[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    As regards the original concept for the “Love Child” album, one can only assume Motown panicked, thinking such an album might not be readily accepted by their fans at large. Far better to include a bit of something for everyone, an ethos Diana would adhere to for most of her career. It’s a real shame, as considering the social upheavals America was experiencing during that time frame, a socially relevant themed album would seem a natural. I also think it would have broadened the groups appeal

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    As regards the original concept for the “Love Child” album, one can only assume Motown panicked, thinking such an album might not be readily accepted by their fans at large. Far better to include a bit of something for everyone, an ethos Diana would adhere to for most of her career. It’s a real shame, as considering the social upheavals America was experiencing during that time frame, a socially relevant themed album would seem a natural. I also think it would have broadened the groups appeal
    i agree. your comment actually almost sounds like mary's questioning of the whole SL thing. the company had no issued with a single called Stoned Love but worried about an album of the same name. same - they had no problems issuing a single called Love Child and tackling the issue of unwanted pregnancy but worried about an album containing social relevant music and all?

i don't think every song had to be morose and depressing. that's the point and the challenge for the producer[[s). i think the concept could have held songs like LC, Evening Train, Does Your Mama, Keep an eye, With a child's heart, what becomes of the broken hearted, can't you see it's me.

A song like Friendship Train is celebrating peace and brotherhood. someone could have written or they could have covered a tune like this. exciting, positive yet with a message.

if we ever were to get to a LC EE, it would be interesting to see if there are any other potential tunes that aren't as dark or heavy as LC, Evening Train, Keep an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i agree. your comment actually almost sounds like mary's questioning of the whole SL thing. the company had no issued with a single called Stoned Love but worried about an album of the same name. same - they had no problems issuing a single called Love Child and tackling the issue of unwanted pregnancy but worried about an album containing social relevant music and all?

i don't think every song had to be morose and depressing. that's the point and the challenge for the producer[[s). i think the concept could have held songs like LC, Evening Train, Does Your Mama, Keep an eye, With a child's heart, what becomes of the broken hearted, can't you see it's me.

A song like Friendship Train is celebrating peace and brotherhood. someone could have written or they could have covered a tune like this. exciting, positive yet with a message.

if we ever were to get to a LC EE, it would be interesting to see if there are any other potential tunes that aren't as dark or heavy as LC, Evening Train, Keep an eye.
    Perhaps an alternate version of “You’re Gone[[But Always In My Heart) should have been added to the “L/C” album.

I don’t believe anyone paid any attention whatsoever as to what kind of albums Supremes were putting out. I don’t believe there was even a conscious effort to do a socially conscious album or singles for that matter. Various producers ran across various songs that they would try to sell to various recording groups and if they came up with that track that made its way to the Supremes they would record it and it would go on the pile. I have no idea who sequenced those albums, but it might have been an octopus grabbing a bunch of tapes and throwing them into the box. I do think they listened to the songs and tried to find things that were presentable, not always succeeding in my opinion, but that’s the amount of effort I think was put into them. And then when you had someone like Frank Wilson was going to do an album on the Supremes in Temptations, he relied basically on covers and just hoped for the best. I think it’s sad that they didn’t have a Norman Whitfield, a Marvin Gaye or a Stevie wonder or someone with actual vision to put together a cohesive album that could stand the test of time instead of 50 years plus later people talking about the incongruity of Motown‘s flagship act putting out lukewarm albums.

I think part of the problem is that he had the girls on the road so much that they didn’t have time to take care of their health is the lead singer‘s voice or their emotional stability, so why take time off and actually sit down and record an album that might mean some thing? I think Gordy was too interested in the almighty dollar to see past that. He had to fly out to Boston to check out Diana in person before he would cancel the gig at Blinstraubs. She passed out on stage in front of a packed house and that wasn’t enough for him to cancel a show. Instead, he invested in a plane ticket which he would charge to the group, to see for himself because he had a lot invested in their live performances. I have nothing to back this up, but I would bet my unplayed first pressing I hear a Symphony 45 that he made more money on their gigs than they did.

I don’t really consider country Western and Pop, or Rogers and Hart or Sam Cooke concept albums. Country western Pop is able to at least claim a somewhat cohesive sound, the others are just tribute albums.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I don’t believe anyone paid any attention whatsoever as to what kind of albums Supremes were putting out. I don’t believe there was even a conscious effort to do a socially conscious album or singles for that matter. Various producers ran across various songs that they would try to sell to various recording groups and if they came up with that track that made its way to the Supremes they would record it and it would go on the pile. I have no idea who sequenced those albums, but it might have been an octopus grabbing a bunch of tapes and throwing them into the box. I do think they listened to the songs and tried to find things that were presentable, not always succeeding in my opinion, but that’s the amount of effort I think was put into them. And then when you had someone like Frank Wilson was going to do an album on the Supremes in Temptations, he relied basically on covers and just hoped for the best. I think it’s sad that they didn’t have a Norman Whitfield, a Marvin Gaye or a Stevie wonder or someone with actual vision to put together a cohesive album that could stand the test of time instead of 50 years plus later people talking about the incongruity of Motown‘s flagship act putting out lukewarm albums.

