[REMOVE ADS]

March 16 in history :)

going through my Sup Itinerary and here are some notable things happening on March 16 through the years

3/16/65 - everyone is flying to Europe for that first Motown Revue!

3/16/66 - last night for the '66 Copa run, their second appearance at the club

3/16/76 - Walking is released

Sorry to say that but the first two dates are wrong. I have done extensive researches to check all the information found in books and booklet of cds [[the result in the Timeline of my website at http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/ ).

- the group landed in London [[from Detroit via New York) on March 15, 1965.
    - the 1966 Copa engagement was not from March 3 to 16 even though it's written so in Mary's book and in the booklet of the expanded edition of I Hear A Symphony. the correct dates are February 17 to March 2.

Extract of my website :

Feb 17-March 2

Engagement at the Copacabana in New York, NY,
    This is according to KRLA Beat [[January 15, 1966 and February 26, 1966 issues). Both issues give February 17- March 2 for engagement dates, but the January 29, 1966 issue gives February 18 to March 3. The Philadelphia Daily News [[February 14, 1966 issue) and Billboard [[February 26, 1966 issue) announce the beginning of the engagement on February 17. Billboard gives a review of the opening night, and the Detroit Free Press [[February 18, 1966 issue) announces the opening erroneously on February 21) [[see also March 3-16 and March 17-23).
    The Supremes perform “Make Someone Happy”, “Let There Be Love”, “Baby Love”, “Stop In The Name Of Love”, “Come See About Me”, “More”, “Boy From Ipanema”, “People”, “Somewhere”, “Fancy Passes”. The premiere is attended by Nancy Sinatra and Edie Adams

March 3-16

Erroneous dates for the Supremes’ engagement at the Copacabana in New York [[in Mary Wilson’s “Dreamgirl” and in the booklet of “I Hear A Symphony Expanded”). This engagement is actually first announced with those erroneous dates in an article by Mary Campbell published in many newspapers [[the Tennessean, November 7, 1965 issue; the Ashbury Park Press, NJ, November 09, 1965 issue; the Ada Evening News, OK, November 11, 1965 issue, the Tucson Daily Citizen, January 8, 1966 issue…) which contains other erroneous information [[it announces a Vietnam tour from January 6 to 22 [[1966) which was actually cancelled and happened to be mostly a Japan/Asian tour that occurred only in September 1966…). Moreover, an article in Time magazine [[March 4, 1966 issue) writes apropos the Copa: “Last week…” which also proves the Copa engagement begun before March 3 [[see also February 17-March 2 & March 17-23).

March 17-23

Erroneous dates for the Supremes’ engagement at the Copacabana in New York in Taraborrelli’s “An Unauthorized Biography” [[p. 139) and Ribowsky "The Supremes A Saga..." [[p. 241). [[see also February 17-March 2 & March 3-16).
    Last edited by Laurent; 03-16-2022 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Sorry to say that but the first two dates are wrong. I have done extensive researches to check all the information found in books and booklet of cds [[the result in the Timeline of my website at http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/ ).

- the group landed in London [[from Detroit via New York) on March 15, 1965.
    - the 1966 Copa engagement was not from March 3 to 16 even though it's written so in Mary's book and in the booklet of the expanded edition of I Hear A Symphony. the correct dates are February 17 to March 2.

Extract of my website :

Feb 17-March 2

Engagement at the Copacabana in New York, NY,
    This is according to KRLA Beat [[January 15, 1966 and February 26, 1966 issues). Both issues give February 17- March 2 for engagement dates, but the January 29, 1966 issue gives February 18 to March 3. The Philadelphia Daily News [[February 14, 1966 issue) and Billboard [[February 26, 1966 issue) announce the beginning of the engagement on February 17. Billboard gives a review of the opening night, and the Detroit Free Press [[February 18, 1966 issue) announces the opening erroneously on February 21) [[see also March 3-16 and March 17-23).
    The Supremes perform “Make Someone Happy”, “Let There Be Love”, “Baby Love”, “Stop In The Name Of Love”, “Come See About Me”, “More”, “Boy From Ipanema”, “People”, “Somewhere”, “Fancy Passes”. The premiere is attended by Nancy Sinatra and Edie Adams

March 3-16

Erroneous dates for the Supremes’ engagement at the Copacabana in New York [[in Mary Wilson’s “Dreamgirl” and in the booklet of “I Hear A Symphony Expanded”). This engagement is actually first announced with those erroneous dates in an article by Mary Campbell published in many newspapers [[the Tennessean, November 7, 1965 issue; the Ashbury Park Press, NJ, November 09, 1965 issue; the Ada Evening News, OK, November 11, 1965 issue, the Tucson Daily Citizen, January 8, 1966 issue…) which contains other erroneous information [[it announces a Vietnam tour from January 6 to 22 [[1966) which was actually cancelled and happened to be mostly a Japan/Asian tour that occurred only in September 1966…). Moreover, an article in Time magazine [[March 4, 1966 issue) writes apropos the Copa: “Last week…” which also proves the Copa engagement begun before March 3 [[see also February 17-March 2 & March 17-23).

March 17-23

Erroneous dates for the Supremes’ engagement at the Copacabana in New York in Taraborrelli’s “An Unauthorized Biography” [[p. 139) and Ribowsky "The Supremes A Saga..." [[p. 241). [[see also February 17-March 2 & March 3-16).
    thanks!!! i've update my excel timeline.

interesting that they did Let There Be Love. we have the recording of this from the Roostertail in Sept 66 but didn't realize they were using it as early as Feb. Fancy Passes is interesting too since they did it on Sammy - wonder if they were still considering the release of the There's a Place For Us album at this time [[which would have included it). Wonder if they were trying out Fancy Passes in place of Queen of the House? their "comedy" song?

the set probably also included [[guessing here):

Put on a happy face
    sam cooke medley
    I hear a symphony
    Back in my arms again
    You're nobody

wonder when they added these:
    Symphony medley
    More
    yesterday
    Michelle