[REMOVE ADS]

Summer of 1967 setlist

From a Supremes program booklet; the original owner was at the August 5th, 1967 show at the Allentown Fair. This would have been one of Cindy's first shows:

From This Moment On

Put on a Happy face

Baby Love

Stop! In the Name of Love

The Boy from Ipanema

Come See About Me

People

My World is Empty Without You

Rock-A-Bye Your Baby

Let Me Love You Medley

More

Somewhere

I Hear a Symphony

Sam Cooke Medley

The Lady is a Tramp

You Can't Hurry Love

You Keep Me Hangin' On

You're Nobody 'til Somebody Loves You

Love is Like an Itchin' In My Heart

Queen of the House

Love is Here and Now You're Gone

The Happening

Burning question: what is the LET ME LOVE YOU medley?

I'll make bet that there was an asterisk at the bottom of this list basically stating that The Supremes may or may not perform all songs on the list. I bet they rotated things in and out of the show. With all of these songs it would've been a much longer show that we've heard them do in the resulting years. Still, could you imagine if they DID do a show with all these songs--either with Florence or with Cindy?! *SWOON*

Wow that's certainly a different set list from The Hollywood Bowl and Copa 67. No "Michelle, or Yesterday"? If the Happening wasn't included in the listing I would have thought it was a 1966 set list. Was Cindy or Florence on the cover of the booklet

That setlist looks like what appeared in those Supremes tour programs. I don't think those were up to date with what they were actually doing. Likely what fans saw the Allentown show was likely the same as the '67 Copa show - maybe a few tweaks here or there.

By this time, they were no longer doing all hits in their entirety. The hits medley was in place. "Love Is Here" and "The Happening" were still being done in full before being shortened when they redid the act before going to Europe in '68. We know "Reflections" was added into the show in August as it was recorded during their August '67 Roostertail gig. "You Can't Hurry Love" was cut when they introduced "In And Out Of Love" into the show which always perplexed me. It was a massive hit yet only used in their show for a little over a year before being removed. Same with "I Hear A Symphony."

"People," "Rock-A-Bye Your Baby," "The Boy From Ipanema," and "Love Is Like An Itchin' In My Heart" were removed from their act before Cindy joined the group - some were gone by the time of the '66 Roostertail show.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 03-01-2022 at 09:30 PM.

I wonder when "People" was taken out. I'm assuming by early 1967 it was gone. I've heard that they were still doing "Back In My Arms Again" at least up until the Copa gig in 1967. I also saw a set list from one of their shows in April of that year and it was pretty much the Copa show except it had both "Back In My Arms Again" and "You Keep Me Hanging On". I know at some point they alternated between the two in the set. Also "People" was not in the setlist for that April show. It's a shame they didn't do the Hollywood Bowl set more often.
    Last edited by floyjoy678; 03-02-2022 at 11:17 AM.

I think Back was still in the show until probably Flo was gone for good. they did it at the Hollywood Bowl show with Cindy so it was clearly still in the act in April 67.

it seems they [[more or less) kept 4 -5 big recent hits in the show. Like on TOTT we have all of the singles between YKMHO and IAOOL. Then of course there's the "old" hits medley. Guess YCHL was just unlucky enough to be #6 and so it was out. it was still used for TCB but not on Farewell. On that set you had Love is Here, Reflections, Love Child, I'm Gonne and Someday. clearly all of the underperforming songs would be cut. Not sure why they kept LIHANYG and not Happening. perhaps personal preferences?

When I saw DMF last in late Feb ‘67, People was in. Back was in but I do not recall Itching. Summer ‘69, had the medley, Love Is Here, Gonna, Love Child and Hangin’ - I was shocked no Back, Symphony or Hurry or anything newer than Gonna.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    When I saw DMF last in late Feb ‘67, People was in. Back was in but I do not recall Itching. Summer ‘69, had the medley, Love Is Here, Gonna, Love Child and Hangin’ - I was shocked no Back, Symphony or Hurry or anything newer than Gonna.
    "I'm Livin' In Shame" was in for a very brief period in early '69 but was removed, according to Cindy, because Diana didn't like singing it. "Forever Came Today" and "Some Things You Never Get Used To" were also in the live show for brief periods. To my knowledge, the only singles never added to the show were "The Composer" and "No Matter What Sign You Are."

Did anyone see them in mid-late '66 and recall them doing "Itchin'?"