I think part of the problem is that he had the girls on the road so much that they didn’t have time to take care of their health is the lead singer‘s voice or their emotional stability, so why take time off and actually sit down and record an album that might mean some thing? I think Gordy was too interested in the almighty dollar to see past that. He had to fly out to Boston to check out Diana in person before he would cancel the gig at Blinstraubs. She passed out on stage in front of a packed house and that wasn’t enough for him to cancel a show. Instead, he invested in a plane ticket which he would charge to the group, to see for himself because he had a lot invested in their live performances. I have nothing to back this up, but I would bet my unplayed first pressing I hear a Symphony 45 that he made more money on their gigs than they did.

I don’t really consider country Western and Pop, or Rogers and Hart or Sam Cooke concept albums. Country western Pop is able to at least claim a somewhat cohesive sound, the others are just tribute albums.
    This is a really good post. As you point out, the groups touring schedule was so prolific there really was very little time to to sit down and plan a more socially conscious themed album. The odd song such as “Love Child” was about it, then back on the road if you please.
    Marvin’s “What’s Going On” is another prime example of the BG dismissive attitude to more meaningful, socially themed albums. Also his reluctance when the Jackson Five wanted to start writing and producing there own material.
    It makes me wonder his true feelings on those brilliant Whitfield produced albums on the Tempts, or when Stevie insisted on album control.
    I don’t want to cast to many aspersions on those DRATS albums as they have brought me much pleasure over the years. It’s just a shame more effort wasn’t put into song selection at the time.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 05-22-2022 at 01:57 PM.

This is a really good post. As you point out, the groups touring schedule was so prolific there really was very little time to to sit down and plan a more socially conscious themed album. The odd song such as “Love Child” was about it, then back on the road if you please.
    Marvin’s “What’s Going On” is another prime example of the BG dismissive attitude to more meaningful, socially themed albums. Also his reluctance when the Jackson Five wanted to start writing and producing there own material.
    It makes me wonder his true feelings on those brilliant Whitfield produced albums on the Tempts, or when Stevie insisted on album control.
    I don’t want to cast to many aspersions on those DRATS albums as they have brought me much pleasure over the years. It’s just a shame more effort wasn’t put into song selection at the time.
    but none of the supremes were ever really involved in the development of their recordings. sure by the late 70s, Diana was. and i'm not saying that producers didn't talk with them, get to know them and who/what they are, etc so that they could really find the right material.

Marvin's WGO album was a self-produced piece of art. I wasn't suggesting that DMC sit down, write and compose songs, produce the tracks, etc. The fact that their touring schedule was so crazy frankly should have little impact on whether or not they did a meaningful concept album. maybe i wasn't clear about WHO would be developing the album material. i think the girls would still have been touring but instead of coming into the studio to record Treat Me Nice John Henry [[which i think is truly inane in nearly every sense Lol) they recorded something else prepared for them

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    but none of the supremes were ever really involved in the development of their recordings. sure by the late 70s, Diana was. and i'm not saying that producers didn't talk with them, get to know them and who/what they are, etc so that they could really find the right material.

Marvin's WGO album was a self-produced piece of art. I wasn't suggesting that DMC sit down, write and compose songs, produce the tracks, etc. The fact that their touring schedule was so crazy frankly should have little impact on whether or not they did a meaningful concept album. maybe i wasn't clear about WHO would be developing the album material. i think the girls would still have been touring but instead of coming into the studio to record Treat Me Nice John Henry [[which i think is truly inane in nearly every sense Lol) they recorded something else prepared for them
    I really only mentioned Marvin as regards BG’s general attitude to more socially themed albums. IE, he really wasn’t that interested. I guess if you combine certain songs from “Love Child” and “COTC”, the DRATS already have their own such album.
    I disagree about their touring schedule. Keeping the group constantly on the road kept the money flowing, but surely meant less time and thought was available in planning album concepts or indeed the type of song they were hastily recording to compile such albums.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post

I know Gordy is praised for a lot but I do think he needs to be called out on his abusive treatment towards the Supremes, especially Diana and Flo. In secrets of a sparrow, Diana says she saw Gordy trying to keep her warm after a show on a cold night as him protecting her. I saw it as him protecting his money. I do blame him for the Supremes legacy being in the state it is in. The Supremes put Motown on the map. End rant lol