Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
it was common practice for people to record a zillion covers and include on an album. i think the issue starts when you release a single or it becomes a centerpiece in your act.

yes the Sups recorded lots of covers but they typically were only album filler. Im Gonna Make You Love Me is a clear exception and apparently Madeline Bell was NOT pleases as her version was only released a few months prior.

I think it was less of an issue with Someday since 1) it had been released years prior 2) had no significant public knowledge or impact and 3) the writer was now the one doing the new version.

Same with Composer - it was a motown song so not as big of a deal. Although it was a deal for Grapevine and GKATP. I wonder if Marvin had any major concerns about Diana's cover of Mountain. it does almost seem like the two Mountains are just entirely different songs and only share a title. maybe if Tammi had lived, it might have been an issue as they would have possibly toured, it was her first big hit, etc.
Who cares if Madeline Bell was pleased or not? She released it as a single she got her chance to work it. Deedy Warwick recorded it before her and did a better job. Gladys wasn’t thrilled with Marvin doing Grapevine even though he recorded at first she tells it differently right now. None of these have anything to do with love hangover, it was not a cover it was a copy snuck out before the original artist had a chance to do it. There were dozens of covers of Aquarius 1969 and hundreds and hundreds more in the ensuing years. No one tried to release their version before the fifth dimension had a chance to get a platinum single and six weeks at number one.