[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I can understand the concerns being voiced here and in various other recent threads concerning the composition of Ms Ross' setlist, as there are a number of comments from fellow superfans stating that her setlist is stale or irrelevant. However, I think to go as far as worry that UK audiences, including the Glastonbury audience, will be upset over the inclusion of a few songs in place of others, is a bit of a stretch. Thus far, she seems to be garnering positive reviews on this tour and is being welcomed with open arms, based on the comments I am seeing on social media. The criticisms from those about her singing "I Will Survive", etc., makes up an extremely small percentage, and some of them are from people who are not currently attending her UK shows. I look forward to seeing the footage from her much anticipated Glastonbury show and I am certain she will be received with almost unanimously positive reviews. I've yet to read any negative press for the shows on this tour, or any reports of booing or people walking out. There has been no clear sense of displeasure, and there won't be. She always puts on a quality show. The only time I recall seeing negative press and social media comments in recent years for a Glastonbury performance was for Janet Jackson, as she had lipsynced her entire set. I know that this won't be the case for Diana.

As for the promotion, I did see someone recently share a photo on social media of a large banner on a bridge in the UK, promoting "Turn Up the Sunshine". It is my understanding that an edited version of the annual Glastonbury performances are usually televised? Hopefully Universal will have purchased some airtime during the program to air a commercial, advertising Diana's Thank You album. While I have doubts that her performance at the festival will boost a significant amount of sales, I'm sure it will at least put Thank You and some other compilations back on the charts for the following week. The state of the music industry is very different now, from even just several years ago. Very few are still selling album units [digital or physical] in the millions, or even in the tens of thousands.

I could be very wrong, but I don't think any artists who have recently released product on the Decca label have received significant promotion for their albums. I think of Dame Shirley Bassey as an example. Her album "I Owe It All To You" came out on Decca toward the end of 2020 and it had very little promotion from the label and from Dame Shirley herself. I think she did one magazine interview and there was a very limited tv spot. That was it. I would assume that some subsidiary labels within the Universal roster are given a bigger promotional budget than others...and I don't think Decca is one of them.
    Last edited by carlo; 06-14-2022 at 05:17 PM.