[REMOVE ADS]

Touch [[2021 Alternate Mix)

Over the last few years I've suspected that this song might have done better as a Mary lead without Jean. I'm more convinced now than ever. Although I think it's also possible a Jean lead without Mary might have also had a better showing than the original release, but I think the song was better suited to Mary. This mix is beautiful.

love Mary's vocal on this and have always thought this was HER song, her debute, even tho she has sung lead before and after. just feel like this was the beginning of what would be. sorry she didnt keep it in her live show

This is much better who is singing lead

Even though there is the use of the word "boy," if you don't hear that, with it bouncing back between Mary and Jean, it sounds like a love song between two women. I received my copy yesterday [[3/4/22) and that was the first time that thought had occurred to me and I bought the original LP when it first came out. Something about this mix made me think that way.

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    Even though there is the use of the word "boy," if you don't hear that, with it bouncing back between Mary and Jean, it sounds like a love song between two women. I received my copy yesterday [[3/4/22) and that was the first time that thought had occurred to me and I bought the original LP when it first came out. Something about this mix made me think that way.
    yeah I always thought it was odd too. it might have been less so if there was more group singing. then the ladies taking various lines here and there. but when the lead is 50/50 split like this, it sounds like a romantic duet sung to one another. So maybe give Mary the majority of the song and then Jean and Cindy do a few lines here and there. and add in more 3-part group singing prior to the bridge.

the other problem IMO with Touch [[regardless of the version) is the odd intro. in the released versions it's an eerie/creepy vibe. the cold opening here eliminates that but is too abrupt.

the song becomes incredibly lush by the bridge and after. and i'm all for building to a climax but the change is too abrupt here. maybe a more romantic and lovely intro would have helped. and I think the song should open with either Jean or the group. Mary's voice isn't familiar enough to the record buyers and listeners.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    the other problem IMO with Touch [[regardless of the version) is the odd intro. in the released versions it's an eerie/creepy vibe. the cold opening here eliminates that but is too abrupt.

the song becomes incredibly lush by the bridge and after. and i'm all for building to a climax but the change is too abrupt here. maybe a more romantic and lovely intro would have helped. and I think the song should open with either Jean or the group. Mary's voice isn't familiar enough to the record buyers and listeners.
    Good point. I find the intro on the original version to be pretty dull and cold considering the romantic sentiment of the song. It hardly sets the tone.
    As regards the record being a hit, i agree in that Jean’s more familiar voice might have worked better singing the opening lines with Mary to follow.
    At the end of the day i would have still preferred a Mary solo, but wish she had been allowed to let rip a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    Someone in the forum pointed this out a couple years ago and for the first time I kind of understood it. If Frank heard the song as a duet in his head, it might have been better if he used it for the Supremes and the Tops. But I don't think the song failed because of the two women. For whatever reason it didn't catch on. The Supremes weren't exactly known for their ballads also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Good point. I find the intro on the original version to be pretty dull and cold considering the romantic sentiment of the song. It hardly sets the tone.
    As regards the record being a hit, i agree in that Jean’s more familiar voice might have worked better singing the opening lines with Mary to follow.
    At the end of the day i would have still preferred a Mary solo, but wish she had been allowed to let rip a little more.
    I love the intro. It's what drew me in on the first listen. But Mary's Anthology version's intro is even better.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I love the intro. It's what drew me in on the first listen. But Mary's Anthology version's intro is even better.
    I think the song works better with some kind of intro. The Anthology version just dives straight in. I agree with sup in that it might have worked better with Jean singing the first few lines as the public were more familiar with her voice at that time.

I love this version as well. Always thought this song was the girls or Motown way of getting Mary's voice out front more. I still can remember the first time I heard it on the living room floor in front of the record player. I didn't want to lift the needle and scratch the record so I listen to the whole album again [[side one) just to hear "Touch".

i mentioned this in another post but not sure many saw it

Mary started wearing her Touch dress in photos of MJC that were taken over a year earlier. at the Copa in April 70, she's wearing it back stage. and according to the notes we have on the recording, the track was recorded in Feb 71. seems like Frank was looking into ways to use Mary's voice pretty much from the start of the JMC lineup

and then the recordings with Deke in 69 and into 70 too.

it's clear that motown intended for Jean to be the lead but were at least exploring how things could evolve a bit