[REMOVE ADS]

The Inside Story of Clive Davis and the 5th Dimension...and being dropped from Arista

Apologies if this has been shared already in the past. Very interesting and sad. John Florez first discusses his work with the 5th Dimension for their Soul & Inspiration album. He goes on to talk about how they were dropped from Arista by Clive, around the 11 minute mark.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Apologies if this has been shared already in the past. Very interesting and sad. John Florez first discusses his work with the 5th Dimension for their Soul & Inspiration album. He goes on to talk about how they were dropped from Arista by Clive, around the 11 minute mark.

You can get even more insight into this an other Clive power moves in his autobio., [[The Soundtrack of My Life]] dropped a few years back.

'The Best of My Love' is actually gorgeous in both versions. Davis may be an autocrat and has made poor, un-artistic decisions for performers I love but long-term his commercial antenna can't be denied.

'Hardcore Poetry' is a beautiful, well-meaning snooze. I see it as an 'important' album cut and perhaps the second song on a TV appearance but for me it never catches fire. 'No Love In The Room' is an immediately-replay-it single and certainly should have been supported. Coincidentally I've been re-accessing the music and social-faces of Melanie [[one of my first favorites) and she also has similar stories about Davis. Specifically, 'Put the guitar down and be an 80's woman'. Well ... artistically, YUCK! But, Davis did have a point, regardless of how crassly he stated it, and I can't help but wonder if Melanie had followed his advice for a year or so may have had a resurgence like Carly Simon did.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 03-06-2022 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    You can get even more insight into this an other Clive power moves in his autobio., [[The Soundtrack of My Life]] dropped a few years back.
    Hey, thanks nativeNY63. I will add it to my reading list. I watched his documentary, but I am curious to read his book.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    'No Love In The Room' is an immediately-reply-it single and certainly should have been supported.
    Yes, I tend to wonder how this single would have faired on the Hot 100, had Clive not pulled the plug on it when it was gaining momentum, as per John Florez's statement in the above video.