[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

"Nightflight" Tue May 24, 9P-12M ET: "Jean Terrell Years" boxset with George Solomon!

Name:  WOMRWFMRLOGOredux.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  13.1 KB

Well, folks! It's been a wonderful set of shows over the last 3 weeks with Mary Wilson, Susaye Greene, Scherrie Payne, Andy Skurow and George Solomon, as we aired and celebrated "The Supremes...Let Yourself Go"Vol 2 boxset. And I thank them all for joining me and you and sharing their thoughts about their careers, their music and this great boxset.

Well...it occurred to me that I have never aired [[for various reasons)...or celebrated "The Supremes...The Jean Terrell Years" Vol 1. So, Tuesday night I will do that...especially since this boxset has some of my absolute favorite Supremes recordings. Can I top that? I think I CAN. A gentleman who was exquisitely involved in the producing of this remarkable compliation of JMC/JML recordings will join me live...from Connecticut...George Solomon! George has graciously agreed to join me for most all of the show to talk about the production of and the music in this set. I want to thank George for doing this for us. So join George Solomon...and me...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org
    Thanks!
    John
    Name:  untttttitled.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  24.1 KB

Thanks Johnny! And welcome back George! Should be another great show.

Ramone Verona Guest
    WOW!
    George, Again!
    You may have to get him to do some of his famous impressions!

RIGHT ON! david

Hey John, when is the best time to post our questions regarding the Jean years?

Thanks ALL! Glad you are looking forward to it!

rod_rick...you can post your questions right here...right now! I wanted to get the show's promo up early so that questions could be thought about and posted....thanks!
    John

John, last week George talked about the out takes from RIGHT ON. perhaps he could go into more detail about this album.
    were there any out takes from NEW WAYS or TOUCH that he knows about.
    they were 3 great albums and i still play them today.thanks

david....thanks for starting off the Q & A with a good one!
    John

Can someone record this show please. I am away in France and dont have the resources to record it.

RossHolloway Guest
    Does anyone know exactly how many unreleased tracks exist with Jean on lead? Any idea how many tracks she recorded before starting with the Supremes?

will be most definitely listening to mr. supreme man! any plans on including Jean's Calla 45's?

Here goes:
    Are there in any outtakes from Floy Joy & The Jimmy Webb?

Do a multi lead with Jean Mary & Cindy exsist for Floy Joy as performed on the Merv Griffin Show

Never Can Say Goodbye, is that just Jean, Mary & Cindy on vocals and was it recorded before the J5

Are there any additional vocalist on the Touch lp ie Clydie King on Nathan Jones

Is there anymore Mary Wilson leads in the vault, if so how many

Thanks in advance John and have a great show

i'm still thinking of some JMCL questions. those were real good ones, rod_rick. i would like to ask George if he knows about any "Cindy parts" unreleased from FUNNY GIRL sessions, or G.I.T. sessions, or unreleased JMC sessions? parts, for instance, like she had in "Automatically Sunshine". something tells me George has most likely listened to many of the reels as he has worked with the vaults for a good while....since the early 80's?

RossHolloway Guest
    ^^ Are there any unreleased songs from the Funny Girl sessions?

WOW/You are on a roll

I thought the three for the Final were amazing but this one should be too. I am also a huge fan of the Jean years and would be interested in knowing George's feelings on if there really is enough finished quality material in the vault to have a 70's lost and Found.

also off subject, any More Hits news. perhaps you can have George on again when this set is released.

Ramone Verona Guest
    Yes!
    Please have George comment on unreleased tracks from the yet to be re-released albums like "Funny Girl", "Farewell", "GIT on Broadway", and with Jean-Mary-Cindy-Lynda.
    Solo tracks from Mary during DRATS and beyond that he may have heard.
    George must have listened to something really cool that remains in the vaults that fans have not talked about?!

Ramone Verona Guest
    Oh, I know!
    Ask George if he has ever heard why TCB and GIT have yet to join the bandwagon for release on DVD.

wowwweeeee wowwww wowwww Wowwwwwww! Keep 'em coming!

Cool beans.JP.. looking forward to the Jean years! and welcome back George!

All....thanks!

Hey here I am!!!!! And I'm early!!!1

Hi John and everyone. I'm ready. And the first song is one of the best songs the Supremes ever did.

Hey all!! ...in the studio!

Ramone Verona Guest
    I'm here.
    And no tornado, yet!

Welcome back George. Hope everyone is having a good night.

George, thanks for coming back and visiting with us, we enjoy when you are here at SDF. I always enjoy your posts and thanks for giving us the facts. david from baltimore
    hello Johnny! thanks for keeping motown alive

George's recitation of all The Supremes' hits in two seconds just blew my mind.

George, have you heard the original version of Reflections?

From George's website.

Attachment 3001

Ramone Verona Guest
    I had forgotten all about the "Some Thing's You Never Get Used To" proposed LP.
    Fans used to mention this back in 1970.
    That will be amazing to have someday!!
    Last edited by Ramone Verona; 05-24-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Good evening mj-

Looking forward to another spectacular show; thanks for taking a "step back" and bringing the "Jean Terrell Years" back into the spotlight! So excited to hear George's stories and insight; he truly is a gem and I appreciate listening to him [[and Andy!) Thanks mj for featuring these two great Motown historians.

A couple of questions for GS, if you have time.....

1) There are two great Mary Wilson-lead songs from the Jean Terrell years [[from the "Right On" era), "If You Let Me" and "Send Him To Me". Are there any plans to ever release these two, possibly on a "Lost and Found" 70's set?

2) Of all of the Supremes [[or Motown) releases you've been involved in, is there one that sticks out as your "favorite"?

P.S. In regards to George's "Reflections" LP, there are actual professional "peelers" out there that can remove the "top" cover.

love NATHAN JONES......love to have a longer version of this.

Hi Johnny & George,

Just curious George if now you look back at this first box or the fabulous special editions of the albums you've done and say gosh I wish we had added this or changed this? Maybe found something in the vault after you got the CDs out that you think would further enhance the overall listening experience....

Hi George,
    Looking at the "This Is The Story" and "Let Yourself Go" boxsets, and respecting the great love and care that went into them, I 'm curious. The Jean Terrell years uses a flat finish paper that somewhat mutes the colors/brightness of the photos, many of which were readily available elsewhere. Also the number of photos used is considerably less than the number used for the Scherrie/Susaye years.
    The Final Sessions uses a shiny, glossy paper that displays the photos perfectly, and , in addition, there are many unfamiliar or alternate pictures from familiar photo sessions.
    Was this a choice of the art[[work) department in both cases? Was the use of glossy paper a decision based on comments made on the type of paper used for the first set?
    For future sets, is it possible to use glossy paper for the booklets?

Rod-Rick, there was at least one out take from Floy Joy. i will look it up. Aretha covered the song on one of her albums.

The Touch cover is my favorite Jean Mary Cindy picture. What about the rest of you?

Amazon is displaying both possible "Let Yourself Go" covers- MSC & MSS. The MSC photo is fabulous- a variation of one included in the booklet.

i love the Touch photo. it's my favorite. i just didnt like the rainbow on the cover

wow, i always thought HERE COMES THE SUNRISE could have been a single

was the song MAY HIS LOVE SHINE ON FOREVER, an out take from New Ways. it's got that kinda of feel to me

I Guess I'll Miss the Man- from the Jimmy Webb album has no Blossoms

Hi folks....

i also read somewhere that there is another /alternate mix of UP THE LADDER TO THE ROOF???

i also thought LIFE BEATS would have been a hit as well

CANT GET YOU OUT OF MIND,....another gem! love it.how could this have been locked in a vault for 40 years? beautiful.

On the subject of backing vocals..when you contribute to a song, you expect to be paid. That means there has to be documentation. What happened to those records?

Quote Originally Posted by redlabs View Post
    i also read somewhere that there is another /alternate mix of UP THE LADDER TO THE ROOF???
    I have alternate mix of With A Minute [[Before You Leave Me)..on an acetate. It seems there was a lot of work carried out on Jean before she joined

Love Train was first released in the UK

With regards to the possibility of Cindy being on the Jimmy Webb, "This Is The Story " lists the likely dates for those recordings to have taken place between March 1972-June 1972. Many "Floy Joy' tracks state that background vocals were recorded February 17 & 18, 1972. Very interesting......

Do we know if there was a set track listing for the "Promises Kept" album? It did indeed have a record number, and is listed on a Motown brochure for retailers, but doesn't show any album art. But do we know that it was an entirely recorded LP, ready to be mastered?