Anyone know about the "Let Me Love You" medley? Maybe it was something the orchestra/band played in middle of show for The Supremes to go off stage for a gown change?

I'm pretty sure that was the Let There Be Love medley they did.

someone just shared a review from the June 67 Flamingo appearance. was a lovely write up and mentioned:

put on a happy face
    queen of the house
    more
    yesterday
    lady is a tramp
    the happening
    hits medley
    you're nobody till somebody

stated the show was 55 mins so that's pretty much what we got on the Copa 67 show. that also included My Fav Things, You keep me hangin on, I hear a symphony, from this moment on, love is here, somewhere, you can't hurry love and millie/rose/mame.

I believe that that their setlist in 1967 was the same as their set list at the Copa in May of 1967. I believe that they had 2 set lists which I know we are both familiar. The set list at the Copa and the set listing for their show at the Hollywood bowl in 67'. From my understanding the Copa list was used for their club engagements, and the Hollywood Bowl list was used for their concerts where there were younger attendees.

See link :http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/DiscoLP-Supremes-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy1968 View Post
    I believe that that their setlist in 1967 was the same as their set list at the Copa in May of 1967. I believe that they had 2 set lists which I know we are both familiar. The set list at the Copa and the set listing for their show at the Hollywood bowl in 67'. From my understanding the Copa list was used for their club engagements, and the Hollywood Bowl list was used for their concerts where there were younger attendees.

See link :http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/DiscoLP-Supremes-1.htm
    I think they mostly used 1 set list. even for the college dates. while I agree with you that they SHOULD have altered things for the younger crowd, I don't think they regularly did. I think Brad mentioned that the Hollywood Bowl show was a special gig that they altered the set for

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    From a Supremes program booklet; the original owner was at the August 5th, 1967 show at the Allentown Fair. This would have been one of Cindy's first shows:

From This Moment On

Put on a Happy face

Baby Love

Stop! In the Name of Love

The Boy from Ipanema

Come See About Me

People

My World is Empty Without You

Rock-A-Bye Your Baby

Let Me Love You Medley

More

Somewhere

I Hear a Symphony

Sam Cooke Medley

The Lady is a Tramp

You Can't Hurry Love

You Keep Me Hangin' On

You're Nobody 'til Somebody Loves You

Love is Like an Itchin' In My Heart

Queen of the House

Love is Here and Now You're Gone

The Happening
    Yes, this would have been one of Cindy’s first shows, but it appears from this newspaper article dated 7th August 1967, journalists at the previous day’s press conference hadn’t been informed of this recent change in the line-up - “Miss Ross and the two other members of the Supremes – Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson are appearing nightly at the Allentown Fair.” Still early days I guess, with Motown keeping quiet about Florence leaving only a month previously.

https://www.newspapers.com/article/1...-morning-call/

nice set list but to many standards, i think i would drop, your nobody till somebody, Queen of the house and keep the hits like you cant hurry love...i hear a symphony

According to dannyboy’s link, they did perform “No Matter What Sign You Are” at the Waldorf Astoria engagements in May ‘69.

Since we’re on the topic of setlists, does anyone know how the songs they were performing by the time they did their Farewell concert album were introduced into the sets? When did they get rid of songs they were doing in the Talk of the Town set and start adding songs they were doing for their final concerts like “Falling in Love,” “Can’t Take My Eyes off You,” My Man” “The Impossible Dream,” “Big Spender,” etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by MotownFan1 View Post
    According to dannyboy’s link, they did perform “No Matter What Sign You Are” at the Waldorf Astoria engagements in May ‘69.
    Yes, I found this information in Cashbox [[May 24, 1969 issue). Several other magazines mention parts of the set list but this is the only one that mentions NMWSYA.

I agree, this set list appeared dated. Itching In My Heart came out of the show very quickly as did Nothing But Heartaches

all of the program booklets through much of the 60s are variations on the same. they of course updated with more recent photos and all. but bios, the boilerplate statements about finishing high school first..." and stuff like that were mostly recycled from program to program. and the set list, they probably just took the initial list and updated a few of the hits. the girls often added and deleted songs - Let There Be Love, My Fav things.

does anyone know how long Boy From Ipenema was in the act? from what i know, it was never done on tv?

what about I Am Woman? they had used it prior to Copa. according to the Copa booket it, Enjoy Yourself and Nothing But Heartaches were each only performed 1x during the night recorded.