[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: UK gets Mary

UK gets Mary

Unbelievably I walked into HMV today [[UK’s version of Sam Goody, Tower Records etc) to see “Mary Wilson The Motown Anthology” on the shelf at GBP 12.99 [[USD 16.94)! Have listened to it – as you fellow posters have said it was WELL worth the wait. So moving to hear how many wonderful recordings Mary had made. Now you all know what my kitchen disco will be playing for days to come. One strange question for fellow Brits buying it: I opened it immediately in a nearby bar and had to return it right away as the cover of the booklet had been torn off and placed apart in the digipak. The replacement was exactly the same. I’m intrigued to know if this is a general occurrence. Really weird. But nothing can stop me enjoying this truly amazing CD. Unlimited thanks to Universal, Andy, George, Harry, everyone, we owe you bigtime.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishTony View Post
    Unbelievably I walked into HMV today [[UK’s version of Sam Goody, Tower Records etc) to see “Mary Wilson The Motown Anthology” on the shelf at GBP 12.99 [[USD 16.94)! Have listened to it – as you fellow posters have said it was WELL worth the wait. So moving to hear how many wonderful recordings Mary had made. Now you all know what my kitchen disco will be playing for days to come. One strange question for fellow Brits buying it: I opened it immediately in a nearby bar and had to return it right away as the cover of the booklet had been torn off and placed apart in the digipak. The replacement was exactly the same. I’m intrigued to know if this is a general occurrence. Really weird. But nothing can stop me enjoying this truly amazing CD. Unlimited thanks to Universal, Andy, George, Harry, everyone, we owe you bigtime.
    Not to many of those HMV stores left open now Tony. Tower Records at Piccadilly Circus was always my happy hunting ground for that rare import.
    Regarding the torn booklet, i ordered my copy from Real Gone Music which arrived on time and in perfect condition. Perhaps it was just a duff batch that HMV had stocked.
    Im glad your also enjoying this rather splendid Anthology which does Mary proud.

This is in the US, but my partner had ordered me a copy for Christmas [[off Amazon, as he didn't know about ordering it direct) and it finally came in last Wednesday. I was pretty dismayed at the booklet I received in my copy. It looked like it had been stuffed into the sleeve by a 4 year old. The booklet has at least 7 or 8 what I call as an ephemera collector, reading bends or sharp creases at all different places on the cover, which really doesn't make sense. While it was obviously sealed upon arrival, it sure looked like the booklet was well thumbed or beat to heck before inserting it!

Thanks Ollie9. That Tower at Piccadilly really was excellent. But there are still over 100 HMVs in UK and we're lucky enough to have great ones in Newcastle & Gateshead. I also got Temptations 60 there yesterday but that's for the other forum. And thanks to DWSheffer we now know booklets are being damaged in US too. It gets weirder. Back to Mary, I thought I was a big fan [[yep, I bought Red Hot, Walk The Line, Ooh Ooh Child, Don't Get Mad, U etc on original release) but never heard Green River before. Wow, what an amazing performance!

I shall be taking a trip down to HMV as soon as I come out of isolation. Am not sure if the Oxford Street branch reopened as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishTony View Post
    Thanks Ollie9. That Tower at Piccadilly really was excellent. But there are still over 100 HMVs in UK and we're lucky enough to have great ones in Newcastle & Gateshead. I also got Temptations 60 there yesterday but that's for the other forum. And thanks to DWSheffer we now know booklets are being damaged in US too. It gets weirder. Back to Mary, I thought I was a big fan [[yep, I bought Red Hot, Walk The Line, Ooh Ooh Child, Don't Get Mad, U etc on original release) but never heard Green River before. Wow, what an amazing performance!
    Just realised it was Juno records that I ordered the Anthology album from Tony. Real Gone doesn't deliver to the UK. As mentioned, great service, on time and in perfect condition. Would definitely order from them again.
    As much as I love the new Anthology album, i consider Mary to be at her solo peak during the late 80’s and beyond. Hoping for more soon.