[REMOVE ADS]

Automatically Sunshine [[2021 Alternate Mix)

One of my favorites from the Anthology.

Fully realized and definite hit contender in the US - minus the great to hear, but who needs it? extra verse. Wow.

I agree that verses 1 and 3 are the strongest. and we've received snippets of the instrumental breaks on previous alt versions. they too also struck me as nice but unnecessary.

now though when you hear the fully unedited version, you hear how it all works together. I think the 45 single as released is very strong - although perhaps bringing more of the instruments back into the mix would have helped.

but the longer unedited version would have been great to include on the lp!

also I think the reason the song sort of flopped in the US was lack of promotion. it was released right when Cindy was exiting so no tv promotion of it. then there was the flopped tour of Australia and all that was cancelled due to Jean's illness. you had a few shows with the MLC lineup, etc. lots of confusion.

then once Lynda was in the group, during the summer they were beginning to promote their Webb work. there's a Dick Cavett episode where they sang Tossin' and talked about the recording work with Jimmy. so they were already sort of dropping the whole 'working with Smokey' thing