own family and most of us understandably see them as some of the most dispicable examples of human satans on earth. Gil makes us understand through that one masterpiece song that even such a perpetrator can be an ultimate victim -pushed past the border of rationality and sanity. Only a smidget of clarity remains to make the pressured, crazed, enraged family man spare his beloved young son, portrayed by Gil the singing narrator. True brilliance and a psychological study in criminology and sociology. Gil was the man... had his demons though. I too had the pleasure of meeting him many years ago while visiting a friend on Lincoln U's campus. She was in his class. It was a privilege. From Pieces Of A Man: "He was always such a good man, he was always such a strong, strong man, yeah I saw him go to pieces, I saw him go to pieces." Sad... Just one example of his brilliance.

Unhappy

My sincerest condolences to his family, friends and fans.
    His music and his words will be remembered.

Earlier today, they broadcast a mermorial service for Gil Scott-Heron on the web. I believe they will reair again later. If so, I will provide the weblink,if anyone is interested.. http://mije.org/richardprince/scott-...treamed-online

Also today at 1:30pm,[[cst) there will be a tribute honoring the music of Gil Scott-Heron. http://whpk.org and iTunes.

gil-scott was da man,his version of[rivers]is a classic,another legend gone...R.I.P.