[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Initially I was going to say that Mary's life story would make the better movie, but Diana's certainly has potential too, if they were to tell it truthfully, warts and all, and get into the challenges and tragedies she's encountered in her life. However, I can't ever see that happening. If there's any chance of it ever happening, they would have to make it into a mini-series, as it's impossible to properly tell one's life story in an engaging way, within a two hour film. For instance, the Aretha movie with Jennifer Hudson felt so superficial to me. The Genius mini series with Cynthia Ervio did a better job, despite some dialogue feeling cheesy and shoe-horned at times.

This reminds me...I remember in the early 2000's that Mary had filmed interview segments for her own Biography episode by A&E. I wonder if that episode was ever completed? I remember it was confirmed and then axed at the final hour. It would be interesting to see, if it was completed. I think I remember reading that her interview segments that were shown in the Diana Ross E True Hollywood Story were originally from her cancelled Biography episode.
    Last edited by carlo; 05-08-2022 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post

This reminds me...I remember in the early 2000's that Mary had filmed interview segments for her own Biography episode by A&E. I wonder if that episode was ever completed? I remember it was confirmed and then axed at the final hour. It would be interesting to see, if it was completed. I think I remember reading that her interview segments that were shown in the Diana Ross E True Hollywood Story were originally from her cancelled Biography episode.
    I did not know this, thanks for the info Carlo! I wonder why the episode was cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I did not know this, thanks for the info Carlo! I wonder why the episode was cancelled?
    I wonder if it had anything to do with song clearances. I remember an A&E Biography on Marvin Gaye that used basically none of his Motown-era stuff. They would just mention the titles of his hits and there would be some soundalike material in the background. Considering a Mary biography would delve into the sad side of the Supremes, I wouldn't be surprised if Jobete wouldn't allow their use.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I wonder if it had anything to do with song clearances. I remember an A&E Biography on Marvin Gaye that used basically none of his Motown-era stuff. They would just mention the titles of his hits and there would be some soundalike material in the background. Considering a Mary biography would delve into the sad side of the Supremes, I wouldn't be surprised if Jobete wouldn't allow their use.
    I have that episode on a VHS tape somewhere. I remember the generic music. I've heard it done that way in quite a few retrospective shows such as Biography. Good theory Reese, but it seems like such a silly reason to cancel the episode. With all the work that surely went into it [[or did it only get as far as Mary's interviews), why cancel over music rights? Surely live footage [[like Ed Sullivan, etc) are a good work around, I would think. And certainly the story could be told without using the music. Always seemed like Mary was drawing the short end of the stick in regards to exposure, at times.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I have that episode on a VHS tape somewhere. I remember the generic music. I've heard it done that way in quite a few retrospective shows such as Biography. Good theory Reese, but it seems like such a silly reason to cancel the episode. With all the work that surely went into it [[or did it only get as far as Mary's interviews), why cancel over music rights? Surely live footage [[like Ed Sullivan, etc) are a good work around, I would think. And certainly the story could be told without using the music. Always seemed like Mary was drawing the short end of the stick in regards to exposure, at times.
    It probably depends on the circumstances but I don't think using a television clip lets you evade clearance. When the Ronettes were profiled as one of the 100 Greatest Women in Rock and Roll, VH1 had to use a Hullabaloo clip of them singing SILHOUETTES instead of one of their own hits because Phil Spector wouldn't allow his compositions to be used. I wouldn't be surprised if Jobete did the same at times if they didn't approve of a project.
    Last edited by reese; 05-09-2022 at 05:31 PM.

It probably depends on the circumstances but I don't think using a television clip lets you evade clearance. When the Ronettes were profiled as one of the 100 Greatest Women in Rock and Roll, VH1 had to use a Hullabaloo clip of them singing SILHOUETTES instead of one of their own hits because Phil Spector wouldn't allow his compositions to be used. I wouldn't be surprised if Jobete did the same at times if they didn't approve of a project.
    Oh okay, well that makes sense. I was thinking that a live version of a song, like the Supremes performing "Where" on TAMI wouldn't need clearance like the studio recording because the publishers wouldn't own the rights to the live performance.

This would make sense, Reese...as I don't seem to remember Diana's E True Hollywood Story special having any Supremes or Diana solo recordings in it either.

I think if done correctly in the same style as Ken Burns’ documentaries, a Supremes documentary could be compelling and finally give the group the recognition they deserve. I had tried several times to pitch the idea to American Masters on PBS but never heard back. I do think the approval of song clearance is the major issue as Gordy won’t allow a Supremes film/series/documentary to happen. The thing is that it has to be done in a way where Mary, Flo & Cindy are not painted as the victims and Diana & Berry are not painted as the villains. There’s a way to tell truth without sugarcoating the facts and reality. I do think this can happen, but it needs the right director, writer, producer, and team to accurately and faithfully do it.

And I saw a "musical" called MY BROTHER MARVIN written by Marvin Gaye's sister. It had none of Marvin's music. Zeola Gaye was not allowed to use any of his music, so she padded the play by using other artist's music of the era. The book was strong and I think it would have been better presented as a play without any music since Marvin's music could not be used. I guess it was Jobette that denied the use of his music

“My Brother Marvin,” is not a musical, it’s a drama. None of Marvin’s music is in the play. I tried to license it but could not get it. But there is music in the play.
    .................................................. ....................... Zeola Gaye

https://www.caribbeanlife.com/my-bro...eacon-theatre/