[REMOVE ADS]

Too Many Fish In The Sea - Phil Collins

I was just listening again to this great cover of The Marvelettes' "Too Many Fish In The Sea" from Phil Collins' album Going Back...

Towards the end, Phil has added a new horn chant that's not present in the Marvelettes' version. Other than that, it's essentially a straight up replica of the track.

But now whenever I listen to the original, I feel like it's somehow missing a horn chant, which is a very strange thing!!!

Anyone else feel the same about it, or about any other Motown originals vs covers?
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 03-05-2022 at 01:25 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Kk5IG2b8E

The Beatles' cover of Please Mr Postman is valid, and good, but doesn't replace the Marvelettes' original.

Well that was interesting [[meaning the Phil song.) Definitely a paint by numbers but you know what they say about flattery. I will also say that if I had heard it without knowing who it was, I would have never guessed Phil.

The original of course remains the best but the Mitch Ryder version, which is part of a medley, adds a different twist to it.

Collins put out an entire album of 60's Motown cover called Looking Back. On the deluxe edition an entire live concert of Motown covers is included and it's actually pretty good. Collins obviously loves the Motown Sound and it shows on this album. Phil takes on Girl [[Why You Wanna Make Me Blue), Heatwave, Going To A Go-Go, Papa Was a Rolling Stone, Something About You, Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer and others. Definitely worth seeking out and listening to.

I totally agree SBlues, I think Phil's Going Back album recaptures the Motown Sound as well as physically possible, and is a testament to his genuine love for the music!!!

What I think about Phil Collins would have me barred for life from the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    What I think about Phil Collins would have me barred for life from the internet!
    LOL same here but a step up from the elevator muzak that was Michael McDonald

"Two Hearts" was great because there was no original version to compare it with